Getvideoartwork: TV Artwork Sizing & Stark
djh,

If you can let me (and the community) know what dimensions you are thinking about for TV artwork, I will set our site up to use it.

Right now we do square artwork, but if you wish to mirror the 1:1.48, I'll set our site up to start accepting it. Although I am going to stick with the 1:1.5 size for movies as this is utilized on thousands of movies already (perhaps you could make an option to allow a range on poster artwork?)

Just let me know.

Reef.
How visible is the 0.02 on, say, a 52" screen?
I'd say fairly unnticeable....Unless you have some need to be completely perfect i'd say 1:1.5 is fine, although 1:1.48 should be best for stark (729x1080 is optimum resolution).
I've been throwing all sorts of ratios in there since the beginning and haven't once noticed any distortion. In fact, I'm quite bemused by all this umming and aahing over precise dimensions; I built the thing and I just resize to 1080 vertical and chuck 'em in.
djh_ Wrote:I've been throwing all sorts of ratios in there since the beginning and haven't once noticed any distortion. In fact, I'm quite bemused by all this umming and aahing over precise dimensions; I built the thing and I just resize to 1080 vertical and chuck 'em in.

It's an anal thing. Heh. Some of us have nothing better to do than bemoan something that falls just shy of ultimate perfection (perfection defined by each user's goals, and thus not likely to ever be met by everyone).

In my case, I did the poster artwork for my entire collection. Some, mercifully, were simple resizes. Most required work, either in terms of cleaning it up, extending image past borders (really common on DVD titles that have the bars on the top or bottom) or title creation/placement. The fact that I put work into it is the only reason I actually wish it was in 1:1.5 ratio ... so I can see my work in it's proper dimensions.

But I digress, I never really noticed any severe distortion either, between 1:1.5 and 1:1.48, which is why I won't bother redoing all the artwork.

The question I'm asking though, which seems to have been missed is:

What dimensions are you planning for the upcoming TV section?

You've mentioned it's a work in progress, and this is my way of offering to help create content to match up to your product. I will create whatever sizing you prefer - so don't feel constrained. If you want artwork of some strange dimensions or round or triangle, I'll do it. If you want square, I'll keep on turning them out. You just have to let me know and I'll start pumping them out like Smurfette.
Ah, I did miss the original question, didn't I. The TV show section will, in all likelihood, use posters for the shows and seasons, much like the movie section and at the same ratio. The episode thumbnails will likely be widescreen ratio but shown at 4:3 when appropriate, and of a potentially larger size than people are used to.

But this is all hypothetical as I haven't had the chance to really design anything. So the best I can offer is that you stick to the movie thumbnail ratio; I appreciate it doesn't properly conform to the DVD covers the provide most of the artwork, but bloating all the coverflows and wraplists for the sake of a few pixels just doesn't seem worth it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getvideoartwork: TV Artwork Sizing & Stark0