A new website for the XBMC Community
My friend just told me about a new website that just opened up. It seemed pretty cool and i could definetly see that its going to be the place to go for everything I cant find here. Im not really one for promoting places but I figured that the whole community could eventually benefit from this one.

Check it out: theproject:XBMC ( www.theprojectxbmc.com )
Interesting. How does "your friend" think that this will benefit the community exactly? Surely it's more useful to focus ones efforts on improving the xbmc.org site itself?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

The very front page of that site calls XBMC the Xbox Media Center. At that point, my already low expectations dropped drastically.
My expectations continued to drop when I saw the only available download for XBMC on Windows was 8.10.
wow, i know i'm sure i'll be coming back because of such a "friendly community". What part of NEW was misunderstood? I mean, the place has ONE "guide", which is why i said
Quote:i could definitely see that its going to be
... i never said it was. I never even heard of XBMC until yes, my friend (no quotes) told me about that site. I only signed up here because whatever information it had was good enough for me. I'll probably be posting my future comments on their site though because i hope they'll be a little friendlier.

Nate: The "about" page of THIS SITE says
Quote:XBMC, recursive acronym for “XBMC Media Center“
I'm intrigued as to how "your friend" discovered theprojectxbmc.com exactly, given that a google for "the project xbmc" links to here (including if you do it without the spaces)?

You're welcome to post over there all you like, as is "your friend". Perhaps you could get a comment from "your friend" on how this is supposed to benefit the XBMC community?

It seems to me that it would be better to concentrate ones efforts on improving the state of the site where the XBMC community hangs out, first and foremost. Spreading information across sites leads to more confusion more than anything else.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Competence low, hostility towards criticism high. This should go well.
Yeah, rather like the Slashdot thread in which a Microsoft rep claimed that Vista was the most secure OS on the planet. That went over well...
Fail. Carry on.
I have feet on the bottom of my legs!
I apologize if I came off as hostile. I was only taken back by the hostility I received when I placed my first posting! Granted, I should have thought that my first post talking about some other site would seem shady but my intentions were good in that i wanted to lend a hand to the place that turned me on to this great program.

Believe me, I know what comes up in google when you type "XBMC". I tried finding some skins and it wasnt easy. I had to search all over the google code pages and there was only ONE site that was a "fan site" for the "XBMC Media Center" and that was xbmczone.com. They had a good selection of downloads and was the only REAL site out there that had what i was looking for. But that was it.
As for "my friend", I didnt say "Joey told me about this site..." because you dont know Joey and I dont know what name he uses here so it wouldnt have made a difference because you would have the same remarks about my friend "Joey". Anyways, Joey knows the guy who's making the site and he was trying to help him spread the word and I was trying to do the same.

I wont speak on behalf of Joey, but I can say that I think they can help the community because:
> It had the biggest selection of skins and scripts next to xbmczone that was all in one place instead of searching all over the internet and the google code area
> The forums have a couple similar areas for developers but they have unique topics, like a place to brag about your setup. Its not as technical as this site that focus' on support.
> I thought I saw that they said they're going to donate 10% of their donations to you guys. That doesn't seem like a whole lot to me but its better than nothing!

How is any website that offers information sharing not beneficial to the community? Its not like they're try to compete with you guys. They're trying to be another source for spreading the word about this great program, which in turn will help fund you guys.
Seeing as you appear to be in contact with the owner of this site, perhaps you could suggest that he or she pops by these parts and offers his or her expertise more directly to assist the XBMC community?

We love it when people want to do things to improve the community, and appreciate the enthusiasm, but to be quite honest, it's beyond me why people decide to go and spend many hours on some completely different site instead of contacting us directly and offering to work with us on this site. We've seen it happen time and time again, and the inevitable result is the person gets tired of it, or it doesn't generate the revenue they thought it would, and it fades away. http://xbmc.org isn't going to fade away any time soon.

We are more than willing to work with others to host skins, addons, scripts, plugins etc. on our site with a nice frontend for users - we just don't have the time to put into this. Here's someone who DOES appear to have the time to put into this, so why not contact us directly and offer to help out?

And just FYI: The skins are located on sourceforge, not on googlecode. There's a nice list of them found by googling for "xbmc skins" and clicking on the 5th link (the first 4 are useful as well, ofcourse), including links to where they're located on sourceforge, and the websites of the skins that aren't located on sourceforge...

Cheers,
Jonathan

hikaricore Wrote:I have feet on the bottom of my legs!
Holy shit! You too?

@XFaktor - the problem with fan sites in general is that they dilute the community. The majority will come here, some to xbmczone, and a few confused plebs to that thing you linked to earlier.

If you think skins & such are too hard to find on this site, you should post here and tell us what you think the problem is and how you think we could improve it. Starting a new ad infested site doesn't do anything helps nothing.

Quote: I'll probably be posting my future comments on their site though because i hope they'll be a little friendlier.
Yes I'm sure all three of them (including admin and two navi-x coders) will be very nice.

Edit -- jm beat me by two seconds, and said everything I did much more eloquently, just read his and ignore me.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
Just to be clear, Xfaktor, I was not attempting to be critical of you. I was being critical of that website. While they do admit in their "about" section that:

"XBMC, (is a) recursive acronym for “XBMC Media Center“

They only do so after having already written:

"At theproject:XBMC, we are committed to ... assist you with all of your XBox Media Center needs."

Not cool.

The other reason I was hostile was because I'm very frequently the guy who says, "It's not working because it's an old build. Please install a more recent build than 8.10." Fan sites should be the FIRST sites to include these more recent builds in a formal way. This site did not include a more recent build, thus the disparaging response. It'll be really nice when 9.04 goes out of beta, so I can stop making that statement.
It's interesting that the most salient point that have been ignored so far is that the XBMC name & associated asset is an IP that has real tangible value. Likewise, the XBMC logo, while I doubt that it has been trademarked, by most measures belong to its owners/creators, and requires permission to be re-used. Even then, there'd need to be clear disclaimer that this is an unofficial "fan site" and not by the actual owner(s) themselves.

As presented, the site can easily confuse people that it's the official site, doing harm to both the IP and its perception, and possibly diverting any benefit, monetary or just recognition, from the real owners. Just because it's open-sourced and freely copied doesn't mean you (your friend) can do anything you want with it. It's not OK.

I've taken a second look at the site and it's definitely not kosher, depicting XBMC.org as merely another site, and asking for "XBMC" donations. I'm not a lawyer, but if this site were to continue to exist in present form, the XBMC folks should think about contacting one and take appropriate action. A C&D letter would be the first step, if asking nicely doesn't work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A new website for the XBMC Community0