Problem playing some mp3s
Recently installed xbmc on intrepid as per the wiki and generally all seems well except some mp3 files do not play.

Specifically some BBC podcasts play ok (eg Friday Night Comedy from BBC Radio 4 .. ) while others (eg Fighting Talk) report an error 'audio h/w incorrectly configured' and although playback progresses there is no sound.

The mp3s play fine on other players - the only obvious difference in the files is that the ones which doesn't work is mono (ie 1 channel).

Debug log is at http://pastebin.com/m30fcfe00 - the file playing at 21:39:06 plays ok while the one at 21:39:24 generates an error.

Any suggestions?

paul
i see you're using hdmi, it's probably connected to a tv or receiver that does not except mono audio signals.

so you'll have to resample the audio to stereo before you send it over the hdmi link.
this can be done by creating a .asoundrc file in your home directory:

Code:
pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
   ipc_key 1024
   ipc_key_add_uid false
   ipc_perm 0660
   slave {
      pcm "hw:0,3"
      rate 48000
      channels 2
#     format S32_LE
      period_time 0
      period_size 1024
      buffer_time 0
      buffer_size 4096
   }
}

pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

next, set the 'audio output device' in XBMC to default.
You are correct it is connected by HDMI to a TV (Sony KDL32D3000U).

I added the file, restarted xbmc and I now have 'navigation sounds' when using the remote however the mp3 playback still reports the same error.

The settings | system | audio hardware | audio playback has a choice of digital or analogue and is set to digital - or am I looking in the wrong place?

paul
pshepherd Wrote:You are correct it is connected by HDMI to a TV (Sony KDL32D3000U).

I added the file, restarted xbmc and I now have 'navigation sounds' when using the remote

most navigation sounds are encoded at 22k5Hz, which is not supported by some/many tv's. by using the .asoundrc file you're resampling the audio to 48kHz, that's why you're hearing them now.

Quote:however the mp3 playback still reports the same error.

try if adding this to advancedsettings.xml helps:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <audio>
    <resample>48000</resample>
  </audio>
</advancedsettings>

not sure why it's needed, but it fixed some issues for me with files that wouldn't play.

Quote:The settings | system | audio hardware | audio playback has a choice of digital or analogue and is set to digital - or am I looking in the wrong place?
paul

nope that's correct. the settings should be:
digital
dolby on
dts on
hdmi

in case none of the above works, check if you can play the file with the DVDPlayer in XBMC:
right click on the mp3 > play using > DVDPlayer
ronie Wrote:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <audio>
    <resample>48000</resample>
  </audio>
</advancedsettings>

AFAICT this doesn't make any difference ..

ronie Wrote:nope that's correct. the settings should be:

digital
dolby on
dts on
hdmi

With the above settings, ripped DVD sound tracks are reduced to a plague of locusts (lots of clicking) .. if I try:

digital
dolby off
dts off
default (previously I had this set to hdmi)
hdmi

The mono mp3 and other all other sound files/tracks seem ok - although not sure what the dolby and dts setttings mean in the context of my setup (pc+tv and no exotic audio kit).

Looks good, thanks for your help Ronie ... my only other sound issue is with iplayer radio (.ra files) not working but that's probably another thread.

paul

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem playing some mp3s0