The first Nvidia Ion computer will be released next week
The Acer Hornet will be released on April 8:
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090401PD220.html

Specs:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/31/ion-b...-playback/

XBMC + VDPAU + Small form factor = HEAVEN
I wonder if that motion sensing controller will work with lirc.
It looks like a cheap wiimote ripoff - i'd go with the original, because it 'just works[tm]'
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Isn't the Ion supposed to use the Atom 330 (dual) and not the Atom N230 (single)!?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Nice. I was looking for smth like that for a custom dual-WAN router... The only problem is lack of extra NICs and the powerful video card I don't actually need... But this is the closest one in the cheap segment of the 'mini-pcs' market to the thing I'm looking for.
volenin Wrote:Nice. I was looking for smth like that for a custom dual-WAN router... The only problem is lack of extra NICs and the powerful video card I don't actually need... But this is the closest one in the cheap segment of the 'mini-pcs' market to the thing I'm looking for.

you want an ALIX board from pc engines -- http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm .... I run pfsense on one and its great.... they're made specifically for firewalls/routers/etc and priced reasonably
I can't wait to see how XBMC performs on this platform. If its even close to what NVidia are showing off on their website, this will be heaven. I've actually been holding off building an XBMC box until we see some Ion stuff out there.

So, how long till someone on the forums gets this Hornet?
Very interested in this as well, my original chipped xbox just died recently after several years of faith full service. So I started reading about HTPC's and it looks like I won't have to wait too much longer for some ION stuff to become available. I'll be watching the forums intently on information about ION/XBMC machines.
I won't wait, really. Considering it's a brand new platform, it will be a while (at least half a year, though most probably more than that?..) till any Linux distro would run reliably enough on this platform and all quirks are worked out. And then you'd have to deal with some platform specific XBMC bugs... After all, it's a brand new motherboard and chipset.

Another drawback I see is lack of _rack space_ inside the case. Eg, in my case my HTPC has three different functions:

- media center (XBMC)
- file server
- torrent client

And while for the first and the last function the 'light weight' setup will work, if you have any significant media library you'll have to setup another file server hardware. Now, it can be a 'function specific' file server (ie, 'off the shelf'), but the price / value is quite poor (normally you'd have to pay over $150 for anything decent, in most cases not extendable, with only two bays for HD). Another drawback is that having torrent client ('writer') and main consumer ('reader'), and NAS on two separate network nodes reduces overall reliability (we are talking soho networks here, not redudant enterprise stuff Smile ).

On the other hand, any mini-ATX case would give you 6 to 9 bays for standard 3.5'' HDs, and standard mini ATX MB will give at least 5-6 SATA connectors (with another 6-8 USB connectors through which you can extend even further via SATA-USB adapters). In other words, in home setup, I found it useful to actually aggregate all functions into one box. All, except for one - custom router, if you need one (for which I'd definitely have a look at the link posted above - THANKS! - or JetWay extendable mini ITX board). But that's purely network gear in any case.

In other words, build your XBMC box today, don't wait another year Wink.
volenin Wrote:After all, it's a brand new motherboard and chipset.

It is not. I wouldn't call Atom and a 9400M as new - those are at the market for at least a year and are very well supported under Linux. Just because Ubuntu does not support it (i don't know) does not mean it won't run. I'm pretty sure you won't have more problems than with any other hardware currently available. As for your NAS needs - this is your opinion and i accept this, but lots of folks simply don't need a NAS (including me) and are pretty fine with a small, noiseless and powersaving box with ~500gb space which can handle 1080p - and that's what ion is for.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I'd buy one.. Perfect media centre if you ask me and the best be is it can double up and be used for other tasks.

For a low power torrent client / nas I use NSLU2, 4gb USB stick for it's debain OS & then a 1TB usb hdd on the 2nd port. If you have the skills you can add another 3 usb ports to it (I don't have the soldering skills or I would).
Will I by a ION?, probably.
Will I by this cheap looking Toys"R"Us product? hell no.
Am I right in saying that you can only take advantage of the Video Hardware in this if you run Linux and VDPAU?
This is a potential STB. Small, low power, low noise, low heat. I have a pair of ATOM powered desktops with the crappy Intel video and the silly things are so low power they run off a wal wart power supply, have no fan on the CPU heatsink, and the one fan it does have is TINY! Now this thing may use a little bit more juice but it won't be much more. For a box on top of the TV stand it's a great idea!

What it's not is a powerhouse box ready to handle TBs worth of video storage and tons of background processes. Yeah it might handle a Torrent client since VDPAU leaves so much CPU idle but why would you do that? Keep the WAF high and make it an appliance, dedicate a distro to it and it's a toaster ready to do it's one sole purpose in life. Store the video on something better ventilated and nosier in a closet somewhere that can be accessed by all of the other clients on the network too. Maybe run a Torrent client on THAT box instead? I've got more than a couple of TB worth of movies, I would never ever expect to put those on the HTPC directly!

This sort of box is perfect for a purpose but it's not going to do everything. Oh and Phoronix has already run Linux with VDPAU on this sort of hardware in the past. While I cannot recall if it was Ubuntu or not hardware support for this ALREADY exists! I and others await it's release at a decent pricepoint. Frankly I'd buy the demo hardware NVIDIA was showing off just as it stood - no need for fancy stuff to be done to it. I'm perfectly happy hiding the silly thing behind the TV with only the IRDA receiver showing for use....
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
HexusOdy Wrote:Am I right in saying that you can only take advantage of the Video Hardware in this if you run Linux and VDPAU?

With XBMC? I would assume you are correct.

In Windows, you could probably use a solution that supports DXVA. I made sure to point that out in the comments of the Engadget article when somebody else mentioned that XBMC now supports GPU decoding.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The first Nvidia Ion computer will be released next week0