[WINDOWS] Plugin or script to update Third-Party SVN builds?
david81 Wrote:It's not really an issue for me, more of the principle of the thing. I'm more than grateful for the constantly updated builds that are available currently and upgrade more than my wife would prefer Smile

I guess I'm just of the mind of "If there is a "better" way, why not take it?"

It seems that reducing load on the server would be a good thing, so the less time I spend downloading, the more bandwidth is available for the next person.

Just thinking out loud here.

Suppose this "Updater" program reads your currently installed SVN revision.
It then goes to wherever the new builds are kept and finds the most recent build posted.
It takes those two revision numbers and heads off to TRAC and parses the list of changed files that TRAC spits out.
Then it comes back to the build staging area and downloads the neccesary files.

Does this make sense?

If I'm barking up the wrong tree, I'll go away and leave this to the experts.

that would work, but it would require A LOT of effort.

this is how i had it in mind, you would have an xml file on the server, this file contains list of all the files that make up xbmc with md5 signiture for each file, the client would download this xml file, compare each local file's md5 signature with the signature on the server copy, then it would download and replace each file that doesn't match.

but the main question is, how many people are going to use this app? is traffic really gonna be an issue? and at the end of the day is it worth the effort?
Just a note: It takes less than a minute on basic cable to download and install the new builds as they are. The host is really fast.
kay.one Wrote:that would work, but it would require A LOT of effort.

this is how i had it in mind, you would have an xml file on the server, this file contains list of all the files that make up xbmc with md5 signiture for each file, the client would download this xml file, compare each local file's md5 signature with the signature on the server copy, then it would download and replace each file that doesn't match.

but the main question is, how many people are going to use this app? is traffic really gonna be an issue? and at the end of the day is it worth the effort?

See, this is why you are a programmer and I'm not. I never would have thought of the md5 signatures. That makes a lot more sense and is a good bit simpler.

Would it also take into account any new files that exist in the updated SVN build? (I assume yes?)
To Avoid load on the server, we can just provide a link to download from multiple sites ( ie mirrors ) instead of the server ...
CrashX Wrote:To Avoid load on the server, we can just provide a link to download from multiple sites ( ie mirrors ) instead of the server ...
True, although this works similar to how the BBB script works for XBOX T3CH builds, and I never heard of any issues with that. We will be tracking the server load, and if it gets crazy we will make adjustments.
Created a new thread for public release

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=48517

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Plugin or script to update Third-Party SVN builds?0