[WINDOWS] Plugin or script to update Third-Party SVN builds?
I see your point. I was hoping there was some way to pick out the changed files automatically based on info from TRAC. Seems silly to download the entire installer if just the main program or a few xmls have changed. Saves downloading time and a heck of a lot of bandwidth.
david81 Wrote:I see your point. I was hoping there was some way to pick out the changed files automatically based on info from TRAC. Seems silly to download the entire installer if just the main program or a few xmls have changed. Saves downloading time and a heck of a lot of bandwidth.
The main program is a compile of the files changed on trac. The server the updates are currently on has unlimited bandwidth...or so I am told.
We currently generate the installer using a utility called makensis. Their is a plugin which should be installed by default as part of makensis called vpatch. We can use this plugin to generate the patches itself.
kricker Wrote:The main program is a compile of the files changed on trac. The server the updates are currently on has unlimited bandwidth...or so I am told.

The installer is currently 32+ MB, while xbmc.exe is only 8 MB.

If it were me, I'd rather just download and replace xbmc.exe if that is the only change, no install needed. Same applies to any other changes such as xml changes or default skin changes.

Why download all the unchanged stuff if we don't have to?
I'm downloading the compiled builds from kricker's website.
CrashX Wrote:We currently generate the installer using a utility called makensis. Their is a plugin which should be installed by default as part of makensis called vpatch. We can use this plugin to generate the patches itself.

Would this require an upgrade from only the most recent previous build? What if I chose to skip a few builds before updating?
david81 Wrote:The installer is currently 32+ MB, while xbmc.exe is only 8 MB.

If it were me, I'd rather just download and replace xbmc.exe if that is the only change, no install needed. Same applies to any other changes such as xml changes or default skin changes.

Why download all the unchanged stuff if we don't have to?
If someone can figure out how to package just the "changes" I'm sure things can be altered for that. Feel free to figure it out.

Right now the updater grabs a zipped up build folder and extracts the files to your XBMC folder. It does not overwrite anything in the userdata folder. It doesn't grab the installer file due to complexities of trying to pass switches to the installer so it is all done automatically.
whatabout "rsync"? it´s perfect for updating just changed files.. well.. the builds must still be compiled on the server..
XBMC on Win7
Zotac IONITX-A
I'm no TRAC expert, so please forgive me if I'm way off base.

Does TRAC support some sort of function that, if given two revision numbers it can tell you the files that are different?
at this time we can't really have partial transfers without over complicating things,

I came up with a simple way to do this a few years back but we would need a windows hosting server to do it.

if someone has access to asp.net hosting i would be more than happy to put some time into it.
If someone can help setup a server side SVN project and compile and be able to package up the changed items, step up and let us know. I'm all for only downloading what's needed, but right now we are doing the best we know how.
david81 Wrote:Would this require an upgrade from only the most recent previous build? What if I chose to skip a few builds before updating?

Depends on what you used the base as .. We can setup it up to use base as Official build ..
david81 Wrote:Would this require an upgrade from only the most recent previous build? What if I chose to skip a few builds before updating?

rightnow it wouldn't matter if you skip a build., even if you don't even have xbmc it'll install a fresh copy for you.
just a question, is it really an issue to download a 30mb file every few days?

i mean most of us use xbmc for movies and tv shows which are you know, downloaded!

no?
It's not really an issue for me, more of the principle of the thing. I'm more than grateful for the constantly updated builds that are available currently and upgrade more than my wife would prefer Smile

I guess I'm just of the mind of "If there is a "better" way, why not take it?"

It seems that reducing load on the server would be a good thing, so the less time I spend downloading, the more bandwidth is available for the next person.

Just thinking out loud here.

Suppose this "Updater" program reads your currently installed SVN revision.
It then goes to wherever the new builds are kept and finds the most recent build posted.
It takes those two revision numbers and heads off to TRAC and parses the list of changed files that TRAC spits out.
Then it comes back to the build staging area and downloads the neccesary files.

Does this make sense?

If I'm barking up the wrong tree, I'll go away and leave this to the experts.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Plugin or script to update Third-Party SVN builds?0