just a few more day!
Just a few more days until Stark will be released! Are you guys excited just like me?

Just wanted to say this Big Grin
Don't dream your life, live your dream
Just imagine the silence on this forum once it goes public. I won't have time to post, that's for sure Big Grin
silence? lord we'll have post after post with people already suggesting features for the next version, and people who don't RTFM and don't want to spend the time figuring it out asking questions. Right now I have a 4:3 monitor and crappy low res fanart. The video of it I watched on Youtube is SO BEAUTIFUL. I fear on my PC with the backdrops I have it will be BLAH! I have less than a week to come up with a wide screen LCD & find tons of high quality 1080p fan art and backdrops. This just might be the best release of the year.

Right now I'm finishing building a HTPC for a friend, who isn't a computer guy at all. I plan to put Stark on it. Imagine a person not knowing anything about XBMC or what it can look like having their first encounter of it with Stark on their 52" Sony XBR. He's going to go nutts. lol
Oh yeah, I'm definitely excited. A new UI is as good as a new release of XBMC or even a new HTPC. Here's hoping the release comes together on time.

Can't wait!
quebert Wrote:Right now I have a 4:3 monitor and crappy low res fanart. The video of it I watched on Youtube is SO BEAUTIFUL. I fear on my PC with the backdrops I have it will be BLAH! I have less than a week to come up with a wide screen LCD & find tons of high quality 1080p fan art and backdrops.

Fanart: http://themoviedb.org/movie
Posters: http://getvideoartwork.com/

Also there is quite a few very nice backdrops at http://www.aeonproject.com Big Grin
click my sig
this skin will blow.. all of djh's stuff is so amateurish I'm not sure why he even posts it. he must hang his head in shame in public with such lacking skills.

...or maybe the complete opposite Wink

I have no idea what he does for work but if it is not graphic design he should consider it as a 2nd career if he needs one.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Believe me on this one: The wait will be worth it.
Aeon is gorgeous.
And another useless post from me:

I CANT WAIT! Smile GIMME GIMME GIMME!

all your aeon r belong to us! Muahahah!
Definitely looking forward to the public release!

I've been spending the last month or so learning XBMC (Previous Meedio user) and updating my extensive music collection to be ready.
I can't remember the last time I was waiting this bad for something to come out on the PC. Thank GOD I laid off XBMC for awhile and just discovered Stark a few days ago. If I had seen screen shots and the youtube video a month or 2 ago I would have went NUTTS. Probably would have ended up freezing myself in ice like Cartman when he couldn't wait for the Wii to come out lol.
i must admit at 33 years old i very rarely (never) get excited about anything but i am rather looking forward to seeing stark all set up on my tv
Mardagg Wrote:Definitely looking forward to the public release!

I've been spending the last month or so learning XBMC (Previous Meedio user) and updating my extensive music collection to be ready.

Do you mean MeediOS? If yes, can you write up a short comparison between XBMC & MeediOS?

I have yet to see any comparisons.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
meediOS is not out yet, well at least not in finished formed. He did in fact mean meedio. I previously used meedio before coming over to XBMC.

To sum it up very quickly. If you watch tv or have a pvr built, then I would highly recommend checking out meedios. It easily allows you to launch external programs. I used a meedio setup for tv shows, movies, music, online videos, and picture browsing. I then had a snapstream setup for recording and compressing tv recordings.

I have since got an HD DVR form Cox. Although I much prefer the DIY route, there were no options in the DIY PVR front that allowed me to record encrypted HD channels., so I had to go with the cable DVR.

Very simply put, Meedio is a much less user friendly setup than XBMC. XBMC is very simple and it just works. To get a proper Meedio setup requires lots of reading to set things up properly. In the end it is worth it, but it isn't for everyone. Also, XBMC performance is better. Animations and general flow of the program is much more fluid than meedio which is a much older program whose functionality is only extended by skinners and new plugins. The core program hasn't been updated in years.

MeediOS on the other hand has been in development for quite some time, but has not seen a stable release as of now.

My personal opinion is that XBMC is much better, at least for what I do. The meedio community is a great community, but so is the XBMC community. We have people like who have done amazing work, DJH (Aeon).

If you are interested in diving in to something new, check out meedio. It's worth it, but setup is extensive and you may be bugged by the performance of fanart. It's my understanding the CRN has done very good coding for meedio and has eliminated some of the fanart issues I had experienced when I still used Meedio, but this was when fanart was just making it's way in to media center programs.
Yes it was Meedio that I was using. I had been using it as my primary media center since it was first released years ago as a replacement for windows media center.

MeediOS is a step in the right direction as they are removing alot of the older legacy issues with meedio and should speed things up quite a bit. Thats one of the biggest downfalls to meedio right now is the speed of it is very sluggish especially compared to XBMC.

One of the advantages Meedio has over XBMC right now is just how customizable the library/database is.. but its also a downfall since setting it up and to truly take advantage of capabilities, it has to be run outside of the media center in the configuration client. Thats one of the things I really like about XBMC is how easy it is to setup things inside the program. Both are pretty similar in media organization, so it was just getting use to the way XBMC handles NFO's and thumbnails and its been pretty smooth sailing since.

The only things that held me back from switching over sooner was having to setup my remote since I was using my mouse exclusively with Meedio and getting XBMC to go fullscreen when I first set it up. Once I got those setup its been a great transition. Also the addition of the external video player to the SVN builds has been a godsend.

Of course the main reason I spent the time converting over was in anticipation of Stark.. after following the screenshot releases religiously I figured if it looked that good I needed to give XBMC a chance and I've been loving it so far!

XBMC does everything I was doing on Meedio (only better). In fact I've removed my Meedio setup and have converted over to XBMC full time. I still check in on the MeediOS forums from time to time and will probably give MeediOS a try when it gets further along in development but I really can't see myself leaving XBMC and the community as I read here daily and am I full fledged convert now. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
just a few more day!0