[Add on App] Weather Image Updater for the Home Screen
Information 
I just put together a small program that will grab an image off the web, and save it to a folder so XBMC can use it on the home screen. I made it for my own use, then decided others may want to use it as well, so I decided to post it here.

The program can use any .jpg image, and you set the image, download interval, and location to save it to in the ini.

I used it to grab my local TV stations 7 day forecast, and display it when the weather button is selected on the home screen.

Depending on the skin you are using, and the image you choose, you may have to tweak the current conditions icon and labels positions. You can see in the image below, I moved the labels to now be along the bottom of the screen.

Here is a screen capture of it in the PM3 skin:

You can download the program HERE (360 Kb)

All instructions for setting it up are in the ReadMe.txt.

This is my first "add on" for XBMC, so let me know what you think, and if you have any questions, feel free to let me know as well Smile
------------------------------------------
Intel Quad core 3.8 Ghz / Windows 11 Pro / 32 gigs RAM/ MCE Remote /20 Tb storage / Intel Iris 550 chip-set outputting 4k via HDMI to a 80" LED TV / just over 5,800 movies

Have you entered your 5 Movies? - Support themoviedb.org as THE best open source movie information site.
Ok, nice job.
But did you know you can have weather fanart.
Double post. Sorry
I'd like to see this be able to be thrown into the mix of my changing weather fanart, and maybe a radar image as well.
Waffa Wrote:Ok, nice job.
But did you know you can have weather fanart.

Yes, I was completely aware of the weather fanart, but I was not aware it could use images from the internet.

joebrady Wrote:I'd like to see this be able to be thrown into the mix of my changing weather fanart, and maybe a radar image as well.

As for radar, simply find the URL to a radar image. You can use ANY image that you can get a link to, Radar, Satellite, Conditions.... whatever... and use that.

This is a LIVE radar image of the US (You will need to use the static one, as XBMC will not show animated gif's Sad )

LIVE US Temperature map:
Intel Quad core 3.8 Ghz / Windows 11 Pro / 32 gigs RAM/ MCE Remote /20 Tb storage / Intel Iris 550 chip-set outputting 4k via HDMI to a 80" LED TV / just over 5,800 movies

Have you entered your 5 Movies? - Support themoviedb.org as THE best open source movie information site.
I don't think the weather fanart based from weather condition can use images from the internet. All the images are stored locally. But if you could incorrporate the two together, this would be a great feature for the home screen.

Hover on the weather button, five day forcast pic is show-fanart is shown-static updated radar image is shown-fanart image- five day forcast-fanart-ect
joebrady Wrote:I don't think the weather fanart based from weather condition can use images from the internet. All the images are stored locally. But if you could incorrporate the two together, this would be a great feature for the home screen.

Hover on the weather button, five day forcast pic is show-fanart is shown-static updated radar image is shown-fanart image- five day forcast-fanart-ect

As far as I knew it only used static fanart images as well.

As for the whole fanart aspect of this for the weather... I am just not following you guys... The weather fanart works to the point, if it is raining, to show a fanart of a rainy day from a folder on the local drive. If its clear, show a picture of clear skies over a valley or something ect. None of those are "dynamic", meaning they are all static images. This small app was meant to just grab an image from the net, and show any picture you can get a URL to "live", and update that image at a chosen interval.

What exactly is it that people want? If its possible I can alter the script to make additions ect.

Don't get me wrong, the app is good and does it's function. And I'm not complaining or requesting a change. I was basically just thinking out loud really. If this had come along before the weather fanart I probably would have been using it, but I like the changing backgrounds of the fanart. I was just thinking the best of both worlds would be cool is all.
yea, the fanart is just so different from this little app. The fanart is from the hard drive, and always the same images, where this grabs an image from the net to be displayed.

I just do not see how to "merge" the two. Unless when the forecast calls for rain, you download a current radar image, if it is clear, download a current satellite image Big Grin

Yea, I did not think the two could be easily merged either, like I said, it was more a "what if" thought.... kudos on the app tho!Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Add on App] Weather Image Updater for the Home Screen0