Unofficial 5.1 Analog Audio thread for Windows (MasterAudio branch)
Has anyone been watching Trac lately? Phi2039 has begun working on a branch that has me extremely pumped. My understanding is that he's working on a DSP chain that should, in addition to fixing the various 5.1 audio problems we've been having, allow audio tweaks similar to Winamp, etc.

Check out 18198 and 18199 to see the beginning of something that could be very cool.
natethomas: Thanks for the feedback. I am glad you like what you see so far.

You should also look at the first (very high level) architecture document:
http://trac.xbmc.org/export/18266/branch...rAudio.pdf
As I flesh it out, I will update the drawings/information.

I would be happy to provide builds for anyone interested in being a guinea pig/tester. I have a long way to go, but I do think the end result will be a more robust, more flexible audio system that is easier to use and configure (God willing).

-C
Looking forward to it!
I'm willing to do the testing thing. I have a 5.1 system plugged in via optical. At the moment I have Dolby Digital Live turned off, but it'd be nice to be able to turn it on. My cheap receiver can't handle DTS, so an analog audio solution would be very useful to me.
I'm no developer, but I'm left wondering if fixing the channel mappings under Windows could be so complicated as to require a complete overhaul of the sound system
Remapping isn't the only purpose of this bit of coding, as I understand it. The purpose is to give dramatically more control over the audio to us mere mortals. Here's an example in the world of winamp:

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/221526
natethomas, I read the white paper and I at least grasp the basics of what's being implemented. It's great. But it'll take time.

In the meantime, I'm asking why nobody seems interested in fixing the channel mappings, given that they'll become more important with the Smoothvideo functionality coming.
Am I correct in assuming this will also enable navigational sounds when using 5.1?
My understanding, ashlar, and correct me if I am wrong on this, is that the primary hurdle of channel remapping at the moment is the lack of consistency among codecs. For an imaginary example, the stream mapped center for DTS is the stream mapped back-left for AC3.

As such, you can't simply change the mapping for AC3 so that it is correct, because that would screw up DTS even more, and it would screw up 5.1 PCM (which is the only codec mapped correctly, from my understanding).

Instead, XBMC will have to recognize the type of audio stream and then switch the mapping to accommodate that stream, or, alternately, remix those streams so they are output in the proper order.

The solution listed above should ultimately be able to accomplish this task. There may be (and probably are) other ways to accomplish the task, but I don't know how much faster or less labor intensive those methods might be.
Hi nate, I don't know, I'm not a developer. I'd be surprised if it were *that* complicated. AC3filter manages to do that and a lot more and it's a simple filter, not a whole DSP chain.
Hitcher Wrote:Am I correct in assuming this will also enable navigational sounds when using 5.1?
I don't understand your question. You mean navigational sounds when using analogue 5.1 output or when using digital out?
Sorry, digital out.
Hitcher Wrote:Sorry, digital out.
I'm getting it already... you mean "click" sounds when moving in menus? Or am I missing something?
Sorry again, I meant to say while playing video.
Hitcher Wrote:Sorry again, I meant to say while playing video.
Doh! Never thought that there could/should be navigation sounds while playing a video. I'd definitely eliminate them. Unless the video has been paused, that is.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unofficial 5.1 Analog Audio thread for Windows (MasterAudio branch)0