HD content - Important or Not Important ?
There is alotta discussion about performance for 720 and 1080 HD content
video. But i can't stop wondering if HD is something users of XBMC is using
or if the main part just uses regular SD video content ?

I cant currently watch HD on my linux based XBMC due to hardware problems, but even if i could i really dont think that its important to me. regular SD divx/xvid files ripped from DVD releases is more than good enough for my needs.

It would be fun to see a poll in this forum about this topic Wink

I dont say that HD is a hype in itself, HD is the future no doubt. But i more think about here and now... Like first of all HD movies does take alott more time to download/encode and more space pr file so on. Is it only me that finds regular SD movies good enough at the time beeing ? Smile
I always opt for HD content whenever it's available. Always.
HD is the whole reason I'm using XBMC on my HTPC.
Agree. The same reason I haven't built and HTPC.Rofl
Needed maybe not but desired totally if you have a HDTV the quality difference is huge to have a native 1080p video that upscaling a scene release 640x228 movie to that size
The only time I ever watch something in SD is if it is a TV show that doesn't air on an HD channel. If I feel like watching a movie but it isn't out in HD I usually just watch something else, heh.
Its hard to go with HD stuff here in AU with our pathetic download limits (90gig month for me). But I like having the option if something special and worthy comes out.
Hitcher Wrote:HD is the whole reason I'm using XBMC on my HTPC.

I 100% agree

the xbox with xbmc was fine for sd content (have 4 of them network around the house... but times have changed.. All of my currently obtained media is 720p/1080p HD

I built two window's based XBMC boxes just for easy playback of this HD content.

I am looking forward to nvidia's ion platform as the perfect companion to the VDPAU linux branch of XBMC.

Heck I'd love if XBMC would sell there own set-top box for 1080p playback
1080p/720p was initially the only reason I switched from the xbox. I think now with all of the HDTV price drops happening, HD content will become more and more important to people and so will the support from xbmc.
100% HD content and only HD content (movies)!

I have a HD DVR from my cable provider that allows me to record to its integrated hard drive so it doesnt have to be included in my XBMC setup but it's all HD.

I have even downloaded all 2 seasons of the tv show Pushing Daisies and that's 720P HD as well, lol.

Freakin Samsung HDTV is one of the best things I have ever bought myself.

TC
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
Of course, HD content all the way...

I opt for HD content whenever possible, it makes ALL the difference if you have an HD TV set... When I watch a standard SD movie, it just doesn't feel the same, it just doesn't feel normal. You know what it feels like? It feels like I'm watching a movie from TS or CAM source... I'm so used to HD and ll the detail, that a dvdrip feels that way to me...
I have a 42" LCD HDTV (Yeah...not that big, i know), yet ALL but one of my movies in XBMC is SD. In terms of visual appeal, i say HD all the way, i much prefer it over SD content.

That being said, i have many Blu-Ray discs of movies and TV Shows that i have bought and watch. But, at this point in time i am fine with them on disc. I don't need to take up copious amounts of storage space with them.

So, i do watch a lot of SD content, simply because i have a lot of it.

When HD becomes cheaper and more available, then that will be all i buy. But for now, my DVD purchases are much higher than my Blu-ray ones.
Movies about 95% HD.
TV-shows about 70% HD.

If I have the option I always choose HD.
HD whenever possible.
Well this seems to be pretty much a one way HD street Smile

Maybe i need to get my ass around and investe in a computer that can run hd content and smoothvideo. Since i allready have a 40" LCD HD tv
i guess i need to watch more HD content Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD content - Important or Not Important ?0