[WINDOWS] Plugin or script to update Third-Party SVN builds?
I am not suggesting beta testing anything... simply that the abilty to tag a SVN as good be added. This way users can have SVN versions but not necessarily the latest to the second. It also allows as you have pointed out, stopping people upgrading when one is known to be broke.

Most SVN users care not a jot about beta testing and simply want never features (shiny kit syndrome). Thats just life unfortunately.

The main thing is that if the devs are working on a tricky bug there could be many builds that are broke in a row. Once you have an auto install client you need the ability hold users from grabbing this broke version.
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here
xexe Wrote:I am not suggesting beta testing anything... simply that the abilty to tag a SVN as good be added. This way users can have SVN versions but not necessarily the latest to the second. It also allows as you have pointed out, stopping people upgrading when one is known to be broke.

Most SVN users care not a jot about beta testing and simply want never features (shiny kit syndrome). Thats just life unfortunately.

The main thing is that if the devs are working on a tricky bug there could be many builds that are broke in a row. Once you have an auto install client you need the ability hold users from grabbing this broke version.
Only thing is, the 3rd party builds are not from devs. We just build. We don't know they are broke until they are already built and someone uses it and finds out that they are broke. How would we know ahead of time?
obviously precognition couldn't be designed in Tongue but there nothing to stop the community reporting problem. Once they know the function exists im sure community spirit will help out (even the devs might say... hold it at xxxx build while we deal with this)

That way all the users that hadn't updated yet would be saved from a broken install or core feature.

I was thinking of a way that this application would allow users to rate builds. that way we could even flag a build as bad if alot of users are rolling back to a previous build.
kay.one Wrote:I was thinking of a way that this application would allow users to rate builds. that way we could even flag a build as bad if alot of users are rolling back to a previous build.
That would be nice.
nice idea. go one further and give each instance a unique id (anonymous) and dont rely on human feedback which will be patchy at best

that way you can say things like xxx users on yy build. zzz user have donwgraded to this build etc

ties nicely into the "svn stable" idea we have been discussin

for these ratings to be tracked we need some server side support, anywhere we could host a webservice?

if the hostirng service is ASP.net i could write the server side as well.
but thats only needed to automagically "skip" bad builds... only a way to install an older version (instead of the last one) does the job man, if you see that isnt working, just install another one... not a very big deal, IMHO

but ok, everything "auto" would be so much nicer Nod
yeah i guess that could be phase 2. but for now, i need a list of build to parse. it could be an xml file, rss or even a simple html page.

can someone get that up and running?
kay.one Wrote:yeah i guess that could be phase 2. but for now, i need a list of build to parse. it could be an xml file, rss or even a simple html page.

can someone get that up and running?
I put up a build for you to test. Did you not get the PM? Let me know what else I have to do for you. I am not a web dev junkie so you'll have to hold my hand the first time thru.
i put to gether a sample xml that could be hosted somewhere, the update script could download this xml to figure out which build to download based on user settings.

<?xml version = "1.0" encoding = "utf-8"?>
<!-- Blank XML template -->
<XBMC>
<Build>
<Rev></Rev>
<Compiler></Compiler>
<Url></Url>
<CompileDate></CompileDate>
</Build>
</XBMC>

one thing i can figure out by myself and need you guy's help is what are the build options as previously mentioned, for example external player, intel fix..... i need all the different attributes so i can build it into the program.
kay.one Wrote:one thing i can figure out by myself and need you guy's help is what are the build options as previously mentioned, for example external player, intel fix..... i need all the different attributes so i can build it into the program.
Those are all separate branches or patches built/applied as requested or at the builders preference. They are not permanent choices, as the patches and separate branches eventually get merged into the main SVN so they appear in the vanilla builds. Is it possible to just have one "section" of alternative builds a user can choose from? If a user needs a specific build they should know what they are looking for in this "special" section.
what do you guys think about only doing the general build for now? if they change all the time i don't think there is going to be a way to fully automate the update.

lets say a user chosee branch 'A'. that branch gets merged into the main 2 weeks latter, that user won't get anymore updates since there wont be updated 'A' Builds!

what do you think?
kay.one Wrote:what do you guys think about only doing the general build for now? if they change all the time i don't think there is going to be a way to fully automate the update.

lets say a user chosee branch 'A'. that branch gets merged into the main 2 weeks latter, that user won't get anymore updates since there wont be updated 'A' Builds!

what do you think?
I agree. It's a bit too tricky to try having it for all the various branches/patched version that can appear. At least for now.
any other ideas about that xml file. any other info that we would want to know about a build?

and also, Kricker could you make your installer take parameters for every choice a user makes during the installations flow, (components, destination, settings folder).

i have found this documentation on
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Docs/Chapter4.html#4.8.1.36

if this is not something that you could do easily we have to depend on the default settings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Plugin or script to update Third-Party SVN builds?0