[REQUEST] Comics / Comic strip plugin
Seems like a fair share of the comics has a uri built up by date, some has a numeric value, but a lot of them has randomly generated or non-systematic uri's.

An alternative may be to add the regular expressions in a external file (e.g. xml) to make it easy to maintain and keep it updated. But one should then keep the directory structure of the plugin very simple to avoid a dead plugin killed by it own complexity.

Another problem is to figure out when the first release of the plugin was, when it releases (daily, weekly, non-specific?), which comics got released today? Handling of individual comics would add to much complexity..
scrapped using httpfox,

http://darkgate.net/comic/?showme=bc:bee...ofid:ziggy
While the idea of keeping the configuration in some XML file with URLs sounds interesting, my view is that people would like to choose a site and page through that - that means parsing the page, and some sites do allow for more entries per page (comics.com), while for other you have to make multiple calls to get more entries (explosm.net).

Anyways, here's my stab at it - get the plugins\pictures\Comics from my repository (dandar3-xbmc-addons) using SVN Repo Installer. This is open for feedback, other sites to be added etc...
Thank you! This is a great start - only obvious problem is that right now it is limited cause it only pulls out 2 specific cartoons.

Maybe also (is this asking too much?) add some views to it, for instance a mosaic view with several cartoons for that week?
Just when I finished that I realized that at comics.com you can get a list of all comics using the "All Comics" button at the top and there's plenty in there for a standalone plugin - I'll scrap this one and start a new one just for comics.com, soon, please remind me in a few days if you don't hear anything from me.
I just modded the Google Reader plugin to read gif images. Now it can handles the comic feeds from comics.com or darkgate comic slurper (imho: awesome).

here are some screenshots..

pic 1: added to favorites!
pic 2: listing comics
pic 3: "closeup"
pic 4: Marmaduke

and the modded files... extract to your plugins/Google Reader

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f2e28...f6e8ebb871

To make this work, login to your google reader account and add a feed from comics.com or darkgate.
*You may or may not need to overwrite your skin resources file.
You will at least need to overwrite your pluginAPI/bbbLib.py .
This is the only thing i really did was mod this file to look for gif images in the source feed. Other than that my mod is just to adjust the output display for zoomed in comics to my taste.

I have found it necessary to use the Items by Label option (in google reader) to get this to work though. Not sure why.

*edit: Add the Comic feed to your favorites and rename as you see fit.
*edit2: its not really a solution so much as it is a fix.. for now.
Peace.
Interesting mod, well done.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] Comics / Comic strip plugin1