XBMC vs the Forks
I've been happily using XBMC Linux for almost a year now, however I've been put into a situation where I need to run OS X. Two issues:

1. I've tried running XBMC, Boxee & Plex under OS X and for me at least the Apple Remote won't start XBMC - it does start both Plex & Boxee. I've checked Apple Remote Always On...anything else I need to do? I did search, came up with nada useful.

2. Can I share data between OS X and Linux? My .xbmc folder lives on an NFS share and I've been using it between two different Linux boxes w/o problems. How can I add the OS X box to the mix? Only one box will be used at a time.

Thanks!
1. This could be due to the way you're running it - I'm not sure. Are you building it yourself? I believe it may only work if you have installed the .app package. It's not working for me either, but I've been way too lazy to figure out why as yet, plus I just leave it running until I need to rebuild Smile. Scott Davilla will no doubt jump in with more information for you to try things out.

2. Sharing the userdata is not really advised - what exactly are you wanting to share? Obviously the media files will not be a problem.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

JeffElkins Wrote:Can I share data between OS X and Linux?

Since it's ill advised to share the DBs for userdata, you can export the data to "single files" and that'll save time and bandwidth when importing the data into the other XBMC. That data that's in the single files can, in essence, be shared. However, I would imagine that might be some differences in how the DBs are managed between the platforms. It probably wouldn't hurt to create (after searching for) a trac for taking that into consideration in the future.
jmarshall Wrote:1. This could be due to the way you're running it - I'm not sure. Are you building it yourself? I believe it may only work if you have installed the .app package. It's not working for me either, but I've been way too lazy to figure out why as yet, plus I just leave it running until I need to rebuild Smile. Scott Davilla will no doubt jump in with more information for you to try things out.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I just downloaded the .dmg and installed to the /Applications folder.

>>2. Sharing the userdata is not really advised - what exactly are you wanting to share? Obviously the media files will not be a problem.
>>

I've been sharing the .xbmc folder forever w/o problems between two Linux boxes. As I said, only one box is active at a time. I'm wanting to share metadata - Movie posters, descriptions, cast lists, etc,etc. Two linux boxes share this info w/o problems, I'd just like to have the OS X box join the party Smile

Thanks!
I'd have to look into this and how XBMC for OSX picks the userdata location and if this can be changed.
The same trick will work in that case, though obviously in the Library/Application Support/ folder or whatever it is on OS X.

One thing to watch is guisettings.xml might cause problems, but give it a go, anyway.

Hopefully we can sort out the remote running thing - the problem as far as I'm aware is that either something else kills XBMCHelper or it doesn't install correctly for running on app start.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:Hopefully we can sort out the remote running thing - the problem as far as I'm aware is that either something else kills XBMCHelper or it doesn't install correctly for running on app start.

I'm using the SVN builds Tsf42m provides in this forum, but I'm having the same problem with launching XBMC from the remote. I've noticed that XBMCHelper will say something along the lines of "Cannot start (xbmc's pathname)/XBMC" when I launch it and hit the 'menu' key. Curious, I made a folder named "XBMC" and hitting the menu would make XBMCHelper open it up every time I hit menu key; it would seem as if XBMC is trying to launch the incorrect thing. Does it need to point to "XBMC.app" and not "XBMC"? Maybe it's just something on my end, or perhaps with the builds I'm using, but it may be something to look into.
humm, I thought we fixed the "starting XBMC with XBMCHelper" bug several weeks ago.
It might be fixed for when installed via the .app - it's not fixed whilst running from a folder with XBMC_HOME set.

There's nothing dumped into that magic folder that registers startup services.

If you want me to test something out this weekend, let me know and I'll have a hunt around.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC vs the Forks0