Team iQuik Needs you...
Question 
With xbmc reaching linux at long last I wanted to fork xbmc to laptops as a direct replcement for dell media direct and being instalable on a partition started by a mapped button. This would initially be easier on Dell but I wanted then to extended to anyother laptops as well. Nod

The initial launch will contain a nice surprise and then it will be added up on to appeal to other professionals using laptops on the move.

Of course there will be diferences a lot of different code comming to the laptop land as well as the rebranded xbmc (Project Codename sabertooth) and code comming back down to xbmc trunk, but why laptops? Why fork? Stare

Well It may not be a secret that I have a design for a "htpc" very small factor design specifically to run xbmc linux and boxee and even the softwrae resulting, which will be designed specially again based on the great xbmc for this box with new exciting features.

For this I need capital and I need to stand aside xbmc and the laptops are perfect to see how the code runs because it will be closer to hight end laptops but It needs doing just because I hate Dell media Direct and xbmc is undeniable better. Wink Donno is proudly our XBMC expert consultant for Team iQuik and is supporting "me" US on Team iQuik.

There will be side projects for not counting xbmc and while I see the word banded about opensource can indeed make money. I will release the board designs as opensource hardware since its not based on any existing opensource hardware I can hold it until succsess as been held and Team xbmc get a share of the profits. That my friends is about time and well deserved. But its not done yet...

I have purchased the domain www.iquik.org and I have a similar setup with worpress MU, media wiki and I have phpbb forums instead of invision. I have designed the website and forums gfx and its all being built but slowly with only one webdeveloper on the case if there is anyone outhere that can help please help us.

We have despite my many attempts of getting help I have several names on the development of the program itself no one really commited like this project needs we are lacking in that commitement and help.

I can only feed graphichs to the team regardless if its the webdevelopment team or Project sabertooth or project iceman or even on project codename sphinx.

I wont say anymore and hope to see some interest and some people showing their support because damm we need it..

Word up everyone tell you grannies Shocked tell your friends Big Grin and even advertise it.Laugh
After reading your whole post I have yet to know what the point of your project is..
I think Fork, Linux & Laptops sum it up.. apart from that i dont know either..

Think it needs a better explanation
Quote:I wanted to fork xbmc to laptops as a direct replcement for dell media direct and being instalable on a partition started by a mapped button.

Well It may not be a secret that I have a design for a "htpc" very small factor design specifically to run xbmc linux and boxee and even the softwrae resulting, which will be designed specially again based on the great xbmc for this box with new exciting features.

and if that doest explain what its all about I suggest reading glasses

But its about developing xbmc with other features to run on laptops one of them webkit, dont know what webkit is google is your friend.

Replace Dell media direct with the fork of xbmc with some other features....

basically I dont understand what you dont understand,and I dont see any one volunteering just being sully.
X3lectric Wrote:and if that doest explain what its all about I suggest reading glasses

But its about developing xbmc with other features to run on laptops one of them webkit, dont know what webkit is google is your friend.

Replace Dell media direct with the fork of xbmc with some other features....

basically I dont understand what you dont understand,and I dont see any one volunteering just being sully.

I don´t get it either to be honest..

You want to fork the codebase to create a script/app that would launch this new XBMC when pressing a button.

You want to add features intended for laptop users? could you please clarify what these are because if they have anything to do with powermanagement, like dimming backlights, stepping down the CPU and battery management stuff you might as well wait for me to implement it as Im already working on it and will most probably have it available for XBMC for linux long before 9.04.

And sure webkit would be nice but do you really need to fork for that? a patch proving you can do it and you would most certainly get your branch to do it and XBMC will grow.

EDIT: I don´t mean to sound hostile or anything but I think you just need to provide more info on what you want to do.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I think what X3 is trying to explain is if you use/own a Dell (for example others do it to) laptop, instead of booting windows (or which ever OS floats your boat) you press a button on the laptop which in the case of the Dell launches Dell Media Direct without loading windows... it boots very fast and you have access to your media..... but as with most of this software Dell Media Dirtect is a DOG! But it sits in its own partition on the HDD!.... Replace that with XBMC Live... vola! Ass kickin Media software booting without your chosen OS at the touch of a button....

Do I think its a good idea? ... maybe ... would Dell or similar be interested?.... maybe...(its a light year better than the turd they've served up! LOL).. can I help code it?... nope I'm a Transmission engineer... Big Grin
Topfs2

Sorry that reading the part as to replace Dell media Direct is not clear enough in it self am I going to sit here and explain what Dell Media direct does? No! Why? go google.

Yes it is a half arsed turd of a media program that does not compare to xbmc. SOrry that iof you already plan on insert powermanagement features but you know what its still XBMC running off of a PC or homemade htpc so well your features may be great but your still missing the big point well 2 big points.

Also it is not self inatllable in a partition and does not replace Dell media direct.

Do I need to fork it to make this happen? No but then again Team XBMC is not willing to go down this road though I herad the its doable line no one as shown interest in another post.

This is not BTW a program that will be restricted to Dell Laptops it will spill over to other manufacturers that were wise enought not to release a turd of a media center.

(this is one of the points topfs) Also I designed a htpc boar which will require the data I gather from not just dell laptops, but other laptops to ensure that my CUSTOM board design hybrid board does perform to more than common HD resolutions.

No the software will not dimm the lights for you because its working from a different partition which is mean to save you power above all. so LEDS off and all your patches are automagically implemented.

XBMC DOES NOT INTALL ITSELF ON A PARTITION AND RUN ALONG SIDE ANYTHING its either it oranother OS.

If by explanation anyone expect me to sit here and give all the features away think again. whtaver these may be the code shall be passed dows to xbmc as patches if xbmc is interested in applying them good one, if not oh well.

I need volunteers to help code what will bring about I hope the freedom fom home made htpc's at a silly cost into a ready built tiny little sexy HTPC.

Geeba and topfs I dont really know what you expect for an explanation the fundamentals alone are all here if you wish to know more details and expect a detail expllanation of all the features I think your reading and answering the wrong post. and yes I do take a little offense especially from someone that deveops for xbmc.

Again I dont see anyone volunterring jusnt nit picking and being sully I trust that the devotion to XCBMC is causing this but XBMC is open source deal with it.

On another non related note there is a well know old XBMC saying...

"Want a new feature added go do it yourself."

I want a truck load of featurest that for the dell laptops will mean more that a media center sorry lapttop world may want more than a media center they may want to load up a module of ultravnc and manage their networks do I hear a grown ofn the back row going what xbmc and ultravnc wtf.... well that may be so but it is my decision and if you guys dont want to help dont really bother replying with sully begrudged answers.
Not sure I'd be using "go google" to a dev your possably asking help from..... just my thinking....

Cant see people beating your door down on this one.... Huh
Im not expecting ppl to do anything least of all beat my door down on this , though I wasnt quite expecting people being so sully and unwilling to even read.

Actually scratch taht I wants expecting to get my door knocked down by haters.

DEll Media Direct

Understanding Dell Media Direct partition

I expect that this will be sufficient for the lazy population

and no Im not happy that people are criticizing so much without a) reading whats writen downs and b)without even being qualified to do anything other then leech c) being qualified and still not getting that this is not competition this is a whole new boat
X3,

No offense, but I think the issue is that your posts are very hard to read. Maybe English isn't your mother tongue, and that is fine, but I think you need to re-read your posts and see if you can understand them yourself.

I think a lot of the confusion is in the wording/grammar of your posts. I for one have an extremely hard time understanding what you are trying to say.

Sorry if this also sounds harsh, but for me, I could not make sense of the post due to this. I'm sure if I re-read things a few times I could probably make heads or tails of the post, but should we really have to? I hope you take this as constructive criticism so that the next time you post, you take more care.

Thanks a lot.

TS
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
X3 I had googled for media direct and I did know perfectly well what it is and what it does. That was never my question.

I wondered about
Quote:Well It may not be a secret that I have a design for a "htpc" very small factor design specifically to run xbmc linux and boxee and even the softwrae resulting, which will be designed specially again based on the great xbmc for this box with new exciting features.
what new exciting features you had planned and wanted to inform you about powermanagement so it´s not done double work.

I am not a native english speaker and I realised this was sensative and thats why I clearly added that I never meant to be hostile, I was only interested and wanted to inform you about stuff so double work isn´t done.

However making XBMC Live installable on partition instead of entire harddrive is a good feature request and I for one see this behaviour being added to XBMC Live for sure, it´s still rather new piece of sw (less than a year infact) and we are working really hard to make it easy for users before adding all possible features.

And "If you want it done, make a patch" usually only applies on non-traditional feature requests that the team isn´t perticularly interested in. Otherwise we embrace feature requests and want to code them.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
X3lectric Wrote:Sorry that reading the part as to replace Dell media Direct is not clear enough in it self am I going to sit here and explain what Dell Media direct does? No! Why? go google.

You might want to check out this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=182495

I think you want more than what that will offer (like others I'm confused as to what 'more' is) but it might help you get an installer going.

For what it is worth, I don't think anyone sees this as competition. Most of what you've described can either already be achieved in xbmc, or would be accepted as a patch if the code existed. Sure you might have more ideas that diverge enough from xbmc to constitute a fork, but you haven't described them. You even said 'expect me to sit here and give all the features away think again.' It's OK to keep some features secret so you can suprise everyone once you release, but generally speaking if you need developers to work on your ideas, you need to let us know what they are.

Hopefully you won't take this as an attack, because it most certianly isn't. I'm simply asking you to tell us enough of your ideas to actually get people interested in it (especially those of us who don't have the Dell Media Direct button)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
tslayer Wrote:X3,

No offense, but I think the issue is that your posts are very hard to read. Maybe English isn't your mother tongue, and that is fine, but I think you need to re-read your posts and see if you can understand them yourself.

I think a lot of the confusion is in the wording/grammar of your posts. I for one have an extremely hard time understanding what you are trying to say.

Sorry if this also sounds harsh, but for me, I could not make sense of the post due to this. I'm sure if I re-read things a few times I could probably make heads or tails of the post, but should we really have to? I hope you take this as constructive criticism so that the next time you post, you take more care.

Thanks a lot.

TS

I 100% agree with this post.

I am also impressed by the amount of patience that the devs are giving to this thread. I'd be pretty irritated by now if I were you guys.

However, I do think that adding the ability to install XBMC Live on a partition rather than entire HD would be great, especially as an alternative to Dell's media software.
No English is not my mother language though I didnt think I stank so bad at it.

Suddendly this last few post people are starting to get what I was saying all along.

To Topfs no I cant submit it as a patch not at this time and rwparris I understand all the difficulties in getting some jobs done but understand that there is more here at steak than a new flavour of xbmc with exciting new features

I have spent the better part of the last well 5 years developing in a virtual environment a custom board design antecipating that XBMC would go Linux before it actually did maybe because people realised what I did Xbox is limited.

So having spent so much time developing it I have to A) develop a prototype and mass produce it this takes more then just a patch submited to xbmc so it can be installed in a partition or other patches that will I assure you reach xbmc, this takes bios development and hardware that runs under linux natively....

so past that little confusing 20 posts to get to the place where I started on my first post I still need help and Im not looking to poach them off team xbmc Im looking for new people that maybe wanted a project to join.

As for the waiting time of a year or possibly more is a purpose built htpc.

Tslayer I understand what I write just fine and so far in the end it seems everyone did as well though I think no one still may understand why I feel the need to fork. as for my next time I need to post I been using xbmc for over 5 years now and only made 50 post you wonder why I dont post more here..... try having to face a firirng squad before I get to the stage where Im actually understood. not because I think my english is that bad its because others dont understand what I write though I tend to make a few spelling mistakes here and there. By all means I taken this very constructively otherwise I just forget about replying and maybe instead of trying to contribute I could just keep on leeching like the majority of the users.

@raush101 if it was you you would be irritated by now? thank god your not in charge...

On another note alot of people have stopped working with me or started working with me only to go work for another team or project for some misterious cause... not that I would give up their names but lets just say and leave at the final point I dont expect anyone from these boards to join in and help regardless of what they may feel about the project.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Team iQuik Needs you...0