[LINUX] HOW-TO use all custom buttons of your remote control with LIRC
Nogood5 Wrote:When i try to edit these files winSCP denies me access. Same with Filezilla.
I am still very much a Linux noob so would appreciate some directions.

I tried copying them over to: /home/xbmc/.xbmc/system for lircmap and /keymaps/ for the remote.xml

But my changes take no effect. How can i get access to these files? Or was i on the right track by copying them over.
This is likely due to the fact that those files are owned by root and you're probably trying to edit them as a user. Regardless the way that the .xbmc/userdata files work is that any settings defined in them override any of the settings in /usr. So really all you need are the settings that apply to your remote. You can copy them, you should at least have read access, but you don't need the whole file, just the things that you're going to change.
Nogood5 Wrote:When i try to edit these files winSCP denies me access. Same with Filezilla.
I am still very much a Linux noob so would appreciate some directions.

As Maxim said, you can't overwrite files in /usr/share/xbmc/... or /usr/local/share/xbmc/... if you do not have root (Administrator) access. Therefore you should log into your xbmc account (the account name of the user which runs the xbmc executable) and copy your files into the local settings folder, which should be /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/ (if your xbmc account is named 'xbmc').

Quote:I tried copying them over to: /home/xbmc/.xbmc/system for lircmap and /keymaps/ for the remote.xml

The paths to the two files are:

/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml
/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/Keymap.xml

Be aware that the file names are case sensitive. I don't know which file you refer to with 'remote.xml'.
I am running a recent SVN. They changed the keymap.xml to a folder called keymaps. In which remote.xml subtitutes the keymap.xml.

I will check this weekend in how to trick my XBMC live to let me edit my files and will report back.
With the latest SVN changes does the Lircmap.xml still go in /home/xbmc.xbmc/userdata/?

I'm trying to change the mapping of the <title> action to the Guide button on my MCE remote.

I've copied the whole MCE section of Lircmap.xml, edited <title>Guide</title>, and copied the xml file to /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/ but XBMC is not picking up the change in mapping.

Any tips on where to place my customised Lircmap.xml? I'm running an updated Live hard disk installation, so don't have easy root access to the system files.

Edit: Okay, it would help if I put </lircmap> at the end of my xml file.

Custom file located at /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml and all working fine.
Is there a gui out there to make this easy?
Tainted Wrote:Is there a gui out there to make this easy?

No, afaik noone wrote a GUI yet. You have to edit your files manually.
Finally found my solution for my lircmap.xml problems. There was a lircmap.xml located in /usr/share/xbmc/system.

I mirrored that to /home/xbmc/.xbmc/system. However the changes aren't registered as an edited lircmap.xml should be located in home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata.

Seems strange to me that a lircmap.xml is located in the system subfolder? Could that be from a faulty update or a problem resulting from the merge earlier this month?
Is there a way to set a keyboard command to the remote? For example:

<keymap>
<global>
<remote>
<pageminus>C</pageminus>
</remote>
</global>
</keymap>

I would like to have a "pressed c" on my channeldown button of my remote. Is there a way? My above sample does not work at all.

Thanks for any hint!
Zubbeli Wrote:Is there a way to set a keyboard command to the remote?

No, you can't trigger keyboard keys with your remote. But you can trigger the same XBMC action. First you have to check which XBMC action is triggered when you press 'C' on your keyboard. Then you have to map this XBMC action to your remote's button.

Suppose the keyboard key 'c' triggers the action 'PageDown'. Then you have to add the following mapping:

Quote: <pageminus>PageDown</pageminus>

Zubbeli Wrote:<keymap>
<global>
<remote>
<pageminus>C</pageminus>
</remote>
</global>
</keymap>

My above sample does not work at all.

You have to add a "device" entry to your "<remote>" tag:

Quote:<keymap>
<global>
<remote device="My_Lirc_Remote_Name">
<pageminus>PageDown</pageminus>
</remote>
</global>
</keymap>
Hi Temar,

this is my problem. I can't find the corresponding XBMC Action command to the "c"-key. "c" will open the submenu for a file where you can select "set contents" (and other things) for instance.
Zubbeli Wrote:Hi Temar,

this is my problem. I can't find the corresponding XBMC Action command to the "c"-key. "c" will open the submenu for a file where you can select "set contents" (and other things) for instance.

I think you are looking for the XBMC action 'ContextMenu'.

Try this:

Quote:<keymap>
<global>
<remote device="My_Lirc_Remote_Name">
<pageminus>ContextMenu</pageminus>
</remote>
</global>
</keymap>
Hmm... I must be blind :o
Thanks a lot - that's it!
How does the trumping actually work between the remote.xml file in /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps directory and the one in the /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps directory?

I want to remove a mapping for a key in one window. First I deleted the appropriate entry from the /userdata/keymaps/remote.xml file. I also tried having a blank action for that button (along the lines of <Red></Red>). Neither method worked for eliminating that button.
Hi,

I have a Zotac MAG (ION+NVIDIA) nettop running Ubuntu Minimal 9.10 x86_64, and installed XBMC on it successfully. I want to use a Universal Remote Control with XBMC, but have not been able to make it work after reading and applying all I found about IR remotes in the site ...

I am using an IguanaWorks IR Transciever (http://iguanaworks.net/product1.psp) with LIRC (compiled from source) and a Motorola DRC-800 remote control (http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/...C800_US_EN).

Lirc is set up OK, the IR Transceiver and the remote are working OK, and I can see all activity on the remote with 'irw'. Here, you can see it receives correctly the "commands" power, up, down, right, left, ok, info, menu, guide and exit:

root@localhost:~# irw
0000000000005006 00 power Motorola_DRC800
0000000000002c09 01 up Motorola_DRC800
000000000000ac01 00 down Motorola_DRC800
000000000000ec06 02 right Motorola_DRC800
0000000000006c0e 00 left Motorola_DRC800
0000000000008807 01 ok Motorola_DRC800
000000000000cc05 00 info Motorola_DRC800
0000000000009806 02 menu Motorola_DRC800
0000000000000c0b 01 guide Motorola_DRC800
000000000000480b 00 exit Motorola_DRC800

For reference, here is my /etc/lirc/lircd.conf:

begin remote
name Motorola_DRC800
bits 16
flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
eps 30
aeps 100
header 9044 4418
one 561 4416
zero 561 2175
ptrail 561
repeat 9045 2197
gap 99420
toggle_bit 0
begin codes
power 0x5006
vod 0x580A
ppv 0x180E
rewind 0x7808
play 0xD802
forward 0xB804
record 0x8C03
pause 0xF800
stop 0x380C
replay 0x3C08
list 0xBC00
livetv 0x7C0F
mute 0xF008
fav 0xA805
help 0x4C0D
last 0xC803
vol-up 0xB00C
vol-down 0x7004
chan-up 0xD00A
chan-down 0x3002
page-up 0x5C0C
page-down 0xDC04
exit 0x480B
info 0xCC05
guide 0x0C0B
menu 0x9806
day-plus 0x1C0A
day-minus 0x9C02
ok 0x8807
left 0x6C0E
right 0xEC06
up 0x2C09
down 0xAC01
a 0xE801
b 0xE40E
c 0x1406
1 0x800F
2 0x4007
3 0xC00B
4 0x2003
5 0xA00D
6 0x6005
7 0xE009
8 0x1001
9 0x900E
0 0x0000
input 0x280D
aspect 0x0203
pip_onoff 0x4403
pip_swap 0xC40D
pip_move 0x2405
pip_chan_up 0xA409
pip_chan_down 0x6401
end codes
end remote

So far, so good. The problem seems to be in passing that information from Lirc to XBMC. I set up my Lircmap.xml file in /home/user/.xbmc/userdata/ (user is the actual user running xbmc-standalone), and it contains:

root@localhost:~# more /home/user/.xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml
<lircmap>
<remote device="Motorola_DRC800">
<pause>pause</pause>
<stop>day-minus</stop>
<left>left</left>
<right>right</right>
<up>up</up>
<down>down</down>
<select>ok</select>
<pageplus>chan-up</pageplus>
<pageminus>chan-down</pageminus>
<menu>menu</menu>
<title>guide</title>
<info>info</info>
<power>power</power>
<myvideo>a</myvideo>
<mymusic>b</mymusic>
<mypictures>c</mypictures>
<one>1</one>
<two>2</two>
<three>3</three>
<four>4</four>
<five>5</five>
<six>6</six>
<seven>7</seven>
<eight>8</eight>
<nine>9</nine>
<zero>0</zero>
</remote>
</lircmap>

I also copied the standard /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/remote.xml to /home/user/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml

I also copied thos Lircmap.xml and remote.xml to the corresponding (same) directories under the user 'xbmc' home directory.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. If any additional information is required, please let me know and I will post it.

Thank you,

AP
Bogota - Colombia
Southamerica
I have the exact same problem as albertoparis above.

- My LIRC works fine (using it for month with MythTV).
- irw outputs all my remote codes.
- I've tried all kinds of configuration files (remote.xml, Keymap.xml, Lircmap.xml etc), none changed a thing:
XBMC just won't recognize a keypress.

Too bad, I think I'll have to switch to MythTV again.. *sigh*

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO use all custom buttons of your remote control with LIRC2