[BUG] Resuming from standby causes XBMC to crash
uchenzei Wrote:iBeech I found your tiny application very very useful! Thanks a lot Nod
I also think it would definitely be amazing if this application could be expanded a bit and I would do it by myself if only I was able to program. For example:

- launch more than 1 application sequentially when resuming from standby
- customize the application list with a simple .ini or similar
- close a given application (or all applications) before entering in standby (this would be a killer feature! Wink)

Too many pretensions? Big Grin

Sure, all of those features would be pretty easy to implement for you. I'll see if i get time at lunch. The XML config will look something like

<Config>
<App Order=1 Path="C:\PathToApp\App.exe" RestartOnResume=false RestartOnSleep=true />
<App Order=2 Path="C:\PathToAnotherApp\App2.exe" RestartOnResume=true RestartOnSleep=false />
</Config>
iBeech Wrote:Sure, all of those features would be pretty easy to implement for you. I'll see if i get time at lunch. The XML config will look something like

<Config>
<App Order=1 Path="C:\PathToApp\App.exe" RestartOnResume=false RestartOnSleep=true />
<App Order=2 Path="C:\PathToAnotherApp\App2.exe" RestartOnResume=true RestartOnSleep=false />
</Config>

Sounds very good Smile
I suppose resume=hibernation and sleep=standby right?
What do you think about the possibility to automatically close an app *before* system goes into standby? I've been searching on the net for ages looking something like that but I've never been able to find anything...
before the system goes into standby could be possible. It depends when the event gets through. I'll take alook.
iBeech Wrote:before the system goes into standby could be possible. It depends when the event gets through. I'll take alook.

I would like to be able to help you but the only idea I formed is that there should be some difficulties in intercepting the power button pressure and execute custom operations before system goes sleeping...
uchenzei Wrote:Sounds very good Smile
What do you think about the possibility to automatically close an app *before* system goes into standby? I've been searching on the net for ages looking something like that but I've never been able to find anything...

Check out EventGhost. It will do that. It's how I deal with this problem on my machine.
Dam0 Wrote:i have been experiencing similar crashing/lack of display output when return from hibernate for a while now.

after power button to resume, if i get a blank screen, i have to hit reset button on pc to reboot. powerbutton again seems to put the pc to sleep, however the pc will resume again on next button press with blank screen output.

Dam0

I'm having same as Dam0, after resume app is up but no video can here navigation sounds so app running. I've programmed event ghost with a close and launch button to get round it but is a pain explaining it to missus
Just setup EventGhost to close XBMC when going to sleep and open it when resuming. That's what I did when I was on Windows.
RockDawg Wrote:Check out EventGhost. It will do that. It's how I deal with this problem on my machine.

But isn't EventGhost a remote control related software? I don't use any remote control and the way I send pc into standby and resume it is simply pressing the power button on case.
Do you mean I can setup EventGhost in such a way that when I turn on/off system from/to standby it could launch or close a given application?
You can use EventGhost without a remote. Just catch the sleep and resume events. You might need to write a batch file or something to close XBMC and then call that. To start it back up, just call the exe.
xanadu1979 Wrote:You can use EventGhost without a remote. Just catch the sleep and resume events. You might need to write a batch file or something to close XBMC and then call that. To start it back up, just call the exe.

Just to be sure to understand you, the batch file is needed because eventghost can't close a target application by itself?
If so, could you suggest me how to write this batch (which I suppose to be a dos command)?
Yeah, I don't think EventGhost has a command to kill a process. I could be wrong though. I switched to Ubuntu a few weeks ago so I can't look it up, sorry.

The script depends on which OS you are using. Look up taskkill and pskill on Google. You likely either have one or the other on your computer. You should just be able to pass it xbmc.exe.

Or, you could map a key to the built-in close app command in xbmc's keymap.xml and then have EventGhost hit the key for you. That might be safer than trying to kill the process. Just open keymap.xml and in the keyboard section under global add something like:
<z>XBMC.Quit</z>

You don't have to use z, just use a key that isn't already used. Then have EventGhost hit that key.
this bug still not fixed? just only after some svn, may be 18xxx...

now i ceased to try new svns until it is fixed.
yeah still a problem in latest build
xanadu1979 Wrote:You can use EventGhost without a remote. Just catch the sleep and resume events.

mmm...I'm trying doing this on eventghost but can't find a proper way.
As much as I understand this software, things work like this:

Plugin -> Macro -> Actions

Each plugin handles some events which user can intercept.
The problem is that I cannot see a system plugin nor any system "events" like standby...Huh
Please test if it's still a problem with r19341.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[BUG] Resuming from standby causes XBMC to crash0