Hi-Res Poster Sizing Question
Hi,

Like i'm sure many of you are, I am in the process of replacing all of my posters with high-resolution ones per Stark's release. My question is, would it be beneficial to resize them down to 1080x7-- rather than leave them at 1500x1000?

Other than the obvious benefit of lower file size, would there be any negative effect in XBMC?

Thanks!
Well that really depends on what TV/Monitor resolution you plan on viewing these on doesn't it?

If you are viewing images at that resolution on a wide screen TV then the images will be warped so it would be better to resize & crop the images in that instance.

However if you are just asking if Stark will resize your current images to fit no matter what your TV/Monitor resolution then I would assume it would since the default XBMC & the current Aeon skin both already do that.

Just don't forget HD resolutions are 1280 x 720 & 1920 x 1080 pixels, so for 1080p backdrops you would actually need to scale up your images and they will become pixelated.
Choix Wrote:If you are viewing images at that resolution on a wide screen TV then the images will be warped so it would be better to resize & crop the images in that instance.

why would the images become warped ?? 1500x1000 is basically the same aspect ratio as djh said stark will use .. its close enough to not get distorted prolly .. i can't say for sure as i'm not beta testing it .. but for now i'm leaving my posters in the bigger size and hoping for the best
But surely if you downsize them you are defeating the object aren't you as you will lose Quality otherwise why have them in 1500x1000 in the first place or have i missed something?
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
paul Wrote:But surely if you downsize them you are defeating the object aren't you as you will lose Quality otherwise why have them in 1500x1000 in the first place or have i missed something?

I think Choix might have misunderstood my question. Almost all hi-res artwork from GetVideoArtwork.com is sized to 1000x1500. I too believe this is the aspect ratio that djh said the posters should be at.

However, my question is - since I will be using the posters on my 1080p T.V., would it be beneficial to resize them down to 720x1080? My reasoning would be that since I will be viewing them with a max resolution of 1080, I wouldn't necessarily need them at a height of 1500.

So...my REAL question is - other than the decrease in file size, would I get any increase in performance when using XBMC?

Hopefully djh or someone in the know can chime in on the correct sizing for the posters soon. Smile
The confusion above stems from the order you put the image dimensions. When discussing dimensions - it is usually proper to give width then height. So 1000X1500 would mean 1000 pixels wide by 1500 pixels high. So, in the first post, it would seem that you are talking about more fanart type images rather than posters as the dimensions you give are wider than they are taller.

Anyhow, I digress, if djh said the resolution is 1:1.5 then the only benefit to resizing them is memory and speed. The larger image takes up more memory space (both physical and temporary). So, a smaller file (resized to 1080p hieght and saved at the same lossy compression level) should result in a smaller file. If you have a weak system, this might result in a noticable increase in performance of walking through your media browser in Plex/XBMC.

BUT --

Resizing these images and resaving them is like any other compression routine to a lossy format ... you WILL lose quality (whether it is apparent to the naked eye or not). The compression of a lossy to a lossy is another level of degredation of the source - tantamount to transcoding a 192kbs MP3 to a 128kbs MP3. The good news is that some of that quality loss will be thwarted by the shrinking of the image and thus hide some of the compression artifacts (which should be negligable, but there).

Personally, I would leave the image as is unless you find that you are actually experiencing slow down while browsing your library. None of the images should be over 1MB and most are under 750kb. I think that almost any system should be able to run with that. I just don't see this being that much of a resource hog.
sirreef Wrote:Personally, I would leave the image as is unless you find that you are actually experiencing slow down while browsing your library. None of the images should be over 1MB and most are under 750kb. I think that almost any system should be able to run with that. I just don't see this being that much of a resource hog.

With Stark- coverflow will slow down if your thumbnail images are this large (depending on machine). As far as the large preview for movie information, I'd think you could resize them according to your screen resolution (720/1080), but doubt there would be much of a performance gain /loss here.
This has probably been covered already, but remember that the thumbnail cache has no bearing on the high-def thumbnails shown in the info pages. You can run with a thumbnail cache size of as low as 400 without any real loss in quality elsewhere. I prefer 500, though, because I'm like that and there's no performance hit.

Anything higher would be framerate suicide.
Make sure you are not replacing your current thumbnails, just add the high res image in to your movie folder. -big.png
ﻪﻥﻋﺸﻷﻜﻈﭚ
-->onesojourner, Is Aeon going to feature multiple poster style thumbnails? Smile

like this or?
movie.avi
movie.tbn
fanart.jpg
movie-big.png
Fiinix Design presents: Posters, for Movies, TV Shows, Games, Arcade etc.

» Latest Poster-Pack: The Silhouettes, TV Shows
» Upcoming Poster-Pack: To Be Announced

» Game & Emulator Poster, request here
» Movie/TV Genre Poster, here
currently it is like this:

movie.avi
movie.tbn
movie-fanart.jpg
movie.avi-big.png (this must have a png extention)
smcnally75 Wrote:movie.avi-big.png (this must have a png extention)

But, can be a jpg... i've just renamed jpg's to png's and it works fine. So, I imagine it would work with other formats as well, just make sure it has a png extension
smcnally75 Wrote:currently it is like this:

movie.avi-big.png (this must have a png extention)

does it have to be movie.avi-big.png or movie-big.png can also work?
pretty sure it needs to tail the exact name with -big.png
Villain Wrote:does it have to be movie.avi-big.png or movie-big.png can also work?

It has to have the format extension as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hi-Res Poster Sizing Question0