Live 810.2 Beta1 Install latest SVN PPA with VDPAU helper.
Hey All,

I though I would whip up a quick install guide for setting up the latest Live Beta with the SVN PPA including VDPAU.

This worked fine for me, but all systems are different so if you have data you do not want to loose I suggest you BACK IT UP first.

XBMCLive 8.10.2 Beta 1

Install
Update to latest Alsa
Update to latest Nvidia Driver
Update to nvidia-180-libvdpau

This is the base live install Beta 1 - So a M$ remote is default defacto std, I will not get into Lirc setup it is beyond the scope of this article.

I am also not configuring your xorg.conf file here, I suggest you do some research on your TV and here is a link to a great howto on getting the info you need to properly setup custom modelines for your display device. I suggest you read through the post a couple times before you make any changes or try to complete the tutorial the link supplies. You can damage your display device using the wrong parameters so please READ UP.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1003099&page=2

Download the beta ISO and burn to disk with your favourite iso burn program.
I install to a Harddrive so I do not use USB build feature.

*This is for NVIDIA Cards Use also check and make sure your Nvidia Card is Supported for VDPAU*

***WARNING*** - REMOVE ALL DRIVES YOU DO NOT WANT TO INSTALL XBMC ON - THIS WILL ERASE YOUR DRIVE COMPLETELY***

1. Install XBMCLive - Boot from ISO and choose install to usb/hdd - pwr up after install is complete.

2. Exit XBMC (login with xbmc/xbmc)

3. Thanks to indianolajohn, do these steps first as pre-requirements. Make sure the key is accepted before you paste in the 2nd line. When pasting the 2nd line make sure it confirms an OK. When making the directories make sure you include the slashes as typed below.

Code:
sudo gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv 2BBD133164234534
sudo gpg --export --armor 2BBD133164234534 | sudo apt-key add -
sudo mkdir /var/log/apt/
sudo mkdir /boot

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install wget

Code:
wget https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC/tools/XBMCLive/runXBMC.sh

Code:
cp /usr/bin/runXBMC.sh ~/runXBMC.sh.old

Code:
sudo cp ~/runXBMC.sh /usr/bin/runXBMC.sh

Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade
(Do not worry about the held back packages right now and do not run autoremove)

Code:
sudo vim /etc/apt/sources.list
(I use vim you can use whichever editor you like) paste the following two lines to the bottom of your sources.list file, then save and exit the file.

Code:
deb http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos release/
deb-src http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos release/

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-180-libvdpau

14. cd ~

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`

Code:
sudo mkdir install

17. cd install

*NOTE* - NVIDIA DRIVER - Below is the ftp address for the latest nvidia beta driver, if it gives you cannot dwld it here then just dwnld it (right click save target as) to your desktop machine and then ftp into your live machine and copy it over.

Code:
wget [url]ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/185.19/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.19-pkg1.run[/url]

19. make sure you are in your install directory

Code:
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.19-pkg1.run

*NOTE* Follow the prompts say no to the first question and yes to everything else. You have installed the latest NVIDIA beta driver. I have not tried with any other version BUT live and vdpau work fine with this one.

21. cd ~

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Let it install all the packages and update/upgrade xbmc to the current svn ppa 9.04 Alpha1. I have tested this for a few days now and on a single core 3200 with 1gb of ram with the killa sample I see 50% cpu usage and only 7 dropped frames. This dist-upgrade holds back the kernel, because it is kernel live 8.10.2 Beta 1 is shipped with.

24. Upgrade Alsa to 1.0.19

25. cd ~/install

Code:
wget  http://217.20.138.65/xbmc/AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.16.sh

Code:
chmod a+x AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.16.sh

Code:
sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.16.sh -di

Let it run it's course It may take a while, when the script stops and shows the command line you can issue a sudo reboot, After the reboot hit ctl-alt-f2 login with xbmc/xbmc and run alsamixer make sure all your iec958 channels are unmuted and the pcm and master volumes are at min 80. (press m to mute/unmute) esc to exit

*NOTE* If you are using a P5N7A-VM board make sure and edit your

Code:
sudo vim /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

and add to the bottom of the file.

Code:
options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig

now hit ctl-alt-f7 to go back to xbmc.

if you are using spdif then in settings-system-audio just change output from analog to digital.

if you are using hdmi then modify your settings-system-audio in xbmc

to a rcvr then

digital - on - on - hdmi - hdmi

to a TV then

digital - off - off - hdmi - hdmi

Make sure you set VDPAU as the decoder in setting/video/player or you will not get vdpau decoding. If you want to see it in action then load up and play a HD file and while it is playing hit the play button on your remote to see the a/v decoding info at the top of the screen hit play again to exit.

A couple notes.

A grabbed a couple lines above from Olympia's P5N7A-VM thread, thanks Olympia. Thanks to grassmunk for posting a few helper links on his posts in the 8.10.2 Beta 1 thread. Thanks to indianolajohn for his additions below which I have noe included in the howto.

Logging into console - I posted above to use xbmc/xbmc, that is username = xbmc and password = xbmc unless you changed it when you setup Live so use whatever you made your password when installing live.

There are several threads on asoundrc files, if you are using hdmi and having issues with desktop sounds or 2 channel and mp3 files playing to quickly then you may need to create this files again there are several threads on the forum documenting this and a quick search will reveal them.

I have now done this three time on the same machine following the guide as it is comprised above and it works every time. Enjoy!!

Hope it helps

rgds,

Dave
thank you for pulling all of this into 1 thread for us

Will test out tonight

Have you compared this to the ubuntu mini installation?
indianolajohn Wrote:thank you for pulling all of this into 1 thread for us

Will test out tonight

Have you compared this to the ubuntu mini installation?

I think they should be on par, but having the all the stuff in the right places on One iso is way better as far as I am concerned AND you do not have to spend an hour or so downloading the operating system. You will be up and running much faster with the live version. Ofcourse the mini install will let you pretty much partition the system how you like.

Dave
I think you need to create a /boot folder for this to work properly. Good guide though.

cheers
harryzimm Wrote:I think you need to create a /boot folder for this to work properly. Good guide though.

cheers

No I did not have to Harry, this version uses Grub. It did complain it could not find, /var/log/apt directory, I created one and set the permission but still got that error after the major upgrade.

Dave
Sorry Dave, my bad.

cheers
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2BBD133164234534
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

kellemes Wrote:Not critical..

Type from a terminal window.
Code:
sudo apt-get update

(I use vim you can use whichever editor you like) paste the following two lines to the bottom of your sources.list file, then save and exit the file.

hit o to enter edit mode esc to exit then :wq to save and quit
Code:
deb http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos release/
deb-src http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos release/
your error is just a keyring issue, I usually just ignore them if I cannot find the key and I looked in the http://ppa.launchpad with no luck.

But there are bigger issues currently.

I am working on a fix. There has been something added to the upgrade package that is breaking this right now and I am trying to figure out what it is. This worked fine for the last three days and now I am getting a

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-11-generic
touch: cannot touch `/boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-11-generic.new': No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/mkinitramfs: 299: cannot create : Directory nonexistent
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-11-generic
dpkg: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
E: Directory '/var/log/apt/' missing
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

The only package I can see trying to affect this is udev, But I cannot find it in the list to try and revert.

Dave
IT worked i did these and the keys i posted a min ago and all of it works

i used this as step 1

Code:
sudo gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv 6D975C4791E7EE5E
sudo gpg --export --armor 6D975C4791E7EE5E | sudo apt-key add -
sudo mkdir /var/log/apt/
sudo mkdir /boot

and nvidia site would not to let me get the new driver so i had to do this
after i ftped over the files to the xbmc directory

Code:
sudo sh ~/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.19-pkg1.run
new driver
Code:
sudo sh ~/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.04-pkg1.run

Code:
sudo sh ~/AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.16.sh -di
@indianolajohn,

great job, my eyes were seeing double last night I think. I ended up making the boot directory as well but I was making it in the wrong place. thanks for adding the corrections, I have updated the guide.

@harryzimm

Sorry Harry, my bad. Wink you were right.

Dave
Everything is working great

i was dropping 250 frames on killa sample

now i drop 60, 35 right when it starts (i always drop frames when a movie starts mostly 6-20) and 30 more after that

runs about .5 on cpu0 and 3.5 on cpu1

i have a amd 5400 x2
with a M3N78-VM 8200
and 2gb ddr 800
using hdmi audio and video

still lose the input after changing sources on the amp
indianolajohn Wrote:Everything is working great

i was dropping 250 frames on killa sample

now i drop 60, 35 right when it starts (i always drop frames when a movie starts mostly 6-20) and 30 more after that

runs about .5 on cpu0 and 3.5 on cpu1

i have a amd 5400 x2
with a M3N78-VM 8200
and 2gb ddr 800
using hdmi audio and video

still lose the input after changing sources on the amp

I am only dropping a few frames on the killa sample with a 3200 single core and 1Gb DDR-400 with an 8500gt silent V/C, I think less than 10 and at 50% cpu usage on that single core.

Explain your "lose the input" problem.

I have mythbox running OK except for an .xml error in the guide which I am trying to figure out. I also have Mediastream 1.0 running everything I have tested so far with no issues.

Dave
this is a big issue on the nvidia fourms and the asus fourms if anyone with a 8200 igp has this working let me know
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2...uage=en-us
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthre...ost1987432

I recently switched from a foxconn A7GM-S 780 G motherboard with a geforce 7200 using a DVI to HDMI adaptor
To a ASUS M3N78-VM with nvidia 8200 integrated graphics. I am using the integrated HDMI

The HDMI is running to My Sony STRDG-820 amp as well is My Satellite and Server PC (running Vista and 3 1TB HD’s)
Then I have a HDMI running from the sony amp into the SONY Bravia KDL-52w4100 (a Tv which I hate by the way I had the Phillips and it was 40 times better)

When I switch sources on the amp say from XBMC -> SAT then Back to XBMC I get no picture I know the media center is on bc I can hear the menu working (not anymore since I’m getting audio over HDMI but when it was analog I could hear it) so I power it down and reboot and it comes back up it is really annoying.

Are you streaming Killa Sample over the network or playing it locally?
indianolajohn Wrote:I recently switched from a foxconn A7GM-S 780 G motherboard with a geforce 7200 using a DVI to HDMI adaptor
To a ASUS M3N78-VM with nvidia 8200 integrated graphics. I am using the integrated HDMI

The HDMI is running to My Sony STRDG-820 amp as well is My Satellite and Server PC (running Vista and 3 1TB HD’s)
Then I have a HDMI running from the sony amp into the SONY Bravia KDL-52w4100 (a Tv which I hate by the way I had the Phillips and it was 40 times better)

When I switch sources on the amp say from XBMC -> SAT then Back to XBMC I get no picture I know the media center is on bc I can hear the menu working (not anymore since I’m getting audio over HDMI but when it was analog I could hear it) so I power it down and reboot and it comes back up it is really annoying.

Are you streaming Killa Sample over the network or playing it locally?

I am streaming it over the network. I have The Blue Planet Series Blu-Ray backed up to my server as .ts files. There is support for it as a TV series on TVDB which worked out just great.

Does your sony rcvr play with the signal at all. My Denon does and did until I turned of the upsample feature and it is strictly a pass-through for the video now, until I did that I was having problems as the edid information for my xorg was being supplied by the denon, I can turn on or off upsampling for video per input on my Denon which helps a lot.

Dave
Thanks for the great guide! I've run through it a couple of times now and I suspect I'm in for a facepalm here, but when you say 'Make sure you set VDPAU as the decoder in setting/video/player' are you referring to the GUI Settings / Videos / Player -> 'Render Method' selector? The only options I see are Auto | Software | GLSL | ARB.

I'm using an ASUS P5N7A-VM board with HDMI video/audio to a TV. It's only got 256MB of video memory; I've heard a couple of rumors that 512 is required but I can't find any definitive references; regardless I've tried setting the iGPU frame buffer to 512 (which I think means it uses main memory for the frame buffer). Is there anything non-obvious that needs to be done to enable VDPAU support (startup switches, BIOS changes, xml configuration, etc)?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live 810.2 Beta1 Install latest SVN PPA with VDPAU helper.0