[LINUX] Anyone tried XBMC for Linux on the new Mac Mini with NVIDIA 9400 graphics?
I've been running XBMC with VDPAU on a 2009 mac mini (using gentoo) for about a week. Had to do a workaround for the audio by adding the snd-hda-intel option model=imac24.

Rebooting still does not work as of kernel 2.6.29-r2. Not sure what the problem is at the moment. I've heard some people had success with adding reboot=acpi to the command line, but I haven't tried it.

Outside of that everything works.
I have finally received my MacMini 3.1 (2 Ghz) last week and Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit is running smoothly.
-Reboot does not work at the moment. But I am sure this can be done.
-Audio worked out off the box for me.
-Installed "lirc" and the Apple remote worked! --> adjustments to Lircmap.xml --> not satisfied yet but it works.

Now I just learned that I should have used the 32 bit version of Ubuntu as XBMC would be far more "stable" there. I will upgrade (or downgrade) in a couple of day.

720p content seems to play fine bot only with the latest beta Nvidia drivers. I have 1 Gig of RAM (shared graphic memory: only about 170 MB) which is NOT enough for smooth viewing of all HD content. Definitely NOT for 1080i content (I tried Killersample and Artbeats --> do NOT work). I will put in 4 GB of RAM next week and will then report back. Then I will tell you more on dropped frames etc. as of now with 64 bit Ubbuntu the "o" button crashes XBMC :-(

It's great to hear that there are more MACMinis with Ubuntu and XBMC out there. I would appreciate the INFO exchange!

My specs:
- XBMC 9.04 r19954 installed via PPA "http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu"
- Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty 64 bit
- Mac Mini 3.1 (2009 Model)
- 1 GB RAM (will upgrade to 4 GB next week), GeForce 9400 (Linux says 512 MB RAM)
- NVidia Beta 185.18.08 Driver

Martin
Smart79 : How did you install ubuntu on your new MacMini? I have the exact same model as you.

/Rasmus
rasmusth Wrote:Smart79 : How did you install ubuntu on your new MacMini? I have the exact same model as you.

/Rasmus

Big Grin
I now installed the 32 bit Version of Ubuntu 9.04 (had 64 bit but there where problenms with XBMC). I also upgraded to 4 GB RAM as with the 1 GB the HD files did not play smoothly with VDPAU. But I think 2 GB would have been enough. Ist also important to update to the newest nvidia beta driver.

For installing Ubuntu I used this guide: http://blog.costan.us/2009/03/ubuntu-810...-mini.html

With the 64 bit Version I did not have a the sound problem. So I followed this advice: to get the sound working, add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base -->
Code:
options snd-hda-intel model=imac24

By the way: I did not use REFIT (Bootmanager) as it did not work for me. Just went for Boot Camp which is installed on MacOS. I'm still searching for a way to autoboot into ubuntu. At the moment I have to keep the "ALT-key" pressed when booting.

If you have specific questions please feel free to ask.

My new specs:
- XBMC 9.04 r19954 installed via PPA "http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu"
- Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty 32 bit
- 4 GB RAM
- GeForce 9400 (Linux says 512 MB RAM)
Smart79 Wrote:Big Grin
I now installed the 32 bit Version of Ubuntu 9.04 (had 64 bit but there where problenms with XBMC). I also upgraded to 4 GB RAM as with the 1 GB the HD files did not play smoothly with VDPAU. But I think 2 GB would have been enough. Ist also important to update to the newest nvidia beta driver.

For installing Ubuntu I used this guide: http://blog.costan.us/2009/03/ubuntu-810...-mini.html

With the 64 bit Version I did not have a the sound problem. So I followed this advice: to get the sound working, add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base -->
Code:
options snd-hda-intel model=imac24

By the way: I did not use REFIT (Bootmanager) as it did not work for me. Just went for Boot Camp which is installed on MacOS. I'm still searching for a way to autoboot into ubuntu. At the moment I have to keep the "ALT-key" pressed when booting.

If you have specific questions please feel free to ask.

My new specs:
- Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty 32 bit
- 4 GB RAM
- GeForce 9400 (Linux says 512 MB RAM)

And how is the performance for 1080p content? This is the big question :-) Did you try killa sample?

Thanks
I tried the artbeats_m1080p20080210.mov and the killa.sampla.x264.mkv sample. Both work like a charm. so yes: 1080p content WORKS just fine!
Big Grin
Smart79 Wrote:I tried the artbeats_m1080p20080210.mov and the killa.sampla.x264.mkv sample. Both work like a charm. so yes: 1080p content WORKS just fine!
Big Grin

I'll buy an external HD for that :-) I feel so sad to remove the MacOS from my root partition.. Big Grin

You're using 4gb right? I guess I'll have to upgrade memory as well.

Great news!
cusquinho Wrote:You're using 4gb right? I guess I'll have to upgrade memory as well.

I'm using 4 GB RAM. Yes. I would recomend at least 2 GB. With 1 you eill hot have enough shared Video Memory for VPAUD.

And by the way: I left MacOS on the harddrive as well. I just resized the partition (boot camp) and now Ubuntu has almost all of the space ;-)

Greetings...Martin
I have also quickly tested xbmc 9.04 final on a 2009 model macmini. My mini has 2gb of memory and is running the 64bit version of ubuntu 9.04. nvidia control panel in ubuntu shows that gfx card memory is 512mb, but when checking the total physical memory, it's a little above 1,7gb, which would refer that there would actually be 256mb of memory reserved to the nvidia gpu. I tried VDPAU playback with some clips. A 720p mkv file plays nicely with vpdau. I also tried a music video encoded in 1080p and it played smoothly too (around 10% total cpu load). But when I tested the killa sample, cpu load was still low, but a lot of frames were dropped. killa sample was on local disk, so usb/network could not have caused the dropped frames.

I am using the default nvidia drivers (180.44 I think) that come with the restricted drivers tool in ubuntu, ie not the latest betas.

Smart79, could you check how much memory is visible in ubuntu, are you seeing 3,5gb? If so, then I think it's quite safe to say that the nvidia gpu really gets the 512mb..
It wouldn't hurt to try 185.18.08, if i remember correctly, this can steal system memory to use for VDPAU decoding when video memory isnt enough.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthre...?p=1997862
Thanks for the tip motd2k Smile

I decided to step away from the 64bit ubuntu for now and installed the 32bit version. After installing ubuntu, I downloaded and installed the nvidia beta driver as suggested by motd2k. Finally I installed xbmc. I tested with killa sample, and it plays smoothly now Smile only during the 1st second there was around 10 frame drops, but that was probably because the clip was played from usb stick. No frame drops after that, and cpu load was very low.

Also, the o (to get codec info) button seems to be working in 32bit version. In 64bit version, if I pressed o, xbmc crashed.

So it seems that VDPAU works quite nicely for me even with 256mb of gpu memory, at least with the killa sample clip. Or maybe it is just what motd2k suggested, that the new nvidia driver can "steal" more memory for gpu if needed.
@Jake77:
This is what top shows:
Code:
Mem:   2807404k total,   825180k used,  1982224k free

Looks like the 32bit verison can only take 3GB RAM. But that was what I expected. But as the 64 bit verison had so many problems with XBMC I'm glad to be have returned to the 32bit for now.
Looks like the 2 GB of RAM should be enough for you. And yes: you should use the latest BETA NVidia drivers as motd2k already posted.....

"Killa" Sample sucks by the way......
What about just clearing out the Macmini and installing XBMC Live? Would that work?
sion28 Wrote:What about just clearing out the Macmini and installing XBMC Live? Would that work?

I don't see why not. You might have to adjust some settings for the sound to work and you might have to upgrade your NVidia drivers... but otherwise..... I don't see a problem.
Smart79
Can you post a step by step guide for your mac mini setup. I would like to try the VDPAU and am a little over whelmed with command line mods but can follow instructions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Anyone tried XBMC for Linux on the new Mac Mini with NVIDIA 9400 graphics?0