• 7(current)
You can have three new views. Discuss.
Hitcher Wrote:Which is what the new list view (in slim mode) is for.

Besides I wouldn't say the other views are 'extremely poster centric' as they're quite small images.

That doesn't make them not poster centric - the poster is the central item in Wall, Panel, *and* Showcase. The screens above seem like what I'd expect if I browsed my .tbn files in the Picture viewer.

Not to mention that we also don't have a view in Aeon that showcases fanart at all really, which I'd like to see before yet another poster view. A fanart + long list view satisfies a few things that're just missing from Aeon completely rather than adding a different version of what's already there.

I mean obviously it's just a matter of opinion, I'm just trying to make a case for my opinion :0). You know what would be absolutely amazing would be if Aeon could provide more than 4 views and we could choose in the settings which 4 showed up in the view changer.
Don't know if possible but having an alpha-numeric menu so you can quickly get to media starting with any letter would be very nice. I think there is a mock up earlier in this thread.

Same idea would be to have a genre menu as well, the default handling of library/genre's is sort of clunky it would be nice to have access to these menus instantly from the ALL (default) view.

I am guessing this is a XBMC limitation rather then a skinning one cause one would assume we would have seen it already.
dandirk Wrote:Don't know if possible but having an alpha-numeric menu so you can quickly get to media starting with any letter would be very nice. I think there is a mock up earlier in this thread.

Same idea would be to have a genre menu as well, the default handling of library/genre's is sort of clunky it would be nice to have access to these menus instantly from the ALL (default) view.

I am guessing this is a XBMC limitation rather then a skinning one cause one would assume we would have seen it already.

have you installed the modpack with submenu ?? this lets you quickly get to genre or newest or any other part of the library
Whatever is designed as the new view I would like to see the option of somehow allowing the thumbnails aspect ratios to be changed by the user.

For example in a list view or showcase view there could be posters or squares (the kind of artwork used for itunes tv shows). I find it hard to get good quality artwork for tv show seasons apart from on itunes so I would like to see this, but I use posters for the 'whole tv show' image.

This could be really hard to code though, just a suggestion.
jamsponge Wrote:I find it hard to get good quality artwork for tv show seasons apart from on itunes so I would like to see this, but I use posters for the 'whole tv show' image.

Umm...the theTVdb.com doesn't fit your needs? Huh
The TVDB is great for posters which are made by people but some arn't great for individual seasons. iTunes is always consistent and great quality. All I was saying is it would be nice to choose which artwork I would like. If your 100% happy with TVDB then that's great.
i do not think you are looking for a new view for Pictures, but as i was playing with the old and new File Browser views today they had a baby Shocked

And i was thinking all it needs is some of that good old djh magic for it to become i nice view for Pictures.....

As a previous Kaleidescape owner, and the system is all about the media, I can tell you that while cover art, and other eye candy things are nice it is not what one really focuses on when they want to sit down and watch content.

With a Kaleidescape system everyone is blown away by the cover art shuffle view but it gets very old after a couple days and I find that the view I used the most was the "List view"

Here is the image of the movie list view

Think of it this way: You sit down because you want to watch a movie,
1. maybe you want to sort it alphabetically as you know the movie you are looking for
2. maybe you want to watch a comedy so you highlight the genre and click on comedy and the list is sorted by genre
3. maybe you are sitting down with the family (including kids) so you move over to rating and click PG and the list is sorted by rating and shows easily the movies you can watch
4. Maybe you are currently on say Airforce One with Harrison Ford and you want to see what else you have with Harrison Ford in it so you highlight the actor and select Harrison Ford and now it is sorted by Harrison Ford.
5. maybe you like a particular director...see #4 above as it works the same
6. maybe you only have 90 mins to bedtime or till you have to head out so you want to see what you have in your collection that is 90 mins or less. move over to the time and select it and your collection is sorted by time.

Again if we are thinking less about JUST eye candy since Aeon delivers there!!! and more about using the system and focusing on the media I think this view works great. The same thing can be done with music too...

Now for adding some eye candy I am sure using transparency and fanart in the background along with some other goodies would be awesome. I just would not try to recreate every other view within this one as it has a purpose which is quickly helping you find content you want to watch.

Interested in hearing your thoughts
smack Wrote:As a previous Kaleidescape owner, and the system is all about the media, I can tell you that while cover art, and other eye candy things are nice it is not what one really focuses on when they want to sit down and watch content.

With a Kaleidescape system everyone is blown away by the cover art shuffle view but it gets very old after a couple days and I find that the view I used the most was the "List view"

Think of it this way: You sit down because you want to watch a movie,
1. maybe you want to sort it alphabetically as you know the movie you are looking for
2. maybe you want to watch a comedy so you highlight the genre and click on comedy and the list is sorted by genre
3. maybe you are sitting down with the family (including kids) so you move over to rating and click PG and the list is sorted by rating and shows easily the movies you can watch
4. Maybe you are currently on say Airforce One with Harrison Ford and you want to see what else you have with Harrison Ford in it so you highlight the actor and select Harrison Ford and now it is sorted by Harrison Ford.
5. maybe you like a particular director...see #4 above as it works the same
6. maybe you only have 90 mins to bedtime or till you have to head out so you want to see what you have in your collection that is 90 mins or less. move over to the time and select it and your collection is sorted by time.

Again if we are thinking less about JUST eye candy since Aeon delivers there!!! and more about using the system and focusing on the media I think this view works great. The same thing can be done with music too...

Now for adding some eye candy I am sure using transparency and fanart in the background along with some other goodies would be awesome. I just would not try to recreate every other view within this one as it has a purpose which is quickly helping you find content you want to watch.

Interested in hearing your thoughts

+1 to this.
rausch101 Wrote:+1 to this.

Absolutely, this is what I was trying to say earlier when I said that the view should focus on the MEDIA (movies) not on the meta-media (fanart/posters).
I was just wondering if I missed feedback from djh somewhere or if the new items he has introduced are the result of this thread.

Can someone let me know or better yet can djh respond?

Thanks in advance,
smack
Elements of this thread, certainly. The Kaleidescape thing was never going to happen as it simply doesn't conform to XBMC's current feature set, the typical formatting of its scraped information, or the functions available to its skins. You could make something that looked similar, but the sort and cross-fetching functions that really validate it can't be done.

If you really want to see that kind of thing in XBMC, first you need to wait until it's passed its next milestone, when the team will be more open to feature requests. If - and it's a big if - such functions get introduced, you'll then need to help standardise the scraper sources so you have consistent info and syntax for things like movie certificates, cast and running time. Only then could someone really create a view that worked reliably in the fashion you describe. Elements of it exist in XBMC but are too localised to really come together.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
You can have three new views. Discuss.0