problem with dvdplayer
I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the xbox forum. If the later, someone please move this there. Thanks.

I'm running XBMC on an xbox, T3CH build from 12-30-08, using the PM3 skin.

So I have ripped my screener dvd of Defiance (don't worry, it's original & legal, and I'm not going to share it with anyone) to ISO on my HDD for playback on my xbmc box. This is an uncommon DVD of course, so I don't expect people to have direct experience with it. However, maybe if I describe the problem someone can think of a reason why it might be happening...

If I play the ISO via the xbmc box, or directly on my PC by mounting the ISO with Daemon Tools and playing with VLC, it will play until exactly 9:00 minutes into the feature, then it quits. Not back to the menu, or start of the disc, it totally stops playing, as if you hit "stop".

However, if I play it on mplayer, it plays perfectly, and on mplayerclassic and WMP11, it plays through the 9:00 minute mark with just the slightest hiccup, and continues on to play the whole movie. Also, if I scan past the 9 minute mark, it continues to play fine on VLC and xbmc

I currently have no other way to watch movies on my HT than to rip them and then play via xbmc (my dvd player is dead, and the xbmc box dvd drive is dead too.)

I'm fairly sure this isn't a copy protection issue, since the DVD didn't even have CSS encryption (many screeners don't). Also, I've re-ripped using DVDFab5, and AnyDVD. All three rip methods result in the same problem.

Any ideas why this is happening, and why WMP11 and mplayer can handle it? I'm posting here, because since it happens with both VLC, and XBMC, I'm guessing it's a problem with the FFMPEG/libmpeg codec suite(s)...? but not sure. Actually I have no idea. :-)

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions... I'm more just curious. This isn't a huge issue, because I can scan past that point in the movie and it will continue to play fine. So I can still watch the movie. It's a minor annoyance, but a major curiosity to me! :-)

EDIT:
It just dawned on me to try playing the physical disc on my computer. I don't have XBMC installed on the PC, but I do have VLC. The physical disc choked in the same spot, just like the rip version. So it must be an error in the disc itself, one that WMP11, mediaplayerclassic, and mplayer can handle, but VLC and XBMC can not.

Weird.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
problem with dvdplayer0