Which Ubuntu version is best for me?
I'm using a 110" screen (via front projection) at 720p so it sounds like I might need denoise. However, on my Vista MCE everything looked great and I don't believe it was using denoise or anything.

Why does XBMC need it? (or does it just improve the quality over BOTH Vista MCE and XBMC?)
sofakng Wrote:I'm using a 110" screen (via front projection) at 720p so it sounds like I might need denoise. However, on my Vista MCE everything looked great and I don't believe it was using denoise or anything.

Why does XBMC need it? (or does it just improve the quality over BOTH Vista MCE and XBMC?)

you might not need to apply any filter, with 720p I am not sure if the imperfection would as obvious as 1080p, so it all depends on the quality of content, bit rate is, etc....
AS for comparing it to Vista, what player were you using? you need to keep in mind that prior to VDPAU, XBMC didn't do any video postprocessing, it would display your content as it is.

You need to test and determine if you are satisfied with the picture quality, based on that you need you can add/remove filters
I was using Vista MCE (Windows Media Player 11?) with ffdshow codecs.

Suppose you have a direct BluRay rip and you play it with XBMC. Would you typically need a filter?

Do standalone BluRay players use filters?

I'm trying to figure out if XBMC typically requires filters to achieve the same quality as other players, or if the filters make the picutre better than other players.

Sorry for so many questions. I really appreciate all of your help!
I can't see why you would need a filter if the BluRay rip is of good quality.

If you play a 1080p BluRay movie on a 1920 x 1080 display, a filter will probably degrade quality if the ripped video is untouched.

On poor rips of low quality however, a filter might improve quality.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Ubuntu version is best for me?0