[REQUEST] MPD (Music Player Daemon) client / protocol plugin or script
Lightbulb 
Just wanted to let everybody know i have just started work yesterday on an mpd client for XBMC.

It's mostly not working yet, but thought I'd let other people check it out.

I haven't tested it on my actual xbox yet, only on XBMC for ubuntu.

EDIT:
haha, and the url is:
http://code.google.com/p/xbmpdc/
Sounds very interesting Big Grin I'd be happy to try it out for ya.
Lightbulb 
Hey, how about emulating the MPD protocol in XBMC? It would instantly give networked xbmc boxes tons of nice Remotes (for example: sonata, ncmpc), now-playing-widgets etc... I don't really know how hard this would be to implement, but it would be mega hella awesome Big Grin
Cheers,
mots
As nobody else seemed interested in this, I sat down and started writing a python script... I already have a first breakthrough: listing artists and the current playlist work, kinda Big Grin

Had the same idea a couple of weeks ago. Would love to have this too.
Would this make XBMC easier to use, maybe more complex? I don't even know what the MDP protocol is, how would it be used? Can you do a mock up?
Another way to implement the relay from MPD to XBMC would be to create an eventclient and httpapi translation.

so MPD client -> MDP Translator -> EventClient Protocol & HttpApi Protocol-> XBMC
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Maxim Wrote:Would this make XBMC easier to use, maybe more complex? I don't even know what the MDP protocol is, how would it be used? Can you do a mock up?

Click on the link in the first post, dude.
greatant1337 Wrote:Click on the link in the first post, dude.
I'm just a user, and I don't have time to chase down every lead, dude. Think about the devs' time. This user is lucky because topfs2 is already aware of how the protocol works otherwise this thread would probably get mostly ignored because it doesn't explain anything about how this MDP protocol could be incorporated into the XBMC or how it could be beneficial to the users.
Topfs2 Wrote:Another way to implement the relay from MPD to XBMC would be to create an eventclient and httpapi translation.

so MPD client -> MDP Translator -> EventClient Protocol & HttpApi Protocol-> XBMC

This is pretty much what my python-script does, it's not an xbmc-python-script, but just a "general python script", if you get what I'm saying Big Grin

Maxim Wrote:I'm just a user, and I don't have time to chase down every lead, dude. Think about the devs' time. This user is lucky because topfs2 is already aware of how the protocol works otherwise this thread would probably get mostly ignored because it doesn't explain anything about how this MDP protocol could be incorporated into the XBMC or how it could be beneficial to the users.
Thanks for your arrogance, but I'm the guy incorporating the MPD protocol into xbmc, so really, read posts before you comment on them
mots Wrote:This is pretty much what my python-script does, it's not an xbmc-python-script, but just a "general python script", if you get what I'm saying Big Grin

Oh nice, thats a nice approach, would definatly be usable to tie in with MPD that way!

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Wow, approval from an xbmc dev Big Grin

Small update: Nearly everything related to the currently playing track works now (play, pause, prev, next, properly showing the status and the pos in the playlist etc...)

I have no idea why sonatas progressbar is messed up, though...
I can even say that I'm usually on IRC so if you have any troubles with httpapi and / or eventclient don't be shy pinging me.

I'll be uploading a first alpha version to github soon...
What works so far:
  • file based navigation
  • adding files to the playlist
  • removing items from the playlist
  • nowplaying-info
  • play/pause/next/prev
  • volume
  • listing artists

what doesn't:
  • metadata-based navigation (except listing artists, which isn't particularly useful) (won't work until I finally do some regex :/)
  • reordering the playlist (is this even possible in xbmc?)
  • lots of other things I can't currently think of...

Also, the code is quite a mess right now, the SQL queries are probably horrible (I don't really know sql, I was just guessing around Tongue) and it's a bit slow... Oh, and it's only really optimized to sonata, so don't be surprised if other clients don't work...

reordering is possible in the ui but i'm not sure you have api calls to access it

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] MPD (Music Player Daemon) client / protocol plugin or script0