WTF! XBMC hijacked my computer! XP will not boot.
spiff Wrote:eeeeeh. http://www.websters-online-dictionary.or.../ignorance

how the eff does that equal to calling people idiots? i did no name dropping, i simply stated the fact that you SHOULD NOT BE DOING THINGS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. that applies to everyone, geniuses and idiots alike.

sure, things can be improved and i welcome any efforts. my response weren't even to the original incident, it was to

Well, with no quote to go off of, it would appear that you were replying to the initial incident, which just blew me away because it then looked like you were stating that the team's stance on the issue is...if you don't know how it works and broke something...tough beans.

To say the least...the flash creator is/was very vague. It screwed me up something fierce because I assumed that a USB installer would know to look and ensure that the device is actually a USB device...
i realize it could be misunderstood and sorry for not being perfectly clear. it sems i should stop using the word ignorance as it seems you english speakers take offense. but to me 'uneducated' sounds so much more harsh...
Pls let's stop this quarrel, it's going nowhere.
BTW, it's not an USB installer it's an INSTALLER since upon starting it says:

Code:
Requirement for USB flash disks: the disk must have at least 1500 MB of capacity!
Requirement for fixed disks: the disk must have at least 3500 MB of capacity!
spiff Wrote:i realize it could be misunderstood and sorry for not being perfectly clear. it sems i should stop using the word ignorance as it seems you english speakers take offense. but to me 'uneducated' sounds so much more harsh...

If used in the context of "uneducated", then yes, it's applicable. But to me, it's primary meaning is "a willful lack of desire to improve the efficiency, merit, effectiveness or usefulness of one's actions."

So, calling somebody dumb isn't so bad simply because you can't help being dumb...but ignorance is like being intentionally dumb, which is far worse.

Michael Jackson didn't really help either. Wink

I would go with "uninformed". I think that's probably the most universal conveyance of what you're trying to say that has a minimal harshness level.

Quote:BTW, it's not an USB installer it's an INSTALLER since upon starting it says...

Touche. However, it still might be a good idea to differentiate between the two.
wow, definitely unfortunate for the OP; sorry to hear.

but I gotta side with the xbmc devs; don't use the uninstaller unless you understand what it going on. I also agree it is always good practice to unplug extra hdds if doing something like formatting. (I used xbox hdd maker a lot in the past, and to avoid any accidents I always unplugged my main drives)

I have used the xbmc live install lots aswell, and although the prompts are as user friendly as they could be, they are certainly adequate for the task; even a user with a basic unserstanding of what is going on, shouldn't mess it up.
Can we please stop this bashing and constrate on fixing this issue ?

I haven't used this, but does it actually display the drive information ( Make, Model, Size ) of the drive or partition being installed too ? That should the giver user more information that is harddrive being installed too..
a 'fix' has already been commited to svn
CrashX Wrote:[...] I haven't used this, but does it actually display the drive information ( Make, Model, Size ) of the drive or partition being installed too ? That should the giver user more information that is harddrive being installed too..

My installer says:
Choose the disk to use
1: sda (4039 MB) - Removable

I think more information would definitely be useful... If it included the brand, model, partition information, I wouldn't have to think twice about what I'm doing.

Is this the 'fix' that's being implemented?
The installer was perfectly fine. Quite frankly I'm glad your ignorance was punished. And as for the drives being labeled 'wrong', what a stupid logic. They are not wrong, this is the linux standard, imo, being a Linux user, labeling a drive 'C' etc is 'wrong'.

A child could have used the the installer, with a little bit of reading. You were to lazy to do this and now you suffer. Don't attack the developers of XBMC or Linux in general for something you can ONLY blame yourself for.
Cujo Wrote:1 I have never seen linux before, ever.

2 The question was, something like:
Install program at: sd01 or sd02

3 How the Angry was I supposed to know that ment, that the installer had not found my USB flash drive...

AngryAngryAngryAngry

live and learn, next time back-up before you do something you don't understand
Cujo Wrote:Using the words "Hard disk" instead a cryptic abbreviation like "sd01", or whatever it said. The use of a common abbreviation like "hd" or "hdd" would most likely have tipped me off, as well.

Common.. In linux its not common. In linux the COMMON names were the ones you saw. Common is subjective.

sd - generally used for scsi disks or sata disks (USB drives are seen as SCSI devices)
hd - generally used for IDE drives

Did you not check the disk sizes when prompted about installation?
I find that USB drives with sizes of above 8gb suspicious.

Cujo Wrote:Or, how about: "No usb device detected!"
How was XBMC expected to know you wanted to use a USB disk?
It's perfectly valid to want to install to your main hard drive.

my advice to you is:
If unsure, DON'T!!

All you had to do was come on here (or any linux forum) and say: "I am trying to run xbmc live cd and its asking me which disk to install to /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb, which should I choose?"

Instead YOU make a guess then come on here, lash out and then expect sympathy.
However as my father often told me:
Q: Do you know where Sympathy lies in the dictionary?
A: Between Shit and Syphilis.

Now you have a couple of choices:
1) Continue to be angry and get little or no help.
2) Say Sorry for coming on here ranting and then ask nicely for help.
3) Accept that YOU have wiped windows from YOUR computer and there is no hope of recovery. Now you can move on. If you take this option you have another choice. A) Reinstall windows. B) Give linux a try after all you already have it installed.

Now this may or may not be of help.. but assuming that your installer said /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2. then I have to assume that your HDD was partitioned. Based on this any data on your D/E drive (/dev/sda2) should be fine.
is XBMC even labeled for "end-user friendlyness" yet? i've seen the BETA tags everywhere Tongue

And a tip for the maker of the thread. It's a good thing to read through the manual and Wiki before clicking through installers randomly. Especially with beta software Wink
Pvt_Ryan Wrote:Common.. In linux its not common. In linux the COMMON names were the ones you saw. Common is subjective.

Completely OT but even Vista installer uses almost the same convention now

the don´t differ between sd and hd but they do have hd 0 partition 1 which would be exactly the same as sda1 were a being 0 and 1 being partition.

/OT
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Topfs2 Wrote:Completely OT but even Vista installer uses almost the same convention now

the don´t differ between sd and hd but they do have hd 0 partition 1 which would be exactly the same as sda1 were a being 0 and 1 being partition.

/OT

Just to clarify further for those that maybe don't know:

as i stated earlier sd & hd means scsi and ide respectively.

next is a letter starting with a this indicates which disk,
so /dev/sda is our 1st disk (SATA / SCSI / USB).

next as topfs mentions there is a number this indicates the partition, this number begins at 0.

so /dev/sda2 is the 2nd partition of our 1st disk
/dev/sdb1 is the 1st partition of our 2nd disk.
Pvt_Ryan Wrote:so /dev/sda1 is the 2nd partition of our 1st disk
/dev/sdb0 is the 1st partition of our 2nd disk.
This is incorrect in my experience. Partitions have always started with 1 when I've seen them.

Pvt_Ryan Wrote:However as my father often told me:
Q: Do you know where Sympathy lies in the dictionary?
A: Between Shit and Syphilis.
This made me laugh.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WTF! XBMC hijacked my computer! XP will not boot.0