[LINUX] Anyone tried XBMC for Linux on the new Mac Mini with NVIDIA 9400 graphics?
Got lirc running finally but now I see that same repeat issue. Anyone ever solve this for the mini?
BDPNA Wrote:Got lirc running finally but now I see that same repeat issue. Anyone ever solve this for the mini?

I dont have this challenge (yet)..but I will so here goes and I am shooting in the dark.

Is it possible when you press a button to do a command to join it with a time delay? I know that on some remotes you can put a time delay when multiple pieces of equipment are being engaged (giving an order to the machines and time to do their thing before the next machine is engaged). I ask this because if there is a repeat issue, perhaps a delay added to the command would help.

I am aware it may simply delay the repeat but then again it may be a dirty fix for the problem

Button = command + X seconds delay or let command + delay = command (substitution). I gather there is no Null/end of sorts that kills repeats.

- Phrehdd
I was kind of hoping by now there would be a sticky of sorts for installing Linux on a Mac Mini; complete with instructions for ir, bluetooth, sleep, setting up both Apple and Logitech remotes etc. Also something with respect of ease of only Linux on Mini vs dual booting.

Another area sub topic would include handling 24p, options on connections (dvi to HDMI, optical out and hybrid via 3rd party adaptor that merges both into an HDMI cable to receiver or TV.

Admittedly, I am trying to collect from all over the place the bits and pieces to install (dual boot) Linux on my 2.53 Mini and get everything to work properly. The info in the forums is great but its a little bit frustrating to run around.

Of course, there is a nice script for Asrock Ion Install. I think the Mini is worthy of similar consideration. Remember, several "Mac" folks are here and looking at XBMC on Linux as a best solution as opposed to XBMC and the variant on OSX.

- Phrehdd
phrehdd Wrote:I was kind of hoping by now there would be a sticky of sorts for installing Linux on a Mac Mini; complete with instructions for ir, bluetooth, sleep, setting up both Apple and Logitech remotes etc. Also something with respect of ease of only Linux on Mini vs dual booting.

Another area sub topic would include handling 24p, options on connections (dvi to HDMI, optical out and hybrid via 3rd party adaptor that merges both into an HDMI cable to receiver or TV.

Admittedly, I am trying to collect from all over the place the bits and pieces to install (dual boot) Linux on my 2.53 Mini and get everything to work properly. The info in the forums is great but its a little bit frustrating to run around.

Of course, there is a nice script for Asrock Ion Install. I think the Mini is worthy of similar consideration. Remember, several "Mac" folks are here and looking at XBMC on Linux as a best solution as opposed to XBMC and the variant on OSX.

- Phrehdd

Hi Phrehdd

Have you got any further with this as I am very interested as to whether this is a solution to my HD woes.

For me the questions are:

1) Will a Harmony remote work?
2) Does the auto refresh rate switching work?
3) Can it output a 1920*1080 24Hz signal?
4) Does the digital audio output work and support 5.1?

so far the answers I can find are:

1) Yes, but with key repeat issues
2) It works in Linux but can't find an answer on this specific to the Mac Mini
3) I read somewhere it is limited to 720p (but cant find the post now!) and there is no mention of the refresh rates supported
4) Audio works, but 5.1 is unconfirmed

Can anyone who has installed ubuntu on a 3,1 mac mini answer any of these questions?

Thanks!
I picked up my mini this weekend, I have the 2.26ghz model.

1. I am using a harmony 880 with it. I have the Harmony set up using a Plex remote. Everything works but the Harmony was a bit flakey during programming and some buttons that are supposed to be unique were not.

2. No idea. My plasma is hooked up via HDMI and seems to never want to leave 1080i. I am using the default xorg.conf and I have not played around with this at all. I was using a DVI connection before from my older HTPC and I would have screen tearing even with vsync enabled. I don't have any tearing now so I'm content with the current resolution. My plasma is an older 1024x768p model.

3. See 2.

4. Yes, I am using the optical digital out from the mini, I have not tried HDMI audio. My receiver does not support it.

The mini is smokin fast and plays everything I have thrown at it. The IR reception is a lot better than it was with the streamzap dongle I used on my old machine. I had a revo before that I sold because it was too slow. The mini for me is flawless.

ijhammo Wrote:Hi Phrehdd

Have you got any further with this as I am very interested as to whether this is a solution to my HD woes.

For me the questions are:

1) Will a Harmony remote work?
2) Does the auto refresh rate switching work?
3) Can it output a 1920*1080 24Hz signal?
4) Does the digital audio output work and support 5.1?

so far the answers I can find are:

1) Yes, but with key repeat issues
2) It works in Linux but can't find an answer on this specific to the Mac Mini
3) I read somewhere it is limited to 720p (but cant find the post now!) and there is no mention of the refresh rates supported
4) Audio works, but 5.1 is unconfirmed

Can anyone who has installed ubuntu on a 3,1 mac mini answer any of these questions?

Thanks!
http://www.kanexlive.com/products/item.aspx?id=3323

I was told by an Apple store employee that these cables will do audio over HDMI from the mini.

- although now that I look at it, it only does analog.

phrehdd Wrote:I thought I would take an opportunity to just post some thoughts here after reading all the contributions to this particular thread.

It appears that the Mac Mini running OSX can handle 1080p but with some limitations. For most they may not be much but for some (like me) I want to never worry about stutter/jutter/jitter/pauses/audio issues et al. Both XBMC and Plex have come a long way and kudos to the teams involved in their efforts.

The biggest flaw with the Mac Mini is the lack of HDMI. This is less about video but more about audio. As time marches on, we'll probably see higher end audio available and the Mini wont be able to handle it (under present standards).

If* you can live with traditional audio over HDef Audio formats, then the Mac Mini with Linux version of XBMC seems to be extremely promising. In fact, since everything is somewhat "built in" to the Mini, it could be an ideal box (sans HD Audio). It would be nice if a complete package was made for the Mini that covered the remote and a few other items right from the start.

Plex has opted to include some "settings" that relate to the video to get around some of the issues with high bit rate. It is a good idea for OSX users to investigate. For me, sad to say, it is flawed. One size (setting) doesn't fit all.

Ideally, as there is a db associated with the app, another tool should be offered to analyze movie files for bit rate peaks, frequency of peaks and so forth and allow the end user to select a setting PER a movie. The db would house the value which could be associated with the file upon lookup. Things of this sort are far more important to folks like me than some bells and whistles which can be added most any time. I gather with the Linux XBMC offering that exploits the GPU there would be no need to measure bitrates for movie files but with OSX, its a damn good idea to help get the very best play one can get out of a movie before altering settings to run smooth (at a price of fidelity).

As others are discovering, Ion Boxes are popping up everywhere with some excellent results. While perhaps not as full featured as the Mini, one could make it come very close at a lower cost and just as sleek. (Items such as firewire 800 come to mind for adding hd files that are large in size etc...convenience factor as it were etc.)

The ideal for me would be
CPU/GPU plays all normal hd media files well
ability to handle hd audio formats
Friendly GUI to handle changes in XML files etc.
IO that includes USB 2 and Firewire 800/400 and if lucky eSATA.
Wireless N
HDMI out that could handle potentially HD audio formats in the future.
and
downloadable baseline templates/settings for various Univ Remotes including Apple's
Setting controls PER a movie via user setting and additional tools for colour, constrast, bitrate etc. People in turn can put their settings up in a forum thread as baselines for others. This might include settings by movies and by type of screen.

All the other items like Hulu and such are great..but I think ease of set up and ability to truly optimize a system for each users "library" is first and foremost. It is great when people say it was easy to set up and - it just work - I have no real problems.

- Phrehdd
xmltok Wrote:I picked up my mini this weekend, I have the 2.26ghz model.

1. I am using a harmony 880 with it. I have the Harmony set up using a Plex remote. Everything works but the Harmony was a bit flakey during programming and some buttons that are supposed to be unique were not.

2. No idea. My plasma is hooked up via HDMI and seems to never want to leave 1080i. I am using the default xorg.conf and I have not played around with this at all. I was using a DVI connection before from my older HTPC and I would have screen tearing even with vsync enabled. I don't have any tearing now so I'm content with the current resolution. My plasma is an older 1024x768p model.

3. See 2.

4. Yes, I am using the optical digital out from the mini, I have not tried HDMI audio. My receiver does not support it.

The mini is smokin fast and plays everything I have thrown at it. The IR reception is a lot better than it was with the streamzap dongle I used on my old machine. I had a revo before that I sold because it was too slow. The mini for me is flawless.

Just to confirm - are you running XBMClive or full blown Linux with XBMC for Linux or XBMC for OSX? I have my harmony set up as a Plex remote and it does nothing with the XBMCLive install
ijhammo Wrote:Just to confirm - are you running XBMClive or full blown Linux with XBMC for Linux or XBMC for OSX? I have my harmony set up as a Plex remote and it does nothing with the XBMCLive install

Ubuntu Karmic Koala 64bit server. I didn't try XBMClive. I use refit to boot the partition and I still have the original OSX installation on a 20GB slice.
What settings did you select in 'Input Devices' on XBMC?

I am a total Linux noobie so the thought of having to install it gets me in a cold sweat Oo but the Linux version seems to have all the goodies Cool
xmltok Wrote:http://www.kanexlive.com/products/item.aspx?id=3323

I was told by an Apple store employee that these cables will do audio over HDMI from the mini.

- although now that I look at it, it only does analog.

That's right, but this one does have digital audio :-)

I ordered one in December and it should arrive shortly.
ijhammo Wrote:What settings did you select in 'Input Devices' on XBMC?

I am a total Linux noobie so the thought of having to install it gets me in a cold sweat Oo but the Linux version seems to have all the goodies Cool

I used irrecord and set up the lircd.conf manually. You will probably have to do the same. Here is my lircd.conf to start with. I found that some buttons appeared to be the same button to lirc, although logitech claimed they were unique. LARGE_UP is one of those.

Code:
begin remote

name  plex
  bits           16
  eps            30
  aeps          100

one             0     0
  zero            0     0
  pre_data_bits   16
  pre_data       0x87EE
  gap          104041
  min_repeat      208
  toggle_bit_mask 0x80E

begin codes
          UP                       0x960B
          DOWN                     0x960D
          LEFT                     0x9608
          RIGHT                    0x9607
          OK                       0x9604
          MENU                     0x9602
          PAUSE                    0x9803
          STOP                     0x9705
          VOLUME_UP                0x980A
          VOLUME_DOWN              0x980C
          F13                      0x9D09
          SKIP                     0xA00D
          REPLAY                   0xA00B
          LARGE_UP                 0x9D06 # F14
          LARGE_DOWN               0x9F0D
          BACK                     0x990D
          EXIT                     0x9B0A
          INFO                     0x990B
          GUIDE                    0x9D05
          1                        0x970A
          2                        0x970C
          3                        0x9709
          4                        0x9706
          5                        0x9809
          6                        0x9806
          7                        0x9908
          8                        0x9907
          9                        0x9A08
          0                        0x9A07
          ENTER                    0x9902
      end codes

end remote
xmltok Wrote:I used irrecord and set up the lircd.conf manually. You will probably have to do the same. Here is my lircd.conf to start with. I found that some buttons appeared to be the same button to lirc, although logitech claimed they were unique. LARGE_UP is one of those.

Code:
begin remote

name  plex
  bits           16
  eps            30
  aeps          100

one             0     0
  zero            0     0
  pre_data_bits   16
  pre_data       0x87EE
  gap          104041
  min_repeat      208
  toggle_bit_mask 0x80E

begin codes
          UP                       0x960B
          DOWN                     0x960D
          LEFT                     0x9608
          RIGHT                    0x9607
          OK                       0x9604
          MENU                     0x9602
          PAUSE                    0x9803
          STOP                     0x9705
          VOLUME_UP                0x980A
          VOLUME_DOWN              0x980C
          F13                      0x9D09
          SKIP                     0xA00D
          REPLAY                   0xA00B
          LARGE_UP                 0x9D06 # F14
          LARGE_DOWN               0x9F0D
          BACK                     0x990D
          EXIT                     0x9B0A
          INFO                     0x990B
          GUIDE                    0x9D05
          1                        0x970A
          2                        0x970C
          3                        0x9709
          4                        0x9706
          5                        0x9809
          6                        0x9806
          7                        0x9908
          8                        0x9907
          9                        0x9A08
          0                        0x9A07
          ENTER                    0x9902
      end codes

end remote

Were you able to get the Mini to resume from standby using the remote?
ijhammo Wrote:Were you able to get the Mini to resume from standby using the remote?

I haven't tried
ijhammo Wrote:Just to confirm - are you running XBMClive or full blown Linux with XBMC for Linux or XBMC for OSX? I have my harmony set up as a Plex remote and it does nothing with the XBMCLive install

I used XBMC Live Camelot and attached a MCE USB dongle. Set up my Harmony One to control Windows Media Center and it works to control XBMCLive without any additional modification.
dazex Wrote:I used XBMC Live Camelot and attached a MCE USB dongle. Set up my Harmony One to control Windows Media Center and it works to control XBMCLive without any additional modification.

Aha! That sounds like a good route to go for the Linux challenged like myself Big Grin

Also, have you played with the auto screen refresh rate switching at all? I followed the instructions here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=64412 but it would not play ball Huh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Anyone tried XBMC for Linux on the new Mac Mini with NVIDIA 9400 graphics?0