Fully automated BitTorrent download and sorting for XBMC integration?
xeonicxpression Wrote:Bringing back a slightly old thread. This thread is what actually got me interested in doing this. I ended up using SABnzbd+, Newzbin, and a small python program I wrote to download movies. For Tv shows I use NZB-tv and SABnzbd+.

SABnzbd+ - http://www.sabnzbd.org
NZB-tv - http://www.two-sided.com

Funny you should mention this. I too just switch from my flexget/torrent setup over to SABNzb+. I got a decent deal on some newserver so decided to go back to that method, also my RSS torrent feeds had become unreliable lately. I use a slightly different method than you though.

I use this site here MyTVNZB It allows you to make your own custom RSS feed for only the shows you watch and also allows to set what quality you want. XVID/x264. It parses the tvnzb.com site I believe. So far it seems to be working well, couple that with SABNzb's sorting features and it seems to be a fairly solid setup so far.

With the price of newsgroup access always falling it seems to be a good alternative to torrents, specially since all ISP's in my area throttle torrent use it was becoming a hassle as it would slow down my other internet use. FWIW it costs about $27 for a 200gb block of download credits from my newsgroup provider or $65 for 500gb. I did the $25 option as the 65 only saves you $2 or something like that. The tvrss feed is free. So this should last me about 6 months or more if I refrain from downloading too much other than TV, I currently download the xvid quality stuff. I may move up to x264 when I get a better TV.

I am using Arch Linux. :-) As for movies I don't automate that at all. I prefer to just pick what I want as I am kinda picky about my movies.

Kevin
PainToad Wrote:Usenet RSS feed on xbmc -> click show with remote -> SABnzbd downloads it -> SABnzbd sorts the folder -> Script tells XBMC to update library -> Watch.

All with in 5 mins. This is going to change media forever.

Has something like this been implemented? This is essentially what I'm looking for. I just set up a home theatre for my parents and for them to be able to get their new TV shows with the click of a button like that would be great.

If something like this would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction? I'll keep looking in the meantime, thanks in advance though!

EDIT: I guess I found what I was looking for here, I think so anyway: http://forums.sabnzbd.org/index.php?topic=494.0
ould Wrote:Funny you should mention this. I too just switch from my flexget/torrent setup over to SABNzb+. I got a decent deal on some newserver so decided to go back to that method, also my RSS torrent feeds had become unreliable lately. I use a slightly different method than you though.

I use this site here MyTVNZB It allows you to make your own custom RSS feed for only the shows you watch and also allows to set what quality you want. XVID/x264. It parses the tvnzb.com site I believe. So far it seems to be working well, couple that with SABNzb's sorting features and it seems to be a fairly solid setup so far.

With the price of newsgroup access always falling it seems to be a good alternative to torrents, specially since all ISP's in my area throttle torrent use it was becoming a hassle as it would slow down my other internet use. FWIW it costs about $27 for a 200gb block of download credits from my newsgroup provider or $65 for 500gb. I did the $25 option as the 65 only saves you $2 or something like that. The tvrss feed is free. So this should last me about 6 months or more if I refrain from downloading too much other than TV, I currently download the xvid quality stuff. I may move up to x264 when I get a better TV.

I am using Arch Linux. :-) As for movies I don't automate that at all. I prefer to just pick what I want as I am kinda picky about my movies.

Kevin

I was using mytvnzb for a little bit. It seems to work pretty good. NZB-tv seems to be a little unstable for me as of late so I may go back. I'm not thrilled with how NZB-tv works either. Episode butler seems pretty good, but it only has a low, med, and high quality setting. How do you handle the problem of multiple copies of the same show popping up in the mytvnzb rss feed? When a new episode of House comes out the RSS will have the LOL version and Dimension version.

I have 6TB of storage, with plenty of room to add more drives, so I'm not real picky about my movies. Laugh I figure that if it has a high enough rating on IMDB it will be a movie either my girlfriend or I will like.

I'm using Astraweb for my newsgroup provider. I'm on a special that's only $11/month for unlimited download and SSL. They also just came out with a $96/yr offer for the same service. http://www.news.astraweb.com/special
digitalhigh Wrote:SO...in order to use your setup, a person needs to get an invite to Newzbin. They then need to buy services to said site. Then, we'd need to rebuild your program that you're not even sure you want to post on here...just to make it work with the site we have to pay to use?

Not trying to be rude, but I personally don't see the point.

Maybe if it worked for a more universal OS, or worked with free sites, or hell...didn't require me to pay to get credit, it would be appealing. But I personally don't mind having to do a little legwork to get my Movies...

Way to add valuable information for those who read this thread. Someone requested spiff share his code and he never did. Midgetspy was going to but never did. What is the point of their systems? No one else can use them so they are pointless, right? Atleast I gave an outline of how the program works. I didn't write it with great aspirations of everyone on here using it. In fact, if the program never sees the public eye I perfectly fine with that. It was made by me for me to fit my needs. I don't need to make it work for a more "universal os". I'm pretty sure there are plenty of computers out there running windows, so I would say it is pretty universal already. The program runs on my headless file server in my basement which runs Windows Server 2008. Why would I try to make it Linux compatible? Just so that it would appeal to you?

I added to this thread not to say "Here is my system now everyone use it", but instead to stir up conversation. I'm interested in hearing about what other people do and what they do different. As it turns out ould is also using SABnzbd+ now, but goes about tv shows different than I do. I want to know how the RSS feeds have worked out for him. It seemed a little messy to me when I tried it, but that was at the very end of the tv season so I didn't really get time to play with it. The other solutions I have found have not really thrilled me so far. Maybe I'll end up having to write my own small program to take care of that also. If it do, it will be made to fit my needs and that's it. Infact I think I'll do that. I just took a quick look and using TVrage and Newzbin it should be pretty easy. Just a few slight modification to my movie one and it should work.Cool

No need to trash my system just because it isn't ideal for you. I'm glad you like your system for tv and it works for you, but I would never use it. I've used torrents in the past, but since I moved to newsgroups I have never looked back. Sure, torrents are great if you are looking for older content, if it's even seeded, but that's about it. Just because mine doesn't rely on all free sources (3 out of the 5 sources are free by the way) doesn't mean it has no value. It costs me a $11/month for newsgroup access (soon to drop to $8/month) and $2/month for newzbin access. If a person wants a newzbin invite all the have to do is google newzbin invites. There are alteast two forums that have threads dedicated to getting people newzbin invites.

You say you don't mind doing legwork for movies, well either do I. That's why I took the time to do this. Now I don't need to do as much legwork. Sure there is the possibility that I'll get a bad copy of the movie, but that is pretty rare. That can happen anytime you download a file so it's really not a big deal to me.

So please, next time for feel the need to interject a comment like that, just move on to the next thread. You really do nothing but drive people away from the community and stop them from posting when you create a hostile atmosphere. Hopefully your comment won't stop anyone from telling us about their system. Who knows, maybe someone out there has a slick way of doing things that no one has posted here.

On a side note: There is a script called SABnzbd Smart Downloader that looks like it does what mine does. I haven't tried it though. There is also a program call mediarover on that same forum. I haven't tried it either. I just like having my own solution. It was a good project and I'm kind of a control freak.Eek
xeonicxpression Wrote:No need to trash my system just because it isn't ideal for you. I'm glad you like your system for tv and it works for you, but I would never use it. I've used torrents in the past, but since I moved to newsgroups I have never looked back. Sure, torrents are great if you are looking for older content, if it's even seeded, but that's about it. Just because mine doesn't rely on all free sources (3 out of the 5 sources are free by the way) doesn't mean it has no value. It costs me a $11/month for newsgroup access (soon to drop to $8/month) and $2/month for newzbin access. If a person wants a newzbin invite all the have to do is google newzbin invites. There are alteast two forums that have threads dedicated to getting people newzbin invites.

Trust me, I wasn't trashing anything. If I was trying to be insulting, you would know it. I was simply offering my opinion on something you asked for opinions on.

Quote:The program runs on my headless file server in my basement which runs Windows Server 2008. Why would I try to make it Linux compatible? Just so that it would appeal to you?

No, I don't even use Linux. Hell, I never even said linux. But the idea behind XBMC is that it should be as universal as possible, and that idea typically extends to the support programs that arise as a result of it. It was a suggestion...something I, again, assumed you were looking for seeing as how you posted your setup in a public forum.

Quote:So please, next time for feel the need to interject a comment like that, just move on to the next thread. You really do nothing but drive people away from the community and stop them from posting when you create a hostile atmosphere. Hopefully your comment won't stop anyone from telling us about their system.

I added to this thread not to say "Here is my system now everyone use it", but instead to stir up conversation. I'm interested in hearing about what other people do and what they do different.

Please, the next time you get your panties into a bunch because somebody said something that offended your personal sense of dignity, keep it to yourself. I'm entitled to my opinion, as are you, and such is the point of a forum...the open exchange of ideas. All I said was why I didn't find it appealing, and then suggested ways that it would be appealing to me.

If that offends you, well, that's something you'll just have to deal with.

You literally told me that you wanted tho hear what people do differently, then told me that I shouldn't comment. To the latter part, I'm quite inclined to describe a few places in your anatomy you could relocate your keyboard to. But that's just plain rude.

Now...to keep the thread on track...

If you really want to get things moving, I would suggest making your program/script freely available (perhaps on another site), and posting it in-tact so that people can more easily modify it if they wanted to. I would also suggest the inclusion of torrents, or perhaps an option to switch between the two at a user's discretion.

As torrents are a wholly free commodity, it would most likely be much more appealing to those people who don't want to (or can't) spend even $10 on a subscription to a usenet site.

Lastly, I would suggest exploring the universality of this program on other OS'es, as XBMC is a multi-OS based community. Maybe it is compatible with WINE for the MAC people, or MONO, or something to that effect. Hell, it would be nice if you could just say that you know which Systems it could be run on...

Really dude...you need to lighten up. Anyone who knows me on here knows that I'm all for the progression of anything related to the scene.
xeonicxpression Wrote:I was using mytvnzb for a little bit. It seems to work pretty good. NZB-tv seems to be a little unstable for me as of late so I may go back. I'm not thrilled with how NZB-tv works either. Episode butler seems pretty good, but it only has a low, med, and high quality setting. How do you handle the problem of multiple copies of the same show popping up in the mytvnzb rss feed? When a new episode of House comes out the RSS will have the LOL version and Dimension version.

Hi there,

After my first week of new episodes for some of the summer tv I watch everything has been working great(after I figured out the RSS feed wasn't activated in SABnzb, doh!). No duplicate episodes and so far only xvid quality which is how I setup my feed as I use an original xbox for my tv shows currently. I think the feed only brings in one version of each quality level to avoid duplicates, I may be wrong but that is how it seems so far. We'll see how it goes in the next couple weeks, I will be out of town on vacation next week so it will be interesting to see if everything works totally unattended.

xeonicxpression Wrote:I'm using Astraweb for my newsgroup provider. I'm on a special that's only $11/month for unlimited download and SSL. They also just came out with a $96/yr offer for the same service. http://www.news.astraweb.com/special

I find the flat rate download blocks work better for my needs as I try to download my HD movies from other sources and only use my usenet as a fallback to stretch out my credits. I try to just download my tv and other smallish sized stuff from usenet. I used to astraweb as well but tried this other service this time, so far so good.

For everyone else here is a new project I just read about on the SABNzb forums. MediaRover It seems pretty new but it could be promising. Currently my setup is working pretty smoothly with less hassle so I will continue using it until I need something more. But just thought I would point it out for others as this method seems platform independant and totally automated, you just need to schedule the task once everything has been configured.

Here's another option I just found while going through my bookmarks HellaVCR, it was originally made for HellaNZB but according to the webpage it works with SABNZB as well.

Kevin
REMOVED....Program doesn't work anymore.
Not sure if this is going to be helpful, but this is how I do it.

My set-up: I run XBMC on an Acer Aspire 330. Media is stored on an external (1,5TB) drive attached to an airport extreme wifi router, which is connected directly be ethernet cable to the Acer. My main computer is a Mac attached to all this wirelessly, and it is the mac that does most of the work.

I run two System Preference panels:

The first is called "Automatic", which simply checks nominated RSS feeds (I use eztv) for new torrents which match a given criteria eg vampire.diaries and downloads them, where they are picked up by Transmission (bittorrent client). Once downloaded, the files are moved to a nominated folder. Pretty much any bittorrent client will do this.

The second pref is "Hazel", which looks at those folders, and moves files, again based on various criteria. Using this method, the complete download is moved to the appropriate folder on my media drive, and XBMC picks it up at the next start-up.

Pretty simple, and seems to work OK. The library does not update automatically, but since I shut down every night it's not that big a deal. I'd still like to have the Acer to do all the work, but I'm no computer expert, so I'll wait until smarter heads come up with something I can install.

R.
post removed.
I use ezrss.it and utorrent to automate tv shows, in a very similar fashion to Rimoff's first method mentioned a couple posts above.

I wrote a detailed guide on how to set it up on a different thread yesterday, and here is the link for anyone who might be interested:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=526...stcount=19
aptalca Wrote:I use ezrss.it and utorrent to automate tv shows, in a very similar fashion to Rimoff's first method mentioned a couple posts above.

I wrote a detailed guide on how to set it up on a different thread yesterday, and here is the link for anyone who might be interested:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=526...stcount=19

Have you tried Torrent Episode Downloader (TED)? I use this. It does what you are doing plus adds a more functionality like a full GUI, more RSS feeds (plus customer ones too), auto scraping tv data, etc.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Quote:Have you tried Torrent Episode Downloader (TED)?

TED + sorttv is doing a great job!

It does not matter in my setup but the major issue with TED is that it can not run headless. I start it minimized in the xbmc x sesssion and I configure it in a background gnome session using nx server. This will not suite everyone and the only alternative is to run TED on another computer than xbmcLive.

I was looking into flexget today, but I really dont get the rss feed deal. What is up with that, why cant I define the feeds as a search like in TED? Or can I? The people writing instructions for flexget do not see a need to explain or give a working example.
Perhaps it is because it is dying and everyone have left for usenet?
vikjon0 Wrote:TED + sorttv is doing a great job!
I was looking into flexget today, but I really dont get the rss feed deal. What is up with that, why cant I define the feeds as a search like in TED? Or can I? The people writing instructions for flexget do not see a need to explain or give a working example.
Perhaps it is because it is dying and everyone have left for usenet?

What is dying? FlexGet? No, we're still working on it and new releases appear usually daily. FlexGet also works with usenet just fine as well as with torrents. Since it doesn't actually care what client is used to do actual downloading.

Anyway, In Flexget RSS is just one type of source which you use to search desired content with filters. And there are filters for series and movies etc ...

There are some examples in the cookbook, check that out.
Quote:There are some examples in the cookbook, check that out.
My problem was to connect the examples (dummy urls) in the cook book with a real provider url. I think I get it a bit better now. I have also tested sick beard with torrents and it is using flexget I think. I am still currently considering starting with usenet, I did a few tests and it seem to work very good.
Audio-Matic will have fully automatic Music torrent downloading and post-processing (provided you have a client the supports torrent blackhole downloading... most do).

I'm finishing up the code now.. probably have most of it done tomorrow.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fully automated BitTorrent download and sorting for XBMC integration?1