Apple TV and MKV files?
I know that XBMC can playback .MKV (H264) files on a PC really well.

But, can the Apple TV unit handle, let's say a 720p or 1080p file with AC3 audio at a watchable framerate?

If so, can these files be played over a network stream (locally), and at an acceptable framerate?

I currently do not won an Apple TV unit, but at a pricetag of $250 to playblack my MKV files, the price is right.

I'm looking for people's thoughts and experiences with these file and unit.
Kamshaft Wrote:I know that XBMC can playback .MKV (H264) files on a PC really well.

But, can the Apple TV unit handle, let's say a 720p or 1080p file with AC3 audio at a watchable framerate?

If so, can these files be played over a network stream (locally), and at an acceptable framerate?

I currently do not won an Apple TV unit, but at a pricetag of $250 to playblack my MKV files, the price is right.

I'm looking for people's thoughts and experiences with these file and unit.

The AppleTV cannot handle any old three letter file extension video format. You need to understand your video formats and pick those which the AppleTV can handle.

mkv is a container format, not a video format. use MediaInfo to qualify your video files.

That said, 1080p, not a chance. 720p yes if you pick the proper encoding format.

All said, sounds like you want a general purpose box to play video content that you get from torrents and not worry about what the actual encoding format are, so I would skip the AppleTV and get the new MacMini.

You get what you pay for and nothing is free.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV and MKV files?0