'make install' doesn't work for revision 18298 during compilation from the scratch...
Hi,

I'm trying to build SVN revision '18298'. Getting the following error when trying to execute 'make install':

------------
Copying XBMC binary to /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin
cp: cannot stat `xbmc.bin': No such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error 1
------------

The full build log file can be found here: http://pastebin.com/m527bdd70

I was getting this error some time in the past, but I guess it was some temporary glitch in the code. The compilation went without an exception or errors (did a clean checkout of the source into a brand new directory, so no previous binary artifacts were interfering).

Can anyone else build the source right now from the scratch or is it just me?

Thanks,

Vlad
The real error occured during the "make" step. Most likely do to your source tree not being clean enough for our finicky build system. Try to distclean and reconfigure then have another go.
Yeap - did all that: checkout clean copy into the brand new directory. No patches applied. Run 'configure' util, run 'make -j2'. My small automation script checks for the 'errors' in the build log file. So, no error found. But seems like I located the problem: the '-j2' flag. Here is a post about this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40021

Making the source without 'j2' flag - seems to be some more stuff compiling.

IMPORTANT: interestingly, the thread above was _NOT_ found when I searched for it through the forum's search form. If you google it though, you can find the post.

I've noticed this thing in the past: it seems like for some reason XBMC forum does not create a proper search index. So, now when I see people say 'they couldn't find it on the forum', I kind of have a second thought: looks like some posts really _ARE_ invisible for the XBMC forum search functionality. Might be worthwhile to have a look at...

Vlad
I had no problems with 18298. Deleted my old XBMC directory, checkout the latest (18298), ./configure, make -j2, sudo make install. No hickups, so it must be something specific to your setup.

What processor and distro are you running?
Hmm.. that's weird. I'm running the configuration below:

Linux eagle 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Mon Jan 26 00:13:11 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

That's an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4450e, on ASUS M3N78 VM motherboard.

From what I understood from that post, the 'make -j2' is a bit finicky - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In 95% of the cases I never had a problem before. Now I tried it two times in a row, and it stalls.

Doing a clean recompile now (rm -rf xbmc, svn checkout fresh copy, configure, make), will see if it would make a difference. Seems like it will - tried to run 'make' without '-j2' flag right after running 'make -j2' (ie, the old binaries were still hanging around) and at least I started to get the compile error (smth in the 'gloomy' module). + a bunch of new stuff was compiling.... Will post the results once the compilation process is done (compiling on a single core is coming along REAAALLLY slow).

Vlad
As a followup, the only difference from the process I had was the parameters for the 'configure': I'm running them with specfic prefix (--prefix=/usr) and disabling the pulse audio... Other than that, doing exactly what you are doing.

Vlad
The problem was most certainly the finicky parallel make. Theres a small effort going on behind the scenes that might fix it up.
Ok. Thanks for the update. Still no success compiling though - now (when compiling without -j2 flag) having the same problem as another couple of guys with the 'goom' module.... I wonder if I miss any dependency.....?
Hmmm.... works now - after a 2nd or third try. Really weird.
I usually make -j2 and if it fails to build the binary try make by itself. If there are portions that failed due to the parallel build it will often catch this and continue on which saves the time of doing it all over from scratch....
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Hmm.. Good to know. Thanks for all the tips.

Vlad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
'make install' doesn't work for revision 18298 during compilation from the scratch...0