Fully automated BitTorrent download and sorting for XBMC integration?
Question 
Probably like most of the people that use XBMC, I've been trying to optimize my XBMC experience as much as possible. Hopefully some more of you are in the same boat as me. My goal is to make the whole experience automated ( like the recording/viewing of shows in WMC, although, obviously, much more beautiful).

Here's what I consider fully automated:

Automatically download a file once it is released (eg. RSS through utorrent)
Automatically sort/send this file to a desired, logical location (not sure how to do this)
Automatically have the library scan/add the new file (I've seen a few programs that do this. Can also just update library on start-up I suppose.)

Anyone have a streamlined approach to this? Any input/direction would be greatly appreciated.
a rss fetcher+rtorrent+cron+my self-written tool does this fine for me
Yeah I've written a few tools for this:

- PVR to download TV show NZB files (downloaded with SABnzbd+)
- SABnzbd+ script to copy, rename, create nfo, download thubmnail, and update XBMC library

I'll probably release them shortly, I've just been being lazy in cleaning them up enough for public release. I'll post here when I do. Until then you can try uTorrent with a built in RSS watcher and tvnamer (though I've never gotten it to work) to sort them.
Usenet RSS feed on xbmc -> click show with remote -> SABnzbd downloads it -> SABnzbd sorts the folder -> Script tells XBMC to update library -> Watch.

All with in 5 mins. This is going to change media forever.
utorrent on windows or wine in linux to download from rss & automatically move the the correct place on my nas, then a self written update script that runs 30mins before I wake up and 30mins before I get home from work.

Since you're already using utorrent, here is how I would do it:
1)options>preferences>directories>check move completed downloads to and put the path to wherever you keep your media. (Mine is M:\Media) Check 'append the torrents label'
2) Make each show have its own rss item
3) options>rss downloader
4) select one of the shows, then under 'label for new torrents' make it the path to that show's folder. (ex. "Tv Shows/Lost New items from that RSS feed will go to "M:\Media\TV Shows\Lost") You can take it a step further and use seasons if you want, but you'll have to update it for each season.
5)repeat step 4 for all feeds

it will probably take less than 10 minutes if you're subscribed to no more than 50 shows.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
@PainToad and midgetspy:

That seems like a great solution for Usenet material once the script is finished.

Also, tvnamer is extraneous for me since the xbmc scraper (or MIP or MC scrapers) do a fantastic job of getting the media info without altering the files. Although it might be nice for the files to be named without as much gibberish.

@spiff:

this seems like exactly what I am trying to do. Unfortunately, your method is very clearly beyond my level of understanding with unix.

@rwparris2:

This seems like an almost ideal solution for my level of understanding. This is basically what I have been doing, except I didn't realize that you could auto-tag labels to specific RSS feeds. The only problem with this is that it will take quite a few extra steps to go look what season all the shows are in and then add that season to the labels and update for new seasons.

After reading the responses, I realized this is my ideal solution:

A program that could be assigned to scan a directory (at specified intervals or conditions) of unorganized files and then, using the part of the tv show scraper that determines show/season/episode, send each file in the directory to a final location (e.g. send D:/Downloads/LOST.S02.E11.HDTV.ASDF.avi to F:/Media/TV Shows/Lost/Lost Season 2/LOST.S02.E11.HDTV.ASDF.avi) I suppose also renaming the files so that they are less cryptic (like tvnamer can do) would be icing on the cake.

Thanks for all the responses - very educational.
Hi spiff

Can you elaborate more on your setup (perhaps post the scripts)? i use rtorrent myself but would love to add rss capabilities and the self organizing tools

thx in advance

Zeltak
spiff Wrote:a rss fetcher+rtorrent+cron+my self-written tool does this fine for me

mind sharing your self-written tool? I've considered writing a python script for the exact same purpose, but why duplicate efforts?
rausch101 Wrote:After reading the responses, I realized this is my ideal solution:

A program that could be assigned to scan a directory (at specified intervals or conditions) of unorganized files and then, using the part of the tv show scraper that determines show/season/episode, send each file in the directory to a final location (e.g. send D:/Downloads/LOST.S02.E11.HDTV.ASDF.avi to F:/Media/TV Shows/Lost/Lost Season 2/LOST.S02.E11.HDTV.ASDF.avi) I suppose also renaming the files so that they are less cryptic (like tvnamer can do) would be icing on the cake.

Thanks for all the responses - very educational.

Try TVRename instead, it will do that.
joebrady Wrote:Try TVRename instead, it will do that.

TVRename looks like it will work with my limited (non-Matlab) programming ability. I can't believe I didn't see that in the 20 google searches I did.

Thanks for the help!

I'll post back on how well I have it working, assuming someone will be in the same situation I was in.
rausch101 Wrote:TVRename looks like it will work with my limited (non-Matlab) programming ability. I can't believe I didn't see that in the 20 google searches I did.

Thanks for the help!

I'll post back on how well I have it working, assuming someone will be in the same situation I was in.

Get on their forums and look at the command line functions that you can setup with a scheduler.
I've been toying with the idea of having the mip tvshowupdate command line tool auto-rename files.. most of what's needed is found in the scan anyway (season, episode num, episode name).. i'll see how that works out with some test files. Heck it could even sort them into the correct folders for the season as well.

Mip already has the option to handle missing episodes in the gui (although i'll be very few folks use that option as I intentionally left the commands out of the gui (info in mip's wiki)
rausch101 Wrote:This is basically what I have been doing, except I didn't realize that you could auto-tag labels to specific RSS feeds. The only problem with this is that it will take quite a few extra steps to go look what season all the shows are in and then add that season to the labels and update for new seasons.
I don't actually put in what season it is, I never ever use xbmc outside of library mode so a flat directory Lost/S01e01.avi works fine for me.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
That sounds great fekker. I'd be glad to help with testing if you like.
I do organize my tv shows according to season an all that, heck I even sort my movies according to genres (first if they have many, which they always have..) Although my movies wouldn't have to be organized according to genres anymore..

One thing I've always though would be nice (you could call this a feature request, although I don't know if you accept requests..) If you don't, then just ignore my friendly "suggestions"

Any newly added movies would get the genre of "recent" or something and only that.. that way when XBMC updates it's library there would always be a genre called "recent" where all my new movies are, and after that, as they get flagged as watched, MIP could add the accurate genre tag to them.. Of course if the user so likes he/she can always have insist that a movie get's the proper genre right away.. Hmm..

Actually.. you know what I'd also like.. If one could limit the genre count in settings or something.. to me, a movie getting scraped with 7 different genres is just redundant, and I would much rather be able to limit it to say 3, for instance.. though this would of course be user-configurable.. Big Grin

Btw.. the tvshowupdate commandline idea sounds excellent, having a system that takes care of itself is something I'm still dreaming of.. getting closer.. Smile
Fiinix Design presents: Posters, for Movies, TV Shows, Games, Arcade etc.

» Latest Poster-Pack: The Silhouettes, TV Shows
» Upcoming Poster-Pack: To Be Announced

» Game & Emulator Poster, request here
» Movie/TV Genre Poster, here

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fully automated BitTorrent download and sorting for XBMC integration?1