• 3(current)
ArchLinux + XBMC = Amazing!
Hi Arkay.
The Arch 'xbmc' 'stable' package is known not to work properly on 64 bit. The xbmc-svn package does work on 64 bit.

However, XBMC does have problems on 64 bit in general. Quite often the main developers advise people to use 32 bit to avoid the hassle.

That said, I use xbmc-svn on 64 bit and I'm very happy with it.

Whether you choose to revert to 32 bit or not, I'd strongly advise you to use the xbmc-svn package from AUR. Already it is better than the 9.04 release with several fixes, an improved PM III skin and smoothvideo.

Also: the xbmc-svn package doesn't require pulse.

PS: Pleased to see you're giving mythtv-fixes-vdpau a shot!

Cheers
- Richy
Django Bespoke Business Software, Sydney Australia
Richy,

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go back to 32bit for this, it doesn't take long to put it all together.

Have been running Myth+vdpau under mythbuntu for a while but will be much happier to finally have gotten around to building an Arch frontend Wink

I just built the 64bit XBMC-SVN on my desktop so I'll have a play with it there for now.

Cheers,

Arkay.
Hi, I've been using XBMC for windows for a while now and I've had a play with the Linux version on Ubuntu, but like many of you I've found its very bloated and slow. So I thought, I know I'll try Arch. The install went well and I've got a desktop. I've installed XBMC and that's where the problems start. XBMC loads, but all I get is a blank screen. If I press keys I can hear the system sounds and if I press S and the Left Key once then press enter it exits XBMC properly. I've looked in the log and there are no errors. Can anyone give me some pointers as to what to try please? I've tried starting XBMC without the --standalone and I've tried pressing the / key but neither seem to have any affect.
Please enable debug logging by adding this entry to ~/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml:

Code:
<loglevel>1</loglevel>

If you're not used to this file, have a look here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=AdvancedSettings.xml

After that, restart xbmc and post the whole debug logfile in ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log into pastebin.com, then come back with the URL.

/Haggy
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I think i'm gonna install Arch tomorrow.. Should i install vdpau compatible drivers from AUR or compile them myself using Nvidia's official script thingy?

I believe this is the current official&stable driver version http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23979
toiva Wrote:I think i'm gonna install Arch tomorrow.. Should i install vdpau compatible drivers from AUR or compile them myself using Nvidia's official script thingy?
Neither. Arch has vdpau-compatible drivers in the stable repositories. Just run "pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils" and you're done. Actually it's 180.51 for now. Beta drivers (185.xx) are available via AUR, but you don't need them.
toiva Wrote:I believe this is the current official&stable driver version http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23979
Nope, that package is obsolete. Stable nvidia is at 180.51 and 180.60 is in the pipe. I wonder why that package made it even into AUR as there's no need for it. You generally only need the AUR for rather "exotic" packages like xbmc-svn Smile

EDIT: I have to correct myself. Your mentioned package is needed for CUDA and F@H it seems, but again you don't need it for xbmc.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Looks like i already forgot the difference between normal "pacman repositories" and AUR, looks like i still have some reading to do :p

Thanks
i have this error

/usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libavahi-client.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

waiting for X server to shut down

i have gforce fx 5200 and install nvidia-173xx driver
Install xbmc. using yaourt -S xbmc

please help

THX
Haggy Wrote:Neither. Arch has vdpau-compatible drivers in the stable repositories. Just run "pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils" and you're done. Actually it's 180.51 for now. Beta drivers (185.xx) are available via AUR, but you don't need them.

Nope, that package is obsolete. Stable nvidia is at 180.51 and 180.60 is in the pipe. I wonder why that package made it even into AUR as there's no need for it. You generally only need the AUR for rather "exotic" packages like xbmc-svn Smile

EDIT: I have to correct myself. Your mentioned package is needed for CUDA and F@H it seems, but again you don't need it for xbmc.

Nvidia-beta is useful; its VDPAU support is slightly better in my experience. (Fixed some videos that were troublesome in stable.)
abauomy Wrote:i have this error

/usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libavahi-client.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

waiting for X server to shut down

i have gforce fx 5200 and install nvidia-173xx driver
Install xbmc. using yaourt -S xbmc

please help

THX

Hi!

did you remove or upgrade avahi?
try pacman -Sy avahi when its done installing try to run xbmc, if you get same error you need to recompile xbmc.
i remove xbmc and try to install yaourt -S xbmc-svn
after finish i will tell you

THX decaturguy
Huh? Just install avahi and you should be fine.
Gr8 it's work Smile

THX
well that was exactly what decaturguy tried to tell you Smile
There is any other way to run xbmc
each time i logim to terminal from other pc i get this Error:

xauth: creating new authority file /home/xbmc/.serverauth.2860

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again.

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help