Self compiling auto update xbmc
I looked around and didn't see anything relevant.

I was wondering if any thoughts to including self update and compilation into xbmc? I realize that its probably not possible to self compiles on xbox (and t3ch updater does a good job at updating), but linux it should be and possibly via windows as well?

I am not sure it would be necessary to include everything required in the main xbmc package, but perhaps some small scripts/addon which could be used to download and configure automatically the required programs and dependencies, then download xbmc sources from svn and compile all by itself.

If this was standardized and included within xbmc, then might cut down on all the 'I used the lasted build' or 'did you use the lastest build?' posts.

Ideally, some such feature would allow the user to easily return to previous builds and have some way to boot to 'safe mode' or last known good build if problems happen which prevent xbmc from running.

Anyway, I was just thinking aloud and wanted to know what others thought and what options are out there for all the platforms.
It would be a lot of overhead. I say that the pros out weight the cons. Especially when there when there are pre-compiled binaries distributed by multiple platforms, but just not in an automated fashion.
This should be addressed with scripts, but on windows there is no freeware compiler. The other thing is problems with updating a running executable and systemfiles.
I beg to differ ... VC 2008 Express is a freeware compiler for windows...
Just a FYI I have just made a script that will do this on linux / live. it needs some additions to sudoers file or run xbmc as sudo but all in all it works great.

Will add to google-code when its polished.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Topfs2 Wrote:Just a FYI I have just made a script that will do this on linux / live. it needs some additions to sudoers file or run xbmc as sudo but all in all it works great.

Will add to google-code when its polished.

Liar, you said it updates from PPA on IRC.
althekiller Wrote:Liar, you said it updates from PPA on IRC.

Goddamnit, I only read "auto update xbmc" from the thread title, you are indeed right, my script only upgrade via libapt.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
What is the status on the built in plugin update ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Self compiling auto update xbmc0