Acer AspireRevo - the first NVIDIA Ion-based (GeForce 9400M) Nettop to launch
Looks very cool. Boxes like this are definitely the future.

Built-in 802.11n support is nice.

I can't tell, is that an eSATA port on the side?
yes.
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/200...nched.html

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Doesn't have optical audio out. That pretty much kills it for me.
But with XBMC you will only get HD Video with the Linux version with VDPAU right?

As WIndows uses CPU only this is no different than any other Atom system. Its the Video Hardware that rocks in ION and to use that you will need VDPAU.
optical audio out is so old school Smile nowadays hdmi carries both fullhd hd video and hd sound. That latter something optical or even coax out cannot
Yeah, but some people might want to run the hdmi to the TV and the audio to a receiver.
But 2 important questions:

1. Is it capable of playing H.264 Content with a high bitrate (~30 Mbit/s)
2. Is it capable of running AEON Stark without any judder
$350 to $450 feels high to me especially since it has no disk onboard from what I can tell. Compare it to this -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856167037 It has a better vid card and it ends up $300 more?
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Yes please...
BLKMGK Wrote:$350 to $450 feels high to me especially since it has no disk onboard from what I can tell. Compare it to this -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856167037 It has a better vid card and it ends up $300 more?

the point is the Ion platform is running a Nvidia 9300 which is supported by the vdpau build and thus can run 1080p video's on just the atom cpu..

and as far as i can see the MSI one you suggest just has VGA? and i guess the 9300 onboard Nvidia beats the Intel GMA 950..
HTPC + Mediaserver
E8400 - ABIT I-N73HD - 2GB DDR2 - 3.5TB - Geforce G210 - ANTEC FUSION V2 - Ubuntu 10.04 - XBMC-PVR

TV-Server
Ubuntu 10.04 - Tvheadend - Smargo Reader - Oscam Card Server - 2x PCI DVB-C
Razor_109 Wrote:the point is the Ion platform is running a Nvidia 9300 which is supported by the vdpau build and thus can run 1080p video's on just the atom cpu..

and as far as i can see the MSI one you suggest just has VGA? and i guess the 9300 onboard Nvidia beats the Intel GMA 950..

Yeah, but it is way to high to compete with the likes of Popcorn Hour IMHO.

But - with VDPAU I built a 1080p system for $150, so XBMC is still in good shape - just need the price of the Ion type system to come down to get wider adoption. It will happen...

xnappo
@coredalae

Yeah, I'm talking about regular users, most of whom don't have a wired network in the house, let alone gig-E, and need to rely on wireless for connectivity. Hence, adequate local storage is more important than if one has a high-speed LAN.

A smallish drive is fine for a nettop, i.e. for Internet browsing & related tasks. But the Ion is a waste of money for a nettop, since Flash doesn't yet use GPU accel, and a single-core Atom is too weak to handle multiple gfx-heavy tabs. 1080p movies are 6-8GB on avg (if we're talking about ripped vids), and a 250GB cap isn't adequate. It also begs the question of how regular users will have access to 1080p movies, since most online hi-def movies you can buy are 720p, and this doesn't have a built-in BD drive.

The $300+ price point is too expensive for a nettop. A netbooks is only a little more with the same power (other than the Ion), plus LCD/keyboard/battery and the portability. On the desktop side, that amount will get you a good C2D setup in a low-profile uATX box. I think this category won't fly until products hit the $200 point for a full config. Also, the connectivity problem will need to be addressed. You're right, wifi is too slow and unreliable, but gig-E isn't the answer either for most people.

@HexusOdy

XBMC already runs 1080p w/ a 3GHz CPU. Again, speaking for regular users, it's easier (and about the same price) to get a 3GHz low-profile box running on Windows/Mac, than to have to install Linux on an Atom/Ion to get GPU accel. People have a hard enough time with Linux when it was pre-installed on netbooks.
Yawn.....TomJensen still spewing the same tired, clueless FUD...gigabit isn't the answer and Linux too difficult....lulz.....the acer does have wifi and a internal ir receiver but you would actually have to know what you are talking about but that has never stopped you in the past.....
The Acer Ion could be just the ticket for XBMC Live if linux GPU decoding works out, its exactly what I and I'm sure others been waiting for.
a) Low noise
b) small form factor
c) no diy job
d) HDMI output
e) cheap enough

I didn't know it had an internal ir receiver that's just the icing on the cake. If Nvidia would throw some of its resources towards XBMC Live it could be a killer app for Ion.
ION platform is perfect for XBMC! It's a TViX/Popcorn Hour killer in my eyes.
This is just the first one to come out. I'm sure more boxes like this one will appear with various looks. This one can be mounted on the back side of a TV/monitor.
Personally I do not care about IR as the XBMC app for iPhone/iPod Touch is killer

Tom,
1. linux being a problem? Just download the special Acer XBMC linux distro which I'm sure will be available
2. local harddrive is the future? Get with the program. Everyone is getting a NAS. Local storage is so old. I even see my self using a USB stick or SSD instead of the built in harddrive just to get rid of some heat and noise.
3. While the WireLess N is cool and all, I personally find wires needed for serious streaming from server/NAS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer AspireRevo - the first NVIDIA Ion-based (GeForce 9400M) Nettop to launch0