Why is transferring files via scp so slow?
first of all, I am pretty much a noob but have been able to get stuff working...

I have an apple tv with boxee and xbmc on it. i have a draft n wireless router. my computer is a dual core 2 3.0. i'm pretty sure everything is fast enoughHuh

I am using mainly xbmc since i find that buffering and playing media wirelessly has been more successful and faster than with boxee.

today every movie and tv show i have tried to watch has stopped to "catch up" or buffer ever 2-3 minutes. I restarted the atv and my computer hoping something was off. it still does it. so i decided to transfer some of the files directly onto the atv with winscp. holy moly.... why does it take sooo long? the tv show is 350mb and as I type this the status has moved from 1% to 4% with an estimated time left of 4 hours!! the transfer speed is only 20kB/s.

is it me or is that ridiculously slow?? normally it takes about 7 minutes to transfer a show of this size. oh wait, now i'm at 5%. :0

thanks
Wireless is awful for file transfer/streaming purposes. I know there are going to be a dozen follow ups say "nu-uh, it works awesome for me!" But, truth is, it comes down to how clean your RF environment is and what sits between the AP and your devices. Just because wireless is rated to be able to transfer at X rate, doesn't mean all the packets get there in one piece, or at all, so they have to be resent. Your best bet is to run a wire, but you may be able to get away with rearranging your devices so they are closer together and/or have less walls between them. This of course assumes you've ruled out obvious stuff like firewall/AV software and bad hardware.
Changing the channel of your wlan could also help if interference is the problem.
your wireless conductivity sucks Smile

I routinely get 3MB/s from 802.11g BUT the access port is three feet away from where I sit and there is no microwave/coreless phone here either.
i agree with althekiller completely. the other thing to keep in mind with secure copy (scp) is that it will be a little slower than other transport methods as there is the overhead of ssl. shouldnt make a huge difference, but it will be nominally slower.
after it transferring only about 150mb in 2 hours i terminated the transfer. i changed my wlan channel and restarted everything (again) and it seems to be working a little better now... i might be able to transfer in scp in Kbs instead of mbs...

thanks for your help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why is transferring files via scp so slow?0