• 2(current)
[MAC] New (March 2009+) Mac Mini with NVIDIA 9400 graphics - Good enough for 1080p?
BliBlaBlo Wrote:Yes... would be great if there was hardware acceleration soon... Does anybody know how far it is away?
I would love to buy a new mac mini as HTPC... but hardware acceleration would make it so much cooler Smile

Not unless there is an Apple API that exposes it and as an Apple developer, I would know if there is one coming. So forget about OSX hardware acceleration for now.

If you want hw assisted decoding, get the new MacMini and run Linux/VDPAU on it.
davilla, do you recommend this?

i see reports of python problems on linux, but what i run, runs well in osx.

and by new, do new mac mini's have intel gfx?
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
Nuka1195 Wrote:davilla, do you recommend this?

Nope, nvidia all the way!
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Nuka1195 Wrote:davilla, do you recommend this?

Hehe, It should work fine but this is untested until someone actually gets one of the new MacMinis and installs Ubuntu/VDAPU on it.
davilla Wrote:Hehe, It should work fine but this is untested until someone actually gets one of the new MacMinis and installs Ubuntu/VDAPU on it.

What do you think of doing this via VMWare or Parallels? Could you still get to the appropriate hardware?
jonm42 Wrote:What do you think of doing this via VMWare or Parallels? Could you still get to the appropriate hardware?

my guess is that it wont work, since you would need direct access to the gpu to get the VDPAU going... not a fake video display driver..
EMHMark3 Wrote:Hm the *old* mac minis could handle 1080p h264

lol
My 1.83 GHZ Mini has played every 1080p file I've tried just fine
stuartmarsden Wrote:...and my graphics card is only slightly better (9500GT compared 9400M).

The 9500GT is roughly twice as powerful as the 9400M even though it sounds like it would be similarly spec-ed.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

davilla Wrote:Not unless there is an Apple API that exposes it and as an Apple developer, I would know if there is one coming. So forget about OSX hardware acceleration for now.

If you want hw assisted decoding, get the new MacMini and run Linux/VDPAU on it.

And do you think OpenCL will bring possibilities for GPU acceleration?
jonm42 Wrote:What do you think of doing this via VMWare or Parallels? Could you still get to the appropriate hardware?

What about using Bootcamp?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSupportTeam
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mac_mini
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_My...ing_Ubuntu
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Apple_Computer (german)

Should work fine and you should have access to VDAPU.

But I've some questions:
  • Can anyone confirm that the new MacMini hardware works with Ubuntu?
  • Is it fast enough for 1080p (mkv, high bitrates...)?
  • Is 2 GHz fast enough (or is the 10% CPU upgrade option worth 140 EUR)?
  • Is 1 GB RAM enough for Ubuntu/XBMC?
  • Is 128MB grafics memory (shared) enough (small version)?
  • Is it possible (and not too complicated) to replace the disk (2.5", 5400rpm) with SSD?
  • DVI->HDMI should work just fine?
  • Optical out for audio should work for multi-channel audio, right? What about HD-sound formats?
  • Does Apple remote work with Ubuntu/XBMC?
  • Is it possible (and not too complicated) to use another remote (like PS3 remote)?

I'd be very happy if someone with a new MacMini could post his experience here...
mcka Wrote:What about using Bootcamp?
  • Can anyone confirm that the new MacMini hardware works with Ubuntu?
  • Is 1 GB RAM enough for Ubuntu/XBMC?
  • Is it possible (and not too complicated) to replace the disk (2.5", 5400rpm) with SSD?
  • DVI->HDMI should work just fine?
  • Optical out for audio should work for multi-channel audio, right? What about HD-sound formats?
  • Is it possible (and not too complicated) to use another remote (like PS3 remote)?
aaronb Wrote:My 1.83 GHZ Mini has played every 1080p file I've tried just fine

Not with XBMC it hasnt... uless they're extreemly low bit rate files, or your running Linux with hardware acceleration.....
Anyone know if it is possible to do audio over the dvi (with an hdmi convertor) on the new mac mini? It's possible on other nvidia 9xxx series boards with an internal spdif connection.
Well that rules out HD audio formats so it's not interesting to me. Will wait for other ION boxes - for example Acer Hornet
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] New (March 2009+) Mac Mini with NVIDIA 9400 graphics - Good enough for 1080p?0