[APPLETV] Cannot connect to SMB share where HD goes to sleep
I have a MyBook 500GB attached to my Apple Extreme router, and the AppleTV has an smb share to the drive, however when the drive spins down i get a Not Available message after it times out, if I open the share up in my windows machine then XBMC works perfectly.

Is there an option anywhere that XBMC pings the device to wake it from its sleep, so i dont have to keep opening up the share on a different device to spin up the Hard Drive.

Thanks for any help
I have been experiencing the exact same problem. If anyone has any answers, I would greatly appreciate it.
Sorry, I hate doing the "me too" thing, but... me too.

The worst way in which this problem manifests itself is if you leave a video you're watching in a paused state. If you leave it long enough for the hard drive to spin down, and then press play, XBMC will play out the rest of the buffer then immediately exit back to the menu. And the worst thing: It forgets your position in the video and restarts from the beginning when you press play again.

By the way, my hard drive is connected to my iMac via firewire, and XBMC reads the contents of the drive over FTP. I don't believe the answer to this problem lies with adjusting the power management settings on the mac. It is generally "a good thing" for the drive to power itself down when not in use... just as long as attempting to access it in the future successfully fires it up again.
I can't even reconnect after I access the HD from another computer to spin it up. It seems the only way for the SMB to connect is for me to go into the Airport utility, check and uncheck the "enable file sharing" box, and then click update. After that it will connect, but as the Airport Extreme restarts, I of course lose internet access for about 30 seconds.

It always worked fine before so I'm not sure if it is a XBMC problem, or the recent firmware update for the Airport Extreme.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLETV] Cannot connect to SMB share where HD goes to sleep0