[WINDOWS] Plugin or script to update Third-Party SVN builds?
kay.one Wrote:any other ideas about that xml file. any other info that we would want to know about a build?

and also, Kricker could you make your installer take parameters for every choice a user makes during the installations flow, (components, destination, settings folder).

i have found this documentation on
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Docs/Chapter4.html#4.8.1.36

if this is not something that you could do easily we have to depend on the default settings.
I'll look into this. I'm a bit busy with work at the moment so it might take a few days. I'm starting to think unzipping files from a zipped build folder and file copying like BBB's script would be easier.
kricker Wrote:I'm starting to think unzipping files from a zipped build folder and file copying like BBB's script would be easier.

I'm starting to think the same.
Hi guys, just to provide an update,

I'm almost done. have most major pieces functional.

how the app works right now is you start it, it'll run on the background. check the server on scheduled basis to see if there is a new build available. if that is the case it'll download and install the new build.

one question i have is what options would you prefer for scheduling. right now all i have in mind is everyday at a set time. and of course you could always initiate a check update manually.
Definitely don't have the default downloading daily as I dont think we can scale without funding. e.g. 1000 users updating daily is very roughly 1.5TB per month.

How about a slightly different tack. Download a new build if XX builds newer than the current installed one or YY days older. Keeping the install latest option to be run manually and setting the default XX to say 100 and YY to 1 week means that during times of high change you arent dishing out thousands of copies and during times of low change you still are getting one new a week.

Adding a 3rd option "install a community SVN stables" means we could force everyone up to update or downgrade in times of problems.

People could tweak their install preferences but setting the default to 1 a day will quickly require massive amounts of bandwidth.
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here
Looking for some testers. anyone interested?
happy to test

me too
How about this :

We have an app that that would download the latest source and compile and update your local build with it .. Offcourse this means that you have setup vc2008 express on your machine ..
CrashX Wrote:How about this :

We have an app that that would download the latest source and compile and update your local build with it ..

I haven't looked at it, but i think you need alot installed to be able to compile and most people don't want all those on their computer,

besides that there are at least a few compiled build available each day!
Are you downloading full packages ?

Another option is to generate patches from the official build that we can run on our machines ..
CrashX Wrote:How about this :

We have an app that that would download the latest source and compile and update your local build with it .. Offcourse this means that you have setup vc2008 express on your machine ..

oh god know i dont want a compile environment on my "spent ages making it slick" HTPC.

Lord no. On my dual xeon, a compile still takes some time. Not what I would consider a quick update.
Kricker:

how about generating patches off offical builds ?
It's a complex thought, but I love the idea of "patches".

All the data we need is available.

Current SVN installed - check
Newest SVN revision available - check
List of changes in between - check

Along the lines of an earlier thought, instead of using an installer, could we just pull from a "Build ####" folder the files that have changed since the currently installed build?
As far as I know, when things are changed in SVN, the app has to be re-compiled. That is going to take time. It's not as simple as just swapping out a couple files. Sure there may be times when you actually could just swap out some files, but I am not going to spend my time trying to figure out when it is like that.

You all might want to try it out first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Plugin or script to update Third-Party SVN builds?0