AppleTV Playback framerate issues
so the alpha1 of 9.04 doesn't include the new ffmpeg?

I've been flicking between having V Sync on and off. With it on the TV shows are a bit jumpy and with it off I get smoother play back but with artifacts.

Are there any other options to change to improve play back?

PS. I'm running Launcher 3, 9.04 a1 and 2.3.1 ATV
brentonmac Wrote:so the alpha1 of 9.04 doesn't include the new ffmpeg?

I've been flicking between having V Sync on and off. With it on the TV shows are a bit jumpy and with it off I get smoother play back but with artifacts.

Are there any other options to change to improve play back?

PS. I'm running Launcher 3, 9.04 a1 and 2.3.1 ATV

Sorry, I'm confused. What does ffmpeg have to do with GPU decode acceleration on OSX ?

Qualify your video content with MediaInfo then pastebin some meaningful info. "TV Shows" means nothing to me regarding video content and play back requirements.
I was under the impression that the new version of ffmpeg would help with the decoding of these higher bitrate videos.

http://pastebin.com/m3e951766 for the movie info.
ffmpeg can't do a whole lot to improve on the fact that the ATV has a 1GHz single-core processor. As a rule of thumb, 720p MKV is a no-go on ATV, although it is possible to get acceptable results with lower bitrate profiles and encodings. From your pastebin, your file is encoded at too high a bitrate, in x264, with progressive scanning thrown in just to make matters more complicated. If you want to play 720p on the ATV reliably, I suggest you move to a lower-overhead encoding method.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

phi2039 Wrote:ffmpeg can't do a whole lot to improve on the fact that the ATV has a 1GHz single-core processor. As a rule of thumb, 720p MKV is a no-go on ATV, although it is possible to get acceptable results with lower bitrate profiles and encodings. From your pastebin, your file is encoded at too high a bitrate, in x264, with progressive scanning thrown in just to make matters more complicated. If you want to play 720p on the ATV reliably, I suggest you move to a lower-overhead encoding method.

If you were encoding from the source and just wanted acceptable 720p playback from your ATV running XBMC, what codec and bitrate would you recommend? What audio would be easiest on the ATV?

I guess we need to take into account the no gpu...

I've been looking for the sweet spot, but want to stay out of FrontRow...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AppleTV Playback framerate issues0