[AppleTV] Launcher 3.0 Testing (ATV)
Launcher moves to a new major version (3.0 aka Unified Launcher), but needs some testing.

What's new?
- no more Multifinder/pure-Launcher differences
new Launcher handles both MultiFinder and the pure approach. MultiFinder can be enabled/disabled directly in Launcher if XBMCExpertMode is activated (defaults write com.teamxbmc.xbmclauncher XBMCExpertMode 1)

-default is the version without MultiFinder (MultiFinder gets disabled on update)

-fixed universal-mode (thread with infos about that)
-MultiFinder.app is removed from /Applications and instead started from Launcher's bundle

Known issues?
Differences of the 2 ways to launch are still the same.

Howto test?
you need to modify the url of the repository Launcher gets its updates from. It's stored in
Code:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns/XBMCLauncher.frappliance/Contents/Info.plist
as:
Code:
<string>http://atv-xbmc-launcher.googlecode.com/svn/tags/mf-info/update_urls.plist</string>
or
<string>http://atv-xbmc-launcher.googlecode.com/svn/tags/xbmc-info/update_urls.plist</string>
depending on the Launcher version you're running and needs to be modified to:
Code:
<string>http://atv-xbmc-launcher.googlecode.com/svn/tags/ul-info/update_urls.plist</string>

ofc manual installation is possible, just grab the urls from the new update_urls.plist.

Please post bugs here or to the issues list on googlecode

Thanks,
MDD

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
The title is confusing since there are other plug-ins call "Launcher" You might want to append "Apple" to the name to reduce confusion.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Livin Wrote:The title is confusing since there are other plug-ins call "Launcher" You might want to append "Apple" to the name to reduce confusion.

Name them please so we can evaluate your request.

Since Launcher has nothing to do with launching Apple items, appending "Apple" to the name seems like it would be even more confusing.
Does your launcher work with an OS other than Apple?

here's the Launcher that started a long time ago (even before this the linked started) for XBOX, WIN, Linux...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35739
Livin Wrote:Does your launcher work with an OS other than Apple?

here's the Launcher that started a long time ago (even before this the linked started) for XBOX, WIN, Linux...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35739

Launcher is an AppleTV frontrow plugin. It's used to "launch" xbmc or boxee apps for running them under the AppleTV. It's name only appears in the AppleTV frontrow menu listing. It only runs under the AppleTV frontrow interface and has nothing to do with any other OS besides the AppleTV.
Since your's is specific to ATV, I'd put on ATV on the front... up to you. The only reason I bring it up is I did a search for the other Launcher and found yours thinking it was the same.
Livin Wrote:Since your's is specific to ATV, I'd put on ATV on the front... up to you. The only reason I bring it up is I did a search for the other Launcher and found yours thinking it was the same.

I think we will pass, "ATV Launcher" in the frontrow menu is confusing. We are not launching ATV and since this is only the AppleTV, ATV is redundant.

This is nothing new, Launcher has been around for over six months. It was previously named XBMCLauncher and showed XBMC/Boxee in the right side frontrow menu. This also was confusing to xbmc/boxee users. So we just call it Launcher now.

Yes, searches via the forums can be confusing at times Smile I tend to focus the searching to a specific forum less I get info that only applies to the other platforms.
I have updated one of our AppleTV units to Launcher 3.0 and so far no issues have resulted. I had been using Launcher 0.9 previously. I am using it in the default mode.

ATV OS 2.3.1
XBMC Current release (bf1)

Thanks for the update!
gilbreen Wrote:I have updated one of our AppleTV units to Launcher 3.0 and so far no issues have resulted. I had been using Launcher 0.9 previously. I am using it in the default mode.

ATV OS 2.3.1

Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the report!

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
I'll give it a go this weekend.
I have installed it on a second ATV and continue to use it without any issues. Also using it in default mode.

Launcher 3 Beta 3
ATV OS 2.3.1

Thanks!
Thumbs Up 
Everything looks good so far. I will set my ATV to boot XBMC by default and see how that works out.

Launcher 3 Beta 3
ATV OS 2.3.1
How do you get ATV to boot straight into XBMC?
GrimSage Wrote:How do you get ATV to boot straight into XBMC?
Simple - use the search facility or read through the recent posts... and find this...
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=271761&postcount=1
(hijacking threads such as this helps no-one).

Back on topic...

Have just installed Launcher 3 Beta 3

ATV OS 2.3
XBMC 8.10 (bf1)

No issues so far. (and using HDMI - will check beta 4 and report back)
Launcher was updated to beta4. You should see in in Launcher->Downloads.
Changes:
-few ui fixes
-possibility to have more than one update source (will ease use of xbmc svn revisions)
-Updated boxee's Downloads entry

We're still not sure if we fixed the HDMI disconnect issues, so if someone with HDMI is using it, it would be great to hear reports about that / see logs when it failed. Problem is that e.g. after switching to a different source on your AV-Receiver and later back to XBMC on the ATV, the display is blank.

cheers,
MDD

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Launcher 3.0 Testing (ATV)0