[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use XBMC and Vista Media Center with a MCE remote with EventGhost
my left, right up down and ok buttons aren't working?
ok a reboot seems to fix this problem.. but win7 is starting windows media center when using the "color-buttons"
so I got a question about they keys.

on XBMC for xbox there is a button I push to bring up context menus for whatever I'm doing.
For example, if in music, I highlight the source, press this button and I get a menu where I can add to library or delete or whatever.
What is this button called and where is it in this configuration?
Also is there a button that sends you directly to the visualization, like it's possible on the xbox.

Sorry to ask these dumb questions here but I can't seem to find the keymappings of xbmc windows anywhere.

here, the title and menu buttons
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Image:Xbox-d...global.jpg
Reapur

If you've used the xml file in the first post - then the graphic shows the 'context' button as 'C' which on a standard MCE remote (at least on mine) is the DVD Menu button.

Sorry can't help with the visualisations query.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using a harmony and a MC remote that looks different. I'll just find the code for that context. I just wasn't sure what these actions were called so I could add them.

Cheers
Sorry, I thought all MCE remotes were essentially the same. Standardised specs same buttons, processes, though layout might be slightly different Still if using a Harmony shouldn't be difficult to map a keystroke - I personally use the "info" button to call up the 'context'. With EventGhost open press whichever key you want to assign - on the left hand panel drag the command (which EventGhost will have opened) to the relevant XBMC command on the right hand panel - save and everything should be A OK Laugh
OK, I'm narrowing down my problems.

So What am I doing wrong here...

I create a new "emulate keystrokes" like this

Emulate Keystrokes: s
MceRemote.Start
Emulate Keystroke: s

I also diable the one that you had for "s"

Now evertime I press the start button on the harmony (labeled Menu) but which EG see as mceremote.start VMC comes up.
I have the same problem with mappin "c" to the "guide" button which EG sees as MceRemote.Guide.
The both bring up VMC.

I thought I had understood how the mapping works in EG but this is throwing me.

Thanks
Yeah I encountered the same problem - I think this is the default setting - start-up opened VMC irrespective of which settings I used in EventGhost. What I had to do was introduce a registry setting - see link - http://www.team-mediaportal.com/manual/G...reenButton.

Please note these instructions are for Vista users.

Ignore the fact that the instructions are for Media Portal - they work equally for XBMC. Watch which method you use - there are 2 - the second is the one I used as I am using Vista Home Premium.

This change effectively stopped the system looking to open VMC and opened XBMC instead. Don't worry about making the registry change - should you decide to back to VMC, though I can't think why Big Grin - its a simple case of deleting the registry change and this will revert back to VMC opening on start.

I actually have XBMC opening on 'Green Button' start.
heh heh. I figured these two keys <start> and <guide> were system reserved for VMC. But since I never use VMC, I just disabled the driver. It's good info to know.

And if someone else is having trouble with the Play and Pause keys, I inserted an Emulate.Keystroke m before them.
That brought us that little control menu and play and pause actually worked.

I wonder if that's also in the registry. I'll take a look when I get home.

Cheers
I don't think that it's the buttons themselves that are reserved exclusively for VMC, but the command eg:- if you press the start button and map it to the 'x' button, it will still open VMC, without the registry fix.

Play/Pause - should work within XBMC as remote presses would while playing a DVD in a normal DVD player - without the need to open the 'little control menu' - ie pressing pause, would pause the movie, 'play' would restart, providing you used the xml in the op's first post. At least that's how it does for me.
You're right.
I play music a lot on it. And when I started playing a song and pressed pause, weird things would happen. This is when I was on the library screen. That's why I had to do the m first Smile

steelman1991 Wrote:I don't think that it's the buttons themselves that are reserved exclusively for VMC, but the command eg:- if you press the start button and map it to the 'x' button, it will still open VMC, without the registry fix.

Play/Pause - should work within XBMC as remote presses would while playing a DVD in a normal DVD player - without the need to open the 'little control menu' - ie pressing pause, would pause the movie, 'play' would restart, providing you used the xml in the op's first post. At least that's how it does for me.
does anyone else have problems skipping through a video when you hold left and right on the remote (or keyboard that it's emulating)? it's like xbmc is tryin gto skip ahead too much when you hold it down, and it just ends up locking up, it used to work fine on the microsoft remote on the xbox...?!
Thumbs Up 
Wow, you just helped me fix the double key presses in VMC......Awesome job on this guide and wish I had found it earlier...

thanks
harry3001 Wrote:does anyone else have problems skipping through a video when you hold left and right on the remote (or keyboard that it's emulating)? it's like xbmc is tryin gto skip ahead too much when you hold it down, and it just ends up locking up, it used to work fine on the microsoft remote on the xbox...?!

I've seen that depending on the codec used and the setting that the file was encrypted under. I think it has to do with keyframes, sometimes you can step thru a movie and sometimes it's all messed up.
And on top of that, windows seems to screw up a lot on this. You look at the same video in xbox and it seems to work OK, but in windows it just blows up.
works now perfect for mee.. the ony problem I've noticed is, that my eHome Infrared Receiver (RC6 MCE Remote) starts my System automatically from hibernation within 3 seconds.

If I uncheck the checkbox "This Device is allowed to resume the system for hibernation" (don't know the exact wording in english), everything works fine. But after that I can't boot my windows with my remote (clear why..)

any ideas?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use XBMC and Vista Media Center with a MCE remote with EventGhost3