• 2(current)
[DOWNLOAD/CHANGELOG] Aeon (via github)
djh_ Wrote:So you can now download Aeon fresh from github, which I'm fast discovering is very cool. No need for update releases and patches anymore, just follow the link and hit the download button for the latest version.

http://github.com/djh/aeon/tree/master

Changelog here:

http://github.com/djh/aeon/commits/master

You have just made things so incredibly easy for those of us on Linux, thank you!

If anybody is using Linux, and not sure what to do here, make sure you have git installed ("sudo apt-get install git-core" if you're on Ubuntu) and then just do the following at a terminal (don't forget to remove your existing Aeon installation first!):

Code:
cd ~/.xbmc/skin
git clone git://github.com/djh/aeon.git

And then, when you want to update to the latest build, just do the following in a terminal:

Code:
cd ~/.xbmc/skin/aeon
git pull

That's it!
krypt2nite Wrote:Could you paste one of your movie nfos?

no nfo's for movies. reading directly from file names. which are Movie.Name.YEAR.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-GROUP.mkv
am i doing something wrong i'm unable to download. clicking on download does nothing. I've signed up, not sure if i needed to but tried it and still nothing.
V.

*Windows 7 Pro
*EVGA 512-P2-N635-AR GeForce 7950GT 512MB
*ASUS M2N32-WS Pro AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI ATX Server Motherboard
*AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor
Seems the site is broken with IE8, can't download...

EDIT: Venealis, are you uising IE8?

EDIT 2: Installed git on my linux box instead.
Do you have javascript enabled in your browser? Clicking download opens a pop up asking you to chose between "zip" or "tar" file format. But it's not a normal window, is a popup on the page itself and it needs javascript for that.
So there's obviously a 'technicality' with some of the fonts Aeon uses, which is why I've excluded them from the github resource. I'll be posting a version with the newly standardised fonts on the website, and a zip with the fonts themselves here. So once you've got those installed you're good to go. It's not an ideal solution, but as the fonts shouldn't be changing a great deal it's serviceable enough.

People doing localisations should check the font.xml file and note the changes.
djh_ Wrote:So there's obviously a 'technicality' with some of the fonts Aeon uses, which is why I've excluded them from the github resource. I'll be posting a version with the newly standardised fonts on the website, and a zip with the fonts themselves here. So once you've got those installed you're good to go. It's not an ideal solution, but as the fonts shouldn't be changing a great deal it's serviceable enough.

People doing localisations should check the font.xml file and note the changes.

You're saying we'll have to download fonts separately from the skin package for the skin itself to work properly?

On topic, I download Aeon from git and installed it for the first time and have lots of things to say about it but I'm still checking it out, I just want to say one thing before reporting bugs or making feature suggestions... I checked the version installed by going into the "Aeon Assistant" and it was reported as "0.9 (Stark") isn't supposed to be 0.91? Or the git is no updated with 0.91 changes?
I wouldn't pay much attention that bit in the Assistant, it's just a string. And yes, you'll have to download the fonts the one time to put them in the directory, then you can just update from github. Unless you want the powers that be at github to declare a breach of their terms of service, of course...
Nazgulled: Each time you download a zip from the github repo or 'git pull' (if you use git from the command line) you get the newest and freshest version of Aeon.

Furthermore, if you learn to use git, you'll get a free gift in exchange: instead of downloading 80MB+ each time to get the last version, typing 2 words (git pull) on your command line, you'll be updated by just downloading the modifications done since your last 'git pull'. So from 80MB to 1k (most of the time), for each update.

PS: There are lots of additional advantages by using git, but that one is quite convincing to begin with, I guess.
djh_ Wrote:I wouldn't pay much attention that bit in the Assistant, it's just a string.
I know, but it would allow to have control over which version we have exactly... I just changed the skin to "Portuguese" and that field showed as "1.0 (stark)" lol... I know there are better things to take care of but maybe you could add a field (somewhere) that is the version field and all language files pull it from there. But don't make it your priority of course...

djh_ Wrote:And yes, you'll have to download the fonts the one time to put them in the directory, then you can just update from github. Unless you want the powers that be at github to declare a breach of their terms of service, of course...
I didn't know there was a problem with the fonts... As this been discussed somewhere? Can you point me there? (I just want to understand what's the problem) If not, what exactly is the problem with having the fonts there?

@dedaluz
You misunderstood me, I never criticized git or the fact that the skin was using it for updates Rofl, I'm a programmer myself, I'm apologist of things git and svn Nod.

On the skin itself... I must be dumb but... where the hell is that big "system" menu with 2 rows of 4 silver icons? I can't seem to find a way to access it with my remote :/
Nazgulled Wrote:I know, but it would allow to have control over which version we have exactly... I just changed the skin to "Portuguese" and that field showed as "1.0 (stark)" lol... I know there are better things to take care of but maybe you could add a field (somewhere) that is the version field and all language files pull it from there. But don't make it your priority of course...

I think what's more likely is that the string'll be removed entirely. Seeing as there's no way of automatically updating the version number, it'll make synchronising it with github almost impossible.

Quote:I didn't know there was a problem with the fonts... As this been discussed somewhere? Can you point me there? (I just want to understand what's the problem) If not, what exactly is the problem with having the fonts there?

I'd rather not discuss the fonts issue openly, but let's just say they're not exactly open source.

Quote:On the skin itself... I must be dumb but... where the hell is that big "system" menu with 2 rows of 4 silver icons? I can't seem to find a way to access it with my remote :/

It was scrapped as the code was too unwieldy. In fact, the whole thing was unwieldy for everyday use. A combination of that and the context menu is planned, though.
Nazgulled: excuse me for personalizing this question. It was intended to be a general advice.
djh_ Wrote:I think what's more likely is that the string'll be removed entirely. Seeing as there's no way of automatically updating the version number, it'll make synchronising it with github almost impossible.
I'm not the expert on git but, maybe something like SVN is possible? I mean, XBMC builds automatically pull the revision number and place on the setup file name (on windows at least), maybe something can be done with git? I don't know, let the git experts talk about this...

djh_ Wrote:I'd rather not discuss the fonts issue openly, but let's just say they're not exactly open source.
Roger that Smile

djh_ Wrote:It was scrapped as the code was too unwieldy. In fact, the whole thing was unwieldy for everyday use. A combination of that and the context menu is planned, though.
Too bad, it looked quite good and I liked the idea... Just like the same panel type in PM3.HD. I mean, it's a central menu for some kind of things, like shutting down, enable master mode (why isn't this on the context menu by the way?), etc... And it looked way better than a simple context menu and it would fit better. But you have your reasons for scrapping it...

Talking about the context menu, I have another question... My remote as a context menu, which is the same as the context menu button on keyboards, this shortcut/button shows the context menu when on video/music/etc folders/files and it's nice, is there a way I can make it show the same context menu it shows when I press "S" on the main menu? I guess I can map the context menu on my remote using the keymap.xml but I need to know what is the exact action of "S"...
I'll dig up the keymap value for the button menu.

About the version number: it's not so much a difference between SVN and git as between XBMC and its skins. XBMC can supply its SVN build number because it's coded to do so; skins don't have that low-level functionality.
not using IE8 but i do have pop up blocker on. Usually it makes a sound or shows a symbol showing blocking popup but not this time. Will try at home.

Got home and on IE 7 still not able to download. Popups disables and javascipt is on.
V.

*Windows 7 Pro
*EVGA 512-P2-N635-AR GeForce 7950GT 512MB
*ASUS M2N32-WS Pro AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI ATX Server Motherboard
*AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[DOWNLOAD/CHANGELOG] Aeon (via github)3