Acer AspireRevo - the first NVIDIA Ion-based (GeForce 9400M) Nettop to launch
eddietop Wrote:I hope someone gets a chance to try XBMC on it soon, if it can play 720p without any problems would be the perfect box for me Smile

With VDPAU i'm pretty sure it will play 720p.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
720p is unimportant! 1080p@24Hz is important.
http://en.expreview.com/2009/04/20/zotac...works.html
I really want one.. was about to buy it BUT there is no optical drive.. Sad
Razor_109 Wrote:the point is the Ion platform is running a Nvidia 9300 which is supported by the vdpau build and thus can run 1080p video's on just the atom cpu..

and as far as i can see the MSI one you suggest just has VGA? and i guess the 9300 onboard Nvidia beats the Intel GMA 950..

Ion comes with a 9400M, not 9300 - it's perfect for VDPAU.
xanadu1979 Wrote:Yeah, but some people might want to run the hdmi to the TV and the audio to a receiver.

Why? you can run the hdmi to the receiver and the again hdmi to the TV. Or maybe you have a receiver without hdmi, then we are back to old school.
xanadu1979 Wrote:Doesn't have optical audio out. That pretty much kills it for me.

You never know, it might have optical out through the analog speaker jacks, similar to how alot of laptops support it. The reference platform definetly had it, so even if it isn't there its possible it will be supported in a later version.
Knasher Wrote:You never know, it might have optical out through the analog speaker jacks, similar to how alot of laptops support it. The reference platform definetly had it, so even if it isn't there its possible it will be supported in a later version.

There are also some other solutions like that:
http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi...code=CP267

but it's still pretty expensive Sad
Engadget review:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/28/acer-...vo-review/

"Video playback is the real winner here, with accelerated 1080p video in all sorts of flavors. Unfortunately, you have to know what you're doing. For instance, a 1080p QuickTime movie plays nice and accelerated in PowerDVD, but horribly in actual QuickTime, since it's not GPU-accelerated."

-Ash-
Ive seen a fair few posts about the single core atom struggling with AEON, but how does it perform with PMIII? or MediaStream? I currently use VDPAU with a Nvidia 9400 on my main HTPC, so this box seems like a great idea for my 2nd tv.

I guess mayb itd just be best to wait for a dual core version to come out.
AllanMar Wrote:Ive seen a fair few posts about the single core atom struggling with AEON, but how does it perform with PMIII? or MediaStream? I currently use VDPAU with a Nvidia 9400 on my main HTPC, so this box seems like a great idea for my 2nd tv.

I guess mayb itd just be best to wait for a dual core version to come out.

I don't have the single core, but did mess around with disabling the second core on a dual core system and running xbmc live on it, didn't have any problems with pm3 with it

I'm sure the textures could be reduced if a skin is too complex for lighter machines.. there's a build of it for the apple tv, i'll bet that works as well.
Look at this review:
Acer AspireRevo
Good to hear that the 330 will be in the June refresh for the Revo. It won't help much with the main problem with the current Revo--can't play HD Flash for online video--but general use will be less limited. I think Acer will hold the line on $300 for the 330 in the popular config, and drop the current 230 to $250. Still way overpriced for the mediocre perf, but shouldn't matter for early adopters, being who they are.

I'm waiting to see if it has powered USB ports. Without it, a USB-based remote doesn't work well (can turn it off, but not back on). Given that Acer is charging $50 extra for its motion remote, one would think the answer is yes. It obviously would be RF, since IR doesn't work for VESA mounts.

Inside shots show the wifi to be mini-PCI w/ int ants. It should be easy enough to upgrade it to 11n, and using a pigtail to route reception to one (or two) external ants.

The decision for the porcupine port scheme & VESA-mount is mind-numbingly stupid, although I understand why they did it. Small is hot. The Ion press shots got attention because of its pico-ITX size, not its perf (the 9400M is entry-level gfx). Even though the Revo is more like mini-ITX, it still has to be as small as possible, since that's its only real selling point. VESA mount is fine when you don't have much interaction with the unit. It sucks for port access, or any wireless connectivity (no IR, bad wifi).

But ultimately, the largest problem with the Revo (and by association, the anemic Atom CPU) isn't its fault. Right now, no low-powered CPUs can handle online HD videos. Until Adobe can upgrade Flash for GPU accel, these nettops' appeal will be limited.
Has anyone seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaqcImfnnwU
How about this? http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

It doesn't have the Ion graphics, but if it could do xbmc at 720p I'd be sold.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer AspireRevo - the first NVIDIA Ion-based (GeForce 9400M) Nettop to launch0