Letting the display sleep
I've used my Macbook as an HTPC for a while now, until recently I was using Front Row. I like to leave my media app on all the time and when I haven't touched it for an hour, I like the display to go to sleep. Front Row coped with this fine.

However, I can't seem to get it to work with XBMC. I'm using 9.04 and it doesn't sleep the display after an hour's inactivity as per the system settings - is XBMC overriding this? I know it would be inconvenient if it slept during a movie, but Front Row somehow knew if it was playing something or not and only ignored the sleep setting when it was.

On top of this, if I press ctrl-shift-eject to manually sleep the display it wakes up again after a few seconds. Also, the black screen screensaver seemingly doesn't work - nothing happens. Incidentally, does the black screensaver cut out the backlight or just black over it? Because it would be useless for my purposes if it didn't cut out the backlight.

So, can I somehow have the display sleep whilst XBMC is open?
Anjow Wrote:I've used my Macbook as an HTPC for a while now, until recently I was using Front Row. I like to leave my media app on all the time and when I haven't touched it for an hour, I like the display to go to sleep. Front Row coped with this fine.

However, I can't seem to get it to work with XBMC. I'm using 9.04 and it doesn't sleep the display after an hour's inactivity as per the system settings - is XBMC overriding this? I know it would be inconvenient if it slept during a movie, but Front Row somehow knew if it was playing something or not and only ignored the sleep setting when it was.

On top of this, if I press ctrl-shift-eject to manually sleep the display it wakes up again after a few seconds. Also, the black screen screensaver seemingly doesn't work - nothing happens. Incidentally, does the black screensaver cut out the backlight or just black over it? Because it would be useless for my purposes if it didn't cut out the backlight.

So, can I somehow have the display sleep whilst XBMC is open?

XBMC overrides the system level screensaver so nothing you do there will have an effect. Use the XBMC level screen savers. Fade to black (black screen screensaver) should also sleep the Display.
have something similar to report, but haven't had a chance to look through the debug logs yet.

in 8.10 i had xbmc configured to sleep after 15 minutes, and it did with no issues. after upgrading to 9.04 alpha 1 this no longer appears to work. my display fades, as expected after a couple minutes, but never sends the machine to sleep.

again, i haven't been able to pull logs off of my mac mini to look at this yet, so hadn't reported an error. i hate doing this without proper data to back my claim. @davilla, will try to get you something after work.
bello Wrote:have something similar to report, but haven't had a chance to look through the debug logs yet.

in 8.10 i had xbmc configured to sleep after 15 minutes, and it did with no issues. after upgrading to 9.04 alpha 1 this no longer appears to work. my display fades, as expected after a couple minutes, but never sends the machine to sleep.

again, i haven't been able to pull logs off of my mac mini to look at this yet, so hadn't reported an error. i hate doing this without proper data to back my claim. @davilla, will try to get you something after work.

screensaver sleep and machine sleep are two different things. The screensaver setting only effects the display.

xbmc will never auto sleep itself, you can however make if sleep using the suspend button, lower right red button -> suspend.

when xbmc is not playing content, the osx energy saver sleep should work.
davilla Wrote:screensaver sleep and machine sleep are two different things. The screensaver setting only effects the display.
agreed. sorry for not making it clear, but my comments above are not related to the screensaver.

davilla Wrote:xbmc will never auto sleep itself, you can however make if sleep using the suspend button, lower right red button -> suspend.
then can you confirm the function of: Settings > System > Hardware > Sleep Idle Timeout?

i had been using this as a method of putting my machine to sleep when this idle timeout was reached. in 8.10 it worked flawlessly.

davilla Wrote:when xbmc is not playing content, the osx energy saver sleep should work.
sure, that's an option too. previously was levering XBMC's "Sleep Idle Timeout" as noted above. was i misusing this feature?
bello Wrote:agreed. sorry for not making it clear, but my comments above are not related to the screensaver.

then can you confirm the function of: Settings > System > Hardware > Sleep Idle Timeout?

i had been using this as a method of putting my machine to sleep when this idle timeout was reached. in 8.10 it worked flawlessly.

sure, that's an option too. previously was levering XBMC's "Sleep Idle Timeout" as noted above. was i misusing this feature?

Hehe, never tried it Smile

if "Settings > System > Hardware > Sleep Idle Timeout?" is not working under 9.04.alpha1, file a trac ticket with the details.

It's too hard to keep track of issues in the forums, any repeatable problems should get trac tickets or they risk getting missed.

I use the forums to help find repeatable issues. Once found, then there should be a track ticket created so that the issue, it's description and most important, how to reproduce the problem can be tracked. Without a way to reproduce the problem, no dev can fix it.
davilla Wrote:Hehe, never tried it Smile

if "Settings > System > Hardware > Sleep Idle Timeout?" is not working under 9.04.alpha1, file a trac ticket with the details.

It's too hard to keep track of issues in the forums, any repeatable problems should get trac tickets or they risk getting missed.

I use the forums to help find repeatable issues. Once found, then there should be a track ticket created so that the issue, it's description and most important, how to reproduce the problem can be tracked. Without a way to reproduce the problem, no dev can fix it.
looks like the idle time out is actually causing XBMC to crash in 9.04 alpha 1. will get the respective debug logs in order and open a ticket for this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Letting the display sleep0