• 22(current)
Smoothvideo branch
kees1869 Wrote:I'm wondering though (with adjust refresh rate on) why my tv never goes into 1080p24 mode, like it does when I playback a blu-ray disc on my PS3. I think this would be desirable when playing back 1080p 24Hz material.

Does this work for anyone (granted your tv supports 1080p24)?

One more thought on this. Even if your TV supports this, Windows (if you are running Windows) must be configured to support this resolution. In XBMC/Settings/Appearance/Screen, can you see the resolution in the list there?
If not, "Adjust refresh rate" will not be able to switch to this resolution.

If you have an Nvidia graphics card, you can enter custom resolutions in the Nvidia settings. I do not know how ATI card work.
Asus motherboard
Intel i5 8500
6 GB RAM
Win 10 64bit
kees1869 Wrote:I'm wondering though (with adjust refresh rate on) why my tv never goes into 1080p24 mode, like it does when I playback a blu-ray disc on my PS3. I think this would be desirable when playing back 1080p 24Hz material.

Does this work for anyone (granted your tv supports 1080p24)?

If you run Linux and you have nvidia card, than you have to have both of these option in the screen section of xorg.conf:

Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"

First option enables to detect the available refresh rates properly by your nvidia card, the second enables changing from the default 60hz refresh rate to any other refresh rate.

You can check if everything works ok in the options/video settings try to change the resolution to 1080p/24hz after that in the MENU screen press "S" and there check INFO and you can see the actual refresh rate there. If everything is fine, you can see 24hz there.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hello!

Maybe this subject has been handled elsewhere, but since the last comments been on the subject i figured i'd ask.

XBMC - Smoothvideo branch: VPDAU finally supports "Adjust refresh rate", this is good. But what fps does this feature support? Playback for ALL kinds of media would suggest that the following fps is supported:

- 23.976Hz
- 24Hz
- 59.94Hz (2x29.97Hz)
- 60Hz

If not, XBMC has a huge issue if quality playback is of interest. Myself, i hate stuttering. Also, audio should be synched to each fps.
There's no shortcuts for "smoothvideo"! Smile
//M

EDIT: Well, i was definitely not the first to address it. Found a great post that clarifies, and suggests that the problem must be handled: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=323847&postcount=7
Thanks to anderskkan.
mlmc Wrote:But what fps does this feature support?

The ones that your display can use I would have thought.
alanwww1 Wrote:Have you tried the smoothvideo-branch windows builds ?

Try Pollisofts' latest build.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=330...tcount=285

Be sure to set "auto refresh rate" on in the video settings if your TV supports 24 50 and 60hz. This way you will have perfectly smooth playback.
I've tried that build now but when playing 24fps tvshow I get 50Hz..
so this does not support 48hz? my projector can not do 24hz.. Sad

in mediaportal I tell it to run this command when playing 24fps and 25fps content:
c:\\windows\\system32\\rundll32.exe NvCpl.dll,dtcfg setmode 1 1280 720 32 48
spuck Wrote:I've tried that build now but when playing 24fps tvshow I get 50Hz..
so this does not support 48hz? my projector can not do 24hz.. Sad

in mediaportal I tell it to run this command when playing 24fps and 25fps content:
c:\\windows\\system32\\rundll32.exe NvCpl.dll,dtcfg setmode 1 1280 720 32 48

Sorry but i don't know too much about the win version. On linux it is working very well.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Exclamation 
toiva Wrote:What do you think "adjust refresh rate" is there for, under video/player. :rolleyes2:
OK thank you for your replies, and I'm sorry I was unsure before exactly what this option meant, hehe. But now after testing it again I see that it does something. However it's still not working as it should on windows.

Here's what happens for me:
I have 1080/60p in Windows when I launch "XBMC.exe -fs" (see other settings below).
My Sony Bravida (24/50/60Hz capable) reports "1080p" (which refers to either 50 or 60Hz, guessing 60 in this case) in Windows and inside XBMC while browsing.
When I launch a movie (24 fps) it looks like XBMC changes the display mode a few times (the TV goes blank a few times and finally displays the "new" resolution), but after the final change the display mode is reported as 1080p on the TV, i.e. 50 or 60Hz.
However if I alt-tab out to Windows the display mode is changed to 1080/24p (the TV reports 1080/24p), just as it should (I can even see the movie playing in the background). When I alt-tab back to XBMC the TV reports 1080p again.
If I stop the movie and try the alt-tab procedure again it's back to 60Hz in Windows, the display mode isn't even change when alt-tabbing at this point.

So basically XBMC does change the display mode to the correct 1080/24p, but something is causing it to fall back to 1080/60p again.

Here are my settings:
=CommandLine=
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1
"XBMC.exe -fs"

=Video/Player=
Render Method: Basic Shaders (ARB)
Adjust Refresh Rate: Enabled
Use VBLANK as Clock: Enabled
High Quality Software Upscaling: Disabled

=Apperance/Screen=
Resolution: 1920x1080 @ 60.00Hz
Vertical BLANK Sync: Enabled During Video Playback

Here's a debug log (just opening "XBMC -fs", playing a 24 fps movie and then stop and quit):
http://pastebin.com/m24fd80a5
Well, apparently not.

As anderskkan mentions:
"In my quest for perfect playback with XBMC I found that the frame rate detection (read out) is not correct for many of my movies. This results in that the automatic refresh rate function will choose the wrong refresh rate."

It's very important that 'what comes in, must come out' any distortion will render in microstutters. No, true cinema freak, will accept this.
I guess it's only Mediaportal that handles this in a correct way atm, unless XBMC steps up and fixes this issue, and i'm sure they will! I'm really impressed by how fast the development has progressed in this 'area'.. big thanks to everyone! Smile
//M

Hitcher Wrote:The ones that your display can use I would have thought.
PolliSoft Wrote:One more thought on this. Even if your TV supports this, Windows (if you are running Windows) must be configured to support this resolution. In XBMC/Settings/Appearance/Screen, can you see the resolution in the list there?
If not, "Adjust refresh rate" will not be able to switch to this resolution.

If you have an Nvidia graphics card, you can enter custom resolutions in the Nvidia settings. I do not know how ATI card work.

It's not in the list and it's related to my dual display setup, when I start XBMC it opens on my TV (most of the time), but it takes the display parameters of my PC's display (and it's list of resolutions).

It does not matter what I set the SDL_FULLSCREEN_HEAD env var to.

I think the driver support in Catalyst for my ATI card (4870x2) is problematic, I can't set my secondary display as primary either (tried many driver versions as I've been having this problem since 8.10).

All the problems I'm having relate to this problem, so I'm open to suggestions. Huh
Should
"Adjust Refresh Rate: Enabled"
work for a Mac mini (new one/intel)?
Adjust refresh rate is not yet working on OS X.

but it works with bootcamp and xp on new mac mini Nod
got no dropped frames on 1080p content
jmarshall Wrote:Adjust refresh rate is not yet working on OS X.

Thanks, jmarshall!
Do I understand it correctly that with smoothvideo it should't be a problem, because smoothvideo will adapt the stream to the present refresh rate.
So "Adjust refresh rate" is a way to adapt the screens refresh rate to the video, smoothvideo a way to adapt the videostream to the screen?
Yes that's the idea, the vertical blank is used as the clock source and the video speed is changed slightly so it plays without jerks.
It doesn't work in all situations, you can't play 24 fps at 50 hertz without jerks unless you speed it up to 25 fps.
Because this thread contains replies about the former implementation (which may confuse people) the discussion will continue here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=336538
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smoothvideo branch0