Sound not smooth in xbmc
I'm using

Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 Kernel 2.6.24-19
XBMC 8.10 SVN:16164 (Compiled: Nov 14 2008)

I have a Trust 5.1 Soundcard 5250 (snd_cmipci) and one on board (intel8x0). But I just using the trust one.

With VLC etc. my sound works perfect. Digital and analog. But in XBMC I don't know why the sound isn't smooth. There are very little interruptions. Digital even more than analog. It's like a-a-a-a-a instead of aaaaa. U can understand it but u can't really enjoy the sound. I tried different sources like mkv, divx, even dvds all the same.

Has anybody an idea what can cause that problem? As I said in VLC I don't have that problem..
Using pulseaudio? I don't know if it's a problem with newer builds though.

A debug log would probably be helpful too.

Check this out for more info: Sticky: HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner
sorry, here is my log:

http://pastebin.com/m5830fc91
Please update to latest SVN and try again. Your build is a bit old at this point. Your issue may have been fixed already.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I think I used the last stable version.. anyway I just updated to the latest SVN pre-9-04 r18563 (compiled: Mar 15 2009)

Maybe it's slightly better but still not ok

Here is the new log:

http://pastebin.com/m4e35ceed

What does the "DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuty - was:914449537.971455, should be:914439171.639918, error:-10366.331536" mean?
What about when playing just an MP3. Not from a video.

Also, what are your complete computer specs. Your video card seems a bit dated.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Good quesion I have never tried it. I'm updating Alsa at the moment I can't try it.

Yes it's not the newest hardware but I have no problems in VLC even if I play HD stuff. And the video is fine in xbmc as well.. just the sound is a problem.. My complete specs:

http://pastebin.com/m136d36c0
Ok I updated Alsa to 1.0.19 nothing changed.

I have just HipHop Mp3 it's kind of hard to hear interruptions but yes i would say the sound isn't clean as well...compared to vlc..
Your other option is to try pulseaudio. See if that makes any difference.

If an MP3 shows the same issue, then it may be alsa related. That is why trying pulse would be a worthwhile test.

yes i'll give it a try.. is there a xbmc pulseaudio howto or do i have pay attention related to xbmc?
Not sure as I don't use it Smile

But I think configure detects it if properly installed.

Another thing is that you should monitor cpu usage. Maybe your cpu usage is too high.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound not smooth in xbmc0