• 2(current)
[LINUX] Asus Pundit P4-P5N9300 Media Center Remote Control and LIRC?
which version of lirc do you use? as I posted before only the last version (lirc-0.8.6pre1.tar.bz2) recognize the irc chip
I wonder if you could write up a step-by-step / tutorial for a noob? I got the same machine running in ubuntu. I would be very thankful!
sudo apt-get install dialog
Download lirc-0.8.6pre1 and move it to /usr/src
sudo su
tar xvfj lirc-0.8.6pre1
cd lirc-0.8.6pre1
sh setup.sh
Driver configuration(1) > IrDa/CIR hardware(6) > ITE IT8712/IT8705/IT8720 CIR port (3) and "save configuration & run configure" in first menu
make
make install

This is my steps i do after remove the older lirc from apt-tree and rm -rf /usr/src/lirc*
I don't have dev/lirc0 or any config-files in /etc/lirc and can't run "sudo /etc/init.d/lircd start" couse it doesn't exist. Maybe i should do it again and look for errors when i compile?
Ok now i have reinstalled ubuntu jaunty again and haven't touched the synaptic lirc. I added this to /etc/modules
lirc_dev
lirc_it87

This gave me /etc/lirc0 now but still no /dev/lirc or /dev/lircd can i just link them from /usr/local/sbin where i found them?

dmesg |grep lirc
Code:
[  175.590388] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[  180.828797] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0
[  180.828862] lirc_it87: found IT8720.
[  180.828876] lirc_it87: set default io 0x310
[  180.828890] lirc_it87: set default irq 0x7
[  180.828922] lirc_it87: I/O port 0x0310, IRQ 7.

Can this be an issue ? In bios my CIR have IRQ11 and it's only possible to choose IRQ 11 or 5. Can i force it to choose IRQ 11 by adding
Code:
options lirc_it87 irq=11 io=0x0310
into /etc/modules?

Sorry for all questions.
Now i have uninstalled the new version and installed the one from synaptic, after that i compiled and installed the newer one over it.

AND IT'S WORKING FINALLY!

Configured with MCE and then changed the REMOTE_MODULES to IT87. Then i Use harmony 555 to act like the MCE remote.

Code:
# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE="Windows Media Center Remotes (new version Philips et al.)"
REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev [b]lirc_it87[/b]"
REMOTE_DRIVER=""
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Chosen IR Transmitter
TRANSMITTER="None"
TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Enable lircd
START_LIRCD="true"

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD="false"

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES="true"

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCMD_CONF=""

#Forcing noninteractive reconfiguration
#If lirc is to be reconfigured by an external application
#that doesn't have a debconf frontend available, the noninteractive
#frontend can be invoked and set to parse REMOTE and TRANSMITTER
#It will then populate all other variables without any user input
#If you would like to configure lirc via standard methods, be sure
#to leave this set to "false"
FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="false"
START_LIRCMD=""
happy to see it finally works Big Grin

for the others:
if you installed from the source - there is no conf files - you have to run :
- "modprobe lirc_it87" that will create /dev/lirc0
- "lircd -d /dev/lirc0 -o /dev/lircd" to launch lirc daemon and create the socket lircd used by xbmc

anyway I'm very happy with the pundit (6s to have xbmc running Big Grin), the only "problem" I couldn't resolve is to switch on the pundit with my remote ^^
I think the easiest way for ubuntu-users is to install lirc first with apt-get and then compile the newer version. If you have more than one kernel make sure the right one is /usr/src/linux couse otherwise the modules will be installed into another kernel.

Anyway i have learned alot with all this problems... And now... when im finally done with lirc my FloppyDTV TV-card doesen't want to work Big Grin
Don't know if it's possible to connect the card from the "firewire 1" on the card to the firewireport..
I give up. Could someone post a detailed how-to from step one? I can't get it to work Sad
SmeagolL Wrote:I give up. Could someone post a detailed how-to from step one? I can't get it to work Sad

which distribution of Linux do you use? if gentoo I can help you but I don't know very well ubuntu - hope someone can help you Nod
im using ubuntu jaunty jackalope. Is it that different?
you can always write one up for gentoo and ill see if i can make it work Smile
SmeagolL Wrote:you can always write one up for gentoo and ill see if i can make it work Smile
I can help you. Don't give up yet, i had to spend around 20-30h to figure out how to do but learned alot so i think i can help. What type of remote do you use?

sudo apt-get install lirc (configure with the remote you want to use, i choose MCEUSB new Philips et al and emulated it with my logitech harmony 555)
sudo apt-get install dialog
sudo su
cd /usr/src
wget http://www.lirc.org/software/snapshots/l...e1.tar.bz2
tar xvfj lirc-0.8.6pre1
cd lirc-0.8.6pre1
sh setup.sh
Driver configuration(1) > IrDa/CIR hardware(6) > ITE IT8712/IT8705/IT8720 CIR port (3) and "save configuration & run configure" in first menu
make
make install
nano /etc/modules add lirc_dev and lirc_it87
nano /etc/lirc/hardware.conf change to this REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_it87"
reboot or restart lirc and it should work

otherwise try modprobe lirc_dev && modprobe lirc_it87 and see if you get /dev/lirc0 and try sudo mode2 /dev/lirc0 and press buttons on remote

And just like darkattraction wrote on #10
Quote:so I added in /etc/conf.d/lirc the option "-o /dev/lircd"
and I created a symlink /var/run/lirc/lircd to /dev/lircd as to check my remote with irw
To get irw to work you have to do this.
im trying to get a macbook/mac mini remote to work. I'll try on your instructions Smile
i got /dev/lirc0 but i can't run sudo mode2 /dev/lirc0. And i don't have that /etc/conf.d/lirc (reckon it's a gentoo thing?)

I'm about giving up on ubuntu, i wanted a simple media center but i can't get the remote working and not the spdif sound.

Do you have any problems in gentoo? maybe i should change or simply go to windows x)
SmeagolL Wrote:i got /dev/lirc0 but i can't run sudo mode2 /dev/lirc0. And i don't have that /etc/conf.d/lirc (reckon it's a gentoo thing?)

I'm about giving up on ubuntu, i wanted a simple media center but i can't get the remote working and not the spdif sound.

Do you have any problems in gentoo? maybe i should change or simply go to windows x)
We'll get this thing working don't worry.

Have you tried "sudo modprobe lirc_it87" ? Does it load propertly?

What does "cat /var/log/daemon.log | grep lirc" show?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Asus Pundit P4-P5N9300 Media Center Remote Control and LIRC?2