TrueHD & DTS-MA (HDMI & Analog) Anyone?
Does anyone have a definitive answer on if XBMC Linux will pass these HD Audio codecs either via HDMI or Analog Audio Outs (6 or 8 channel).

If this is possible, can someone steer me in the right direction. I do see the thread on HDMI Audio so that is great, but I can't find much on if it does pass TrueHD.

Any help on the analog audio out would also be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Bump
xfiring Wrote:Does anyone have a definitive answer on if XBMC Linux will pass these HD Audio codecs either via HDMI or Analog Audio Outs (6 or 8 channel).

If this is possible, can someone steer me in the right direction. I do see the thread on HDMI Audio so that is great, but I can't find much on if it does pass TrueHD.

Any help on the analog audio out would also be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Sorry for the late reply, I have not done anything further at this point in regards to testing it out, I just down converted any of mine that were, for me I would like to get 6 ch LPCM working via hdmi and then just convert all my hd movies that way.

rgds,

Dave
Any chance you could test a M2TS file with a TrueHD stream? I'd sure like to know the answer to this question.

I do appreciate all you've done in this area.
TrueHD will be passed out as standard dts if you have passthrough enabled. There is no drivers available currently that support passthrough of the complete TrueHD stream.

If analog output is selected, it will just also be decoded as standard dts and output using your standard audio device.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thank you for your answer. In the future when this gets supported, is it safe to assume it will pass through the TrueHD stream?
I personally would love to just see 6 channel LPCM working over HDMI. I have converted a number of HD audio tracks to multichannel FLAC files but as is I can only get stereo playback over HDMI when watching them. Passthrough of HD codecs would be awesome but 6 channel LPCM could serve a lot more people. I know that the latest ALSA has support for HDMI audio frames but my knowledge and abilities in Linux end there.

Nod Here's hoping for multi-channel LPCM support sometime soon Nod

-Will
Bahndit Wrote:I know that the latest ALSA has support for HDMI audio frames but my knowledge and abilities in Linux end there.

Nod Here's hoping for multi-channel LPCM support sometime soon Nod
EDIT: Wait apparently in the ALSA git, the Intel HDMI driver has added support for 2-8 channels over HDMI, but ATI and NVidia are still limited to 2.
Does FFMPEG decode TrueHD and DTS MA?
CapnBry Wrote:EDIT: Wait apparently in the ALSA git, the Intel HDMI driver has added support for 2-8 channels over HDMI, but ATI and NVidia are still limited to 2.

CapnBry,
Thanks for the input I didn't realize that the 2-8 channel support was limited to the Intel boards.

Thanks,
Will
elupus Wrote:TrueHD will be passed out as standard dts if you have passthrough enabled. There is no drivers available currently that support passthrough of the complete TrueHD stream.

If analog output is selected, it will just also be decoded as standard dts and output using your standard audio device.

Do you mean that (Dolby) TrueHD is converted to DTS ? I would like this very much, but I'm afraid this is not the case, at least for now. Perhaps you ment DTS-HD (or DTS HD MA) is passed out as standard DTS ? This should be easy, as no conversion is needed, as old DTS (core) is always there embedded.
Bahndit Wrote:CapnBry,
Thanks for the input I didn't realize that the 2-8 channel support was limited to the Intel boards.

Thanks,
Will

Is that code in the hda_intel.c file or in the intel chipset.c files. If it is in the hda_intel module files then we should be able to use it as well. Because it seems most snd cards are using that module when compiling for hdmi anyhow.

for now I am just reconverting all my AC3, TrueHD, E-ACE, DTS-MA (-core) to 1536 48K DTS files works and sounds awesome, I want LPCM - Big Grin

Dave
rodercot Wrote:Is that code in the hda_intel.c file or in the intel chipset.c files. If it is in the hda_intel module files then we should be able to use it as well. Because it seems most snd cards are using that module when compiling for hdmi anyhow.
Well it is in hda_intel the driver, but the driver loads patches for the actual hardware. The patch for actual intel hdmi chips (and SiI1392 whoever that is) is the only one that exposes device caps greater than 2 channels. These cards are identified in ALSA as "INTEL HDMI". The ATI patch does do a write to set the number of channels but it is fixed at 2, so I assume the code there isn't quite done.

If you want to see for yourself it is in the ALSA git under alsa-driver/alsa-kernel/pci/hda/
CapnBry Wrote:Well it is in hda_intel the driver, but the driver loads patches for the actual hardware. The patch for actual intel hdmi chips (and SiI1392 whoever that is) is the only one that exposes device caps greater than 2 channels. These cards are identified in ALSA as "INTEL HDMI". The ATI patch does do a write to set the number of channels but it is fixed at 2, so I assume the code there isn't quite done.

If you want to see for yourself it is in the ALSA git under alsa-driver/alsa-kernel/pci/hda/

Yes! Makes sense. Sil I believe is Silicon Graphics, the codec manufacturer. So on an SPDIF output it is restricted due to Bandwith limitation, correct? So it has to be HDMI. I am sure if we have to rely on NVIDIA we will be a while as they look like they are more into the vdpau stuff right now or is this an Alsa scripting/coding issue.

Dave

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TrueHD & DTS-MA (HDMI & Analog) Anyone?0