Indexing and flagging offline removable USB / ESATA / FIREWIRE harddrives in library?
well, we need someone who will make a patch, I think it should be very quick job for anyone who knows basics of programming.

xbmc devs won't likely add support for this, so we just have to wait until someone with same problem and programming skills does Smile

in meantime, you can customize some skin and use $INFO[ListItem.FilenameandPath] for example.

I have organized external drives like this:
01-EXT, 02-EXT etc

after customization of mediastream skin I can see HDD# directly when browsing medias Smile

wish I would know programming better, I would definitely add support for external medias.
ezechiel1917 Wrote:well, we need someone who will make a patch, I think it should be very quick job for anyone who knows basics of programming.

xbmc devs won't likely add support for this, so we just have to wait until someone with same problem and programming skills does Smile

It's really a pitty... because I have programming skills and I know that it should be at max 2 hour of work, by someone that knows where to touch the code.
However my programming skills are related to Java and Enterprise Applications... It's about 6 years that I no longer write C/C++ code.
Moreover you need to download all XBMC code, create your developement environment with all the libraries and compilation dependencies that are needed... then try to figure out which class you have to change...
For a newbie it's a long work... no more 2 hours but perhaps 8 working days (16h) more or less...
In these situation, XBMC Dev Team should adopt another good strategy exploited by other opensource projectes: sponsorships!
You input a ticket (for example in Trac) with a feature request, then you sponsor that request with a donation (for ex. via paypal) and the developer that will take care of the issue will gain the money (or the whole team will, assigning sponsored features to various developers, using shifts)...
It's a good way to have new features implemented and for the team to be motivated in implementing features that are really "necessary" for the community.
Imagine if me you and other 48 persons would donate 1$ for this... then the developer that agree with the implementation will receive 50$... not bad for a dialog popup!!!
However... thanks for the tip about the skin... at least I'll implement that same thing... do you know if it's possibile, in the skin, instead of printing the full path, just "extract" from the path, the subdir related to "/media"? Thanks!
You can use substring and display custom images (something like studio/hd flagging) if you know exact strings what you'd be looking for, for text there is no left or mid substring to extract just part of the path afaik.
Having sourcename as Infolabel would easier the job, not sure if it's something easy to add or if it requires some more work, either way it's something I don't except to be added from devs.
no we won't ever accept bounties.

and following your logic nobody could ever have developed this application. i mean, the imaginative first dev that already knew how to do things should have done everything. after all, he knows exactly how to do things and how much thing they take. much like you apparently
Lightbulb 
spiff Wrote:no we won't ever accept bounties.

and following your logic nobody could ever have developed this application. i mean, the imaginative first dev that already knew how to do things should have done everything. after all, he knows exactly how to do things and how much thing they take. much like you apparently

Not sure I understood what you said... obviously it's because of my English...
However, just to clarify, my intention wasn't to flame anybody... you're doing really a good job with XBMC!
This is why I've decided to take a look at the source code. I've read that it's even possible to use Eclipse as IDE... I use eclipse for java, so I just need to install the C++ plugin and... refresh my C++ knowledge Rolleyes
... well I think it won't be too difficult since I'm not starting from scratch, but working on existing classes...
The problem here is really "time": in my spare time I'm already working on the "MyMovies.it" Italian scraper, changing something in Aeon skin, studying Android platform... and... I have some problem with my PC too (I ran low of disk space... should reorganize my partitions)...
... and, obviously, it's Summer time!!! Laugh
I'll see what I can do... but meanwhile, a MOD for a skin to have the "media/<label>" displayed, in not that bad...
Hi,

I was wondering if it'd be interesting to code an overlay similar to the watched/unwatched property for videos in the library. But it could signal if a video is "offline/connected" whether it is in a removable media that is not connected right now (such as an USB disk).

I've got several movies/tv shows in USB disks (or in other computer's network) that they are not available and it'll be good to be able to show them (or even filter them out like you can do with your watched items).

Does this functionality exist? hat do you think?
it's not currently doable, but it is surely not a shabby solution.
spiff Wrote:it's not currently doable, but it is surely not a shabby solution.

From your comment I take it you don't find the idea too repulsive... Laugh

If so, I'll fill a feature request ticket and I'll try to give it a go myself to implement something. Any ideas or directions on where to go/start are welcome.

Regards,
One way would be to fix this http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5104 alongside were you'd have

special://uid=foo/bar/some.avi

instead of the normal folder as

/media/drive/bar/some.avi

Then you'd only need to check if uid=foo is inserted.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Lightbulb 
While upgrading T! and XBMC I noticed that my movies/music front covers went from "plain" covers to be "inside" a case (looks way cool btw) Smile
I believe that cdArt is also causing my music front covers to have an attached blank CD spinning while I play music. Again cool! Cool

So in the search of some way to pre-indicate the user that some movies are offline I thought.

Would it be possible, for an end user, to modify the skin in such a way that it also adds a DVD (cdARt like) to a selected number of movies?

I have my .nfo, .tbn and fanarts for offline movies.
I have my fake video file that asks for a DVD to be inserted

But since T! (or XBMC dunno) already knows how to "combine" front covers with images of Cds/cases this should be doable, or not?

Input appreciated Wink
Not possible at this point. Should be doable (at least) for dvd/cd media.
Please file a new feature request.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
there's been several requests for 'offline' indication before.
most users seem to be wanting to see some kind of offline media flag (similar to the other media flags) for this.

the only way i can think of, from a skinning point of view, is to add an 'offline' tag to the filename (or foldername) for offline media:
e.g. /home/media/movies/Harry Potter.offline.avi
or e.g. /home/media/movies-offline/Harry Potter.avi

this way i can check the filename (and/or foldername) in the skin and display the flag accordingly.

btw, to avoid false positives, 'offline' might not be the best string to add and there has to be some kind of consensus between everyone what string to use, so it works for everyone.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
I don't really like the aeon-ish way of "filename-flagging" Wink Another attempt would be to mark the given media as offline in db. That way we could prevent it from being deleted on database cleanups or other database related operations.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
vdrfan Wrote:I don't really like the aeon-ish way of "filename-flagging" Wink
i certainly agree. i was just thinking out loud, trying to come up with a workaround that would work with the current state of xbmc.

vdrfan Wrote:Another attempt would be to mark the given media as offline in db. That way we could prevent it from being deleted on database cleanups or other database related operations.

great idea, you should trac it. ;-p
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Done, #7265. No ETA though (as always) Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Indexing and flagging offline removable USB / ESATA / FIREWIRE harddrives in library?1