• 6(current)
[DOWNLOAD] Serenity (Beta) Skin
Uploaded rev 21 to the Serenity website.

Changes can be found here:

http://code.google.com/p/xbmcserenity/source/list
Nice. Are those reduced background images for the Xbox in there or should I just keep them and overwrite them each time?
2-7offsuit Wrote:Nice. Are those reduced background images for the Xbox in there or should I just keep them and overwrite them each time?

Keep them for now. I will try to make a separate xbox folder path, that way you don't have them getting overwritten every time. Wink

This is cool - found it on google's toys for developers:

Project Cost

This calculator estimates how much it would cost to hire a team to write this project from scratch.

Codebase: 156,327 LOC
Effort (est.): 40 Person Years
Avg. Salary 40,000$/year
$1,594,995
digitalhigh Wrote:$1,594,995

Not to in any way detract from the awesome work you've done, but give me a break. Eek
Radikaltimes Wrote:you skin looks great .. too bad my wife ...gets lost trying to use it .. so is back to mediastream for this household..

keep up the good work.

I will second this. The navigation is not intuitive, especially for TV shows. A couple of observations:
  • Once the user selects "Movies" or "TV Shows," the first option should be the movie/show list by title, not the genre menu. That's easily the most-used function.
  • When in a drop-down menu, the left and right buttons should move to the left or right dropdown menu. Pressing right to get a breakout menu is confusing, especially when pressing left is essentially "go back a level."
  • When in episode view, pressing left seems to go all the way back to the root menu. While you can scroll back to the top of the menu and use the ".." option, I don't think there should be multiple ways of going back up a level. The directional buttons should be limited to "physical" navigation (rather than conceptual) and force the user to use the ".." option or escape, like other skins.
  • In the main menu, I wonder whether the "Library" option in the submenu is necessary. It seems to have the same result as simply selecting the menu root.
theophile Wrote:I will second this. The navigation is not intuitive, especially for TV shows. A couple of observations:
  • [1]Once the user selects "Movies" or "TV Shows," the first option should be the movie/show list by title, not the genre menu. That's easily the most-used function.
    [2]When in a drop-down menu, the left and right buttons should move to the left or right dropdown menu. Pressing right to get a breakout menu is confusing, especially when pressing left is essentially "go back a level."
    [3]When in episode view, pressing left seems to go all the way back to the root menu. While you can scroll back to the top of the menu and use the ".." option, I don't think there should be multiple ways of going back up a level. The directional buttons should be limited to "physical" navigation (rather than conceptual) and force the user to use the ".." option or escape, like other skins.
    [4]In the main menu, I wonder whether the "Library" option in the submenu is necessary. It seems to have the same result as simply selecting the menu root.

Well, let's see if I can address these without seeming like I'm just arguing with you. I'll explain why this stuff is as it is, and if you have a better suggestion, I'll gladly use it.

1. I *thought* that I addressed that problem already. Yes, on checking, you should start out directly in shows or movies.

2. Okay...I see how this could be confusing...but I found that it was the most efficient way of navigation. If you look at it like "right gives more info, left goes back to the menu"...IDK, I didn't think it was that bad.

The reasoning behind this is because...well, I wanted a fast way to get to the main menu if you want to do something else. Instead of scrolling all the way to the top of a list (which can be irritating if you have an IR remote and 1000 movies), you press left once, and boom, you're there.

3. This has also been fixed in the most recent update. Pressing left will always take you to the menu, and pressing down from that button will always take you back to the list. Backspace is for going up a directory. Again, the reason I have the arrows like they are is actually because it strikes me as easier. A tad confusing at first, but once you understand it, I think it makes navigation a lot faster.

4. Haha...in the original stages, I didn't have these in there. I then recieved comments that it didn't seem right that you had the names of all the stuff in the menus, but could be able to click on the button and have it do "x". Like, "you have a button to the library, but you don't say that that's what it is." sorta thing.

Sooooo...yeah. I'm not opposed to changing something if it'll help make things more user-friendly. I just need to know how. Wink
theophile Wrote:Not to in any way detract from the awesome work you've done, but give me a break. Eek

I know, I know. If only. I was more amazed by the "lines of code" bit. Wink
digitalhigh Wrote:Okay...I see how this could be confusing...but I found that it was the most efficient way of navigation. If you look at it like "right gives more info, left goes back to the menu"...IDK, I didn't think it was that bad.

The reasoning behind this is because...well, I wanted a fast way to get to the main menu if you want to do something else. Instead of scrolling all the way to the top of a list (which can be irritating if you have an IR remote and 1000 movies), you press left once, and boom, you're there.

I totally understand the rationale. My comments are more directed to the "wife-friendly" issue. Personally, it only took me a minute or two of monkeying around and I had it figured out. But like I said, it is more of a "comceptual" form of navigation. In my experience, my wife is more of a concrete thinker, so if she wants to move to the drop-down menu to the right of the one she's currently in, it's frustrating when pressing "right" doesn't go there. It's not a huge usability hurdle, but I've seen my wife sit down to watch something, then give up when she can't figure out how to get where she wants to go.

I'll have to grab the latest version for the other stuff. Thanks!
Uploaded rev26. Noteworthy changes include:

r26
Added Album-level fanart to music in library view, playlist.
Added artist/album level fanart to music files.
Added View Askew logo and code to Studios.

r25
Fixed episode fanart where a stray character was screwing the image up.
Removed actor tag as it was always blank.
Fixed "files" button was offset wrong, and movie title in small info view was a tad off...

For a full changelog, see my sig.

The album/level art stuff is because of the glaring hole in the Music fanart system right now. You'd only see the fanart when showing the artist-level entry. So, I added support for images stored in the ALBUM folder. Drop a fanart.jpg in any album folder, and it will display when browsing any song from that folder.

I also added support so that artist and album-level images will display in files mode.

Check it out. Wink
Would this work around allow you to also show that fanart image for awhile on the music visualization screen when a new song starts? Still hoping for that function someday....Nod
joebrady Wrote:Would this work around allow you to also show that fanart image for awhile on the music visualization screen when a new song starts? Still hoping for that function someday....Nod

Lemme give it a try...

Edit: Nope, sorry. Can't grab the path or folder of the currently playing file = can't tell it where to look for a fanart image. I'd recommend a feature request, either to have the regular fanart available via the vis window, or to have listitem.path available in the vis window...
Sad Darn, I was excited. Yea, I need to make a formal Feature Request after 9.04 gets finalized. I'd really like to have that for my music dedicated xbox in my truck.
joebrady Wrote:Sad Darn, I was excited. Yea, I need to make a formal Feature Request after 9.04 gets finalized. I'd really like to have that for my music dedicated xbox in my truck.

You have an xbox as your stereo in your truck? Niiiiiice...

What skin you using? Wink
Clearity ATM, just because it's got a nice large display of the music info on the visulization screen. Once I get the rest of my music tagged perfectly and with fanart (I've made it to the M's), I may finally get around to updating itWink

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=48716
So what do I gotta do to get you running Serenity on that badboy?
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[DOWNLOAD] Serenity (Beta) Skin0