My humble request for assistance
1. Ubuntu 8.10 up to date as of 2009-04-01
2. Linux Distribution: Ubuntu 8.10
3: Architecture: i686
4. Install Method: Synaptic Package Manager
5. SVN Revision: N/A program will not boot
6. Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem: I can't give much in the way of unusual circumstances under which this discord arose between my system and XBMC. Basically I had XBMC's windowed client running on my second desktop so that it did not overlap with my browser on the other screen. I had the UPNP server option enabled so that I could supply media to the three other computers in my household (also running windows distros of XBMC) along with my PS3. When I turned on my ps3 to use the media server it did not appear, this having happened before I promptly came to my linux box in order to remedy the situation by restarting XBMC. I closed the program and went through my applications menus to start a fresh boot of XBMC. to my horror nothing happened, there was no indication of execution of code. after I rebooted my system the problem persisted. at which point I resolved to do a fresh install of XBMC. I marked the program for removal in Synaptic Package Manager (SPM for the purpose of shortening the already lengthy post) and applied all changes. when I went to install xbmc-common from SPM I recieved the following message "xbmc-common: Depends: nvidia-180-libvdpau but it is not installable" Perhaps at this point it is worth mentioning that I am extremely new to linux and for the most part have had my friend's help to install packages and obtain repositories, and also that I had no problems aside from the aforementioned need for the occasional rebooting of the program or system in order to gain UPNP functionality. I am also wondering why I would need nvidia drivers for a computer lacking an nvidia chipset (see below). My apologies for this lengthy post.
7. FULL Debug Log: N/A (the program is not currently installed)
8. Backtrace: N/A
9. Compiler Output: N/A

Thank you for any assistance you may offer in this matter.
Lirtukus, I went through your post twice and I still cannot understand what exactly your problem is. What happens when you run XBMC in xterm? Did you try to install release version from xbmc.org instead of SVN version from package manager?

You do not need NVIDIA driver to run XBMC. However the version you're trying to install depends on NVIDIA libraries for VDPAU support. If you don't have nvidia card, you cannot use it anyway and I'd suggest you get a version which does not have it. Or compile it yourself.
Make sure you enabled the right repository in Synaptic (deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-intrepid/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main). You might have enabled the SVN PPA, which is sort of experimental (deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main).

If that's the problem, then replace, reload and reinstall XBMC.
Ubuntu 9.10 - XBMC 9.11 Beta

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My humble request for assistance0