• 2(current)
A New Skin Concept
don't like the view type and other info on screen that doesnt concern movies

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Topfs2 Wrote:Well for the thumbs it should ideally only matter how much gfx horsepower (and gfx ram) you have, it might take some time to load them all up though. But I don´t dare to say it to certain as I haven´t looked through guilib to much.

I think it should be doable, or rather. It must be doable because that view is dead sexy Smile
Wallviews works good and this would be perhaps 8x more thumbs, I still think a recent enough of gfx will handle that.

Cheers,
Tobias

I guess that's true. Still, I have a 9500GT with 1 TB of graphics ram which is decent enough for a media pc and wall view isn't smooth in any of the skins that have it
It has nothing to do with GFX horsepower - it's the caching of thumbnails as you scroll back and forth. Cut out the upper and lower extremities of that angled wall view and you'll get the same average-decent performance as everyone else. Leave them in and it'll chug.

You'll run into one problem or other with all of those concepts. The wall views famously can't spill over the screen edges. The labels for the now playing box and listitem would overlap. The stuff you're suggesting for the OSD can't be done. A long and winding road of feature requests and compromises awaits. Still, nice ideas.
djh_ Wrote:It has nothing to do with GFX horsepower - it's the caching of thumbnails as you scroll back and forth. Cut out the upper and lower extremities of that angled wall view and you'll get the same average-decent performance as everyone else. Leave them in and it'll chug.

You'll run into one problem or other with all of those concepts. The wall views famously can't spill over the screen edges. The labels for the now playing box and listitem would overlap. The stuff you're suggesting for the OSD can't be done. A long and winding road of feature requests and compromises awaits. Still, nice ideas.

I calculated approx 162~ thumbs. Say they are 512x512. That would make every thumb approx 1 mb (RGBA uncompressed).
Say we double that amount to garantuee not hitting disk to much. The ram usage is still possible.

The problem however comes at swapping the ram data to texture and this takes time, On my computer if I change texture at every frame I still get a framerate of > 200 in a managed language. So changing a couple of textures a second should still prove possible. (given the gfx-card actually can store enough to both for the view, and the needed pre-cached)

Still I would say it might take alot of coding and alot of power. And when counting the numbers, yeah its definatly alot. But if the view got tilted just slightly the number of thumbs would drop significantly, then perhaps it will work Big Grin
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Thanks to all for the replies. For the angular wall...I was thinking maybe load only a certain amount of thumbs in the foreground and just have empty boxes in the distance to show perspective...maybe? Also, for long titles/labels I was thinking of fading the text past a certain point. Anyway, these are just ideas. Some more rough screens below.

Looks amazing!
http://www.phyletik.com/misc/xbmc/xbmc11.jpg
Perfect!

I love the saturated look you have gotten, makes the selected item standout alot.

Really hope someone can help you code this up.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
This is just the sexiest thing since Scarlett Johanssen! I'm absolutely loving the 3d wall view. Drooling for a chance to use this. Hope Djh gets a chance in his busy schedule to work on this. It's going to be a tough decision whether to use this or Stark!
It's definitely possible to a degree and I'll certainly lend a hand if the time presents itself. I'm thinking the lack of textures and fanart would have to count for something when it came to all those thumbnails. Still, though, I'd have to convince myself that the wall views could be done - code-wise, you're basically looking at the old Aeon Wall which you'll remember didn't work. But the idea of a gradient-based, texture-light skin is very appealing. I'll keep any eye on this, for sure.
this is fantastic!
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Wow!
One more useless post about the beauty of this mockup but I think its so nice that it deserves it!
Best regards
Oscar
Luvverly, it looks really good but a word of caution about that angled view - you won't be able to infinitely scroll in both directions so you need to choose one of them to be fixed (I would suggest fixing it horizontally and allowing infinite vertical scrolling). Whatever you choose for the fixed direction you don't want to include TOO many extra thumbs (those that can't be seen on screen) or it will make it quite difficult for the user to navigate and find stuff as they won't know which direction they need to go in to find it. (As you can tell we did quite a lot of work a while back on panel/wall type views and these are just some of the issues that cropped up)

Looks fantastic though and I hope it comes to something Big Grin
Looks gorgeous, but why display navigation arrows?. Feels redundant.
Looks nice, specially the Live TV view! I hope this will make it into the main branch sooner than later, so it's great to see that skinners are starting to think about it (*hint*hint*Aeon/MediaStream) Wink
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
Thanks for the comments all, I appreciate it. Do you guys like having info/description/list text on the left or the right side of the screen? What other views/screens would you like to see? Also, is the font big enough (I'm shrinking the images from 1080)? Any other suggestions/criticism?

Djh, and anyone else, if you ever have the time to code in the future then that would be cool. Just let me know and I'll finalize all the screens and upload the PSDs. Later on if there's time, I can make an interface mockup video in After Effects with screen animation suggestions (if you'd like).
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A New Skin Concept18